SSD drives - Gnome Terminal, GnuCash, HPlip, Qcad Pro

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

SSD drives - Gnome Terminal, GnuCash, HPlip, Qcad Pro

Postby shade304 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 0:23

Recently upgraded one machine to two mirrored SSD drives and experienced some unusual behavior: when opening a report in GnuCash, nothing shows up.

Wasn't sure what was going on, but when other problems surfaced ("tab tab" autocomplete in gnome terminal stopped working and scrolling back to see the results of ls -lsa only showed black), I was able to narrow it down. Because I did a clean install, the drive was set up with a 100 MB tmpfs drive mounted as "/tmp" - this seems very small, and basically when it fills up a lot of weird things happen, none of which include a warning to what the real problem is.

I changed the size in the /etc/fstab and it's good.. My understanding is SSD drives need to be treated differently to keep from prematurely burning themselves up, and while that is great, there was no way to anticipate what was coming, with my old drives /tmp was a normal directory with no apparent size limit.. If this is the default behavior, it may show up quite a bit as people migrate to new drives.

Next installing Qcad Professional failed: "line 392: ./setup.sh: Permission denied" the solution is to use the --keep option: ./qcad-3.0.0-prof-linux-x86.bin --confirm --keep, did not have to use that option before, is it related to /tmp and tmpfs?

Then installing my HP printer I get the following error.. "error: Python gobject/dbus may be not installed, error: Plug-in install failed. line 395: ./hplip-plugin-install: Permission denied".. look familiar? The solution is a little more complicated because hp is downloading and running the commands for us, so it is best to use the --debug option to see what is going on and manually install:
wget http://www.openprinting.org/download/pr ... plugin.run
chmod 750 hplip-3.13.3-plugin.run
./hplip-3.13.3-plugin.run --keep

I hope this will save someone else time later..
shade304
Simple Hen

Re: SSD drives - Gnome Terminal, GnuCash, HPlip, Qcad Pro

Postby life-on-mars » Thu Aug 01, 2013 16:45

shade304 wrote:My understanding is SSD drives need to be treated differently to keep from prematurely burning themselves up,

Modern SSDs should have a longer life than HDDs regardless of how you use them, and at the end of their service life (which would be at least 10 years from now), you'd rather have them as antiques hanging on the wall than somewhere in a computer.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Return to Hardware