An update seriously messed up my laptop

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

An update seriously messed up my laptop

Postby The Catboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 20:45

I am not sure what happened. I updated to the latest kernel and everything was running just fine for a short period of time.
Then recently I tried running my laptop and my ATI drivers weren't running (they were the latest) I tried uninstalling them and re-installing them several time, then tried the open-sourced version and nothing worked. My laptop either loaded as if they weren't there of just froze upon booting up.
Then after messing around with them, my touchpad stopped working and my wireless wouldn't work either. I seriously have no idea what's up with this, but it's starting to get annoying. I have tried everything to get this all to work and I am about to just re-install my OS again to see if that will fixes it.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Re: An update seriously messed up my laptop

Postby The Catboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 21:09

I gave up and reinstalled everything. I am pretty sure I screwed something up to much to the point where this was the only option to fix it.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Postby joost » Thu Jun 13, 2013 22:42

Just an idea, but perhaps next time ask for help on the IRC channel before thinking about reinstall?

:D

I can imagine the frustration though.

My laptop either loaded as if they weren't there of just froze upon booting up.

Yes it requires KMS to be configured properly. If you was using fglrx drivers, KMS is disabled, because otherwise ati/amd proprietary do not work.

Back on the main issue. Perhaps the opengl implementation setting was not set well after the update.
When you use the fglrx drivers (or ati-drivers/proprietary drivers) you must select the proper opengl implementation for your system.

example how to check (as root):
Code: Select all
xbox-360 joost # eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   ati *
  [2]   xorg-x11
  [3]   nvidia

In my case it is set correct. If you use the fglrx driver it should be set like this. If it is set to anything else (for whatever reason) you need to set it to ati doing this command:
Code: Select all
xbox-360 joost # eselect opengl set ati
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby The Catboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08

I had done everything to make it work, it just wouldn't work.
This laptop has given me trouble in the past with every Linux Distro and I have to tiptoe around it or it will ragequit on me and not allow anything to work.
I had it up and running perfectly, then today it felt like shitting the bed.

Thanks, I was unaware that there was an IRC for this site, I shall check that out next time something happens. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case and I can just visit it for the sake of visiting it.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Return to Hardware