Open-source ATI drivers with AMD Radeon HD 6480G?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Open-source ATI drivers with AMD Radeon HD 6480G?

Postby The Catboy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 22:41

I have an HP Pavilion dv6-6c11nr Entertainment laptop with an AMD Radeon HD 6480G Shared video memory GPU and have been trying to use the open-source ATI drivers since I started using Sabayon, but every time I try I either get a black screen with a blinking cursor in the corner (which I already know how to fix) or my laptop just freezes after boot on a back screen and I need to reboot into recovery to fix it. I was wonder what is the proper way to install open-source ATI drivers with my laptop if there is a proper way?
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Re: Open-source ATI drivers with AMD Radeon HD 6480G?

Postby albfneto » Fri Jul 05, 2013 20:21

if you prefer open-souce drivers,re-install the kernel, the drivers and dependencies, with these commands:

Code: Select all
# equo up
# equo u
# equo i linux-sabayon xf86-video-ati mesa mesa-progs eselect-mesa
# eselect opengl set xorg-X11

then reboot. if you is still without X, try

Code: Select all
# /etc/init.d/xdm restart

instead, if you want to use the proprietary drivers, see this:

https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28808
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby The Catboy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 23:32

I tried that and still freezes at boot.
I actually have the proprietary drivers installed, but I GNOME 3's menu isn't transparent, which I heard was fixable by using the open-source drivers instead of the proprietary.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Postby albfneto » Sat Jul 06, 2013 0:19

not working? I have in mind that you can compile the free driver manually, but i also see in the Net, that in fact, GNOME3 not working good with the proprietary drivers, is a know problem.

but also, i see something that even with the free drivers, GNOME3 remains problematic with ATI boards. I'm not certain, since i dont use GNOME3.

In one of my comps, i have an ATI, but the graph. env, is KDE, XFCE and MATE. i'm using the propritary drivers, with goodresults, including compiz and 3d acceleration.

you may install another graphical env for tests (XFCE, MATE), without removing GNOME3(this is possible in Sabayon, multiple graphical env) or try to open one session in fluxbox (is also present in the menu of the login screen).

If no more freeze, the problem is compatibility between the driver and the GNOME3.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby The Catboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 0:26

Well normally I wouldn't use GNOME 3 myself and normally I am running MATE or LXDE, but I promised a friend of mine that I would give it an honest test instead of just giving it 5 minutes and giving up like I normally do, but I found the lack of transparency a bit unappealing to me, I like everything to be working in proper order in order to give something a far shake. This also seems to effect Cinnamon as well when I try to switch between the windows, so I am guessing this most be a common problem.
I also wanted to test out the open-source drivers as well to see how they compared to the proprietary since I've never used them before. I am trying to give Sabayon it's fair share of work, I used to be a Fedora user, but recent updates have really driven me away from it, so I am testing the water with different Linux distros trying to find one that sticks like Fedora used to.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Return to Hardware