oddball fix ATI drivers update

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

oddball fix ATI drivers update

Postby anomaly65 » Sun May 26, 2013 22:03

Hi all,

I hope this might help those with remaining issues with installation of the ati-drivers package on HD5000 or newer ATI graphics hardware.

This may be specific only to my setup. I have two IPS monitors without scalar hardware. In short, each IPS monitor has a fixed resolution of 2560x1600, and only a DVI-D dual link input. Most LCDs have a scalar chip which will allow change of resolution (and actually does slow down response in games even when no up/down conversion is performed).

Installation of Sabayon 13.04 with the fixes I list in my post https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28808 almost works. Almost. I get the blinking cursor without X running even with those fixes in place.

removal of
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 vga=791 gfxpayload=1024x768x16
from /boot/grub/grub.cfg seems to remove the final block of loading the ATI drivers, as the removal prevents vesafb from getting loaded in place of fglrx / ati-drivers. To make this permanent, remove those statements from /etc/default/sabayon-grub and install the kernel (and future updates) normally.

If anyone has a different solution, I'm all ears 8)
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Re: oddball fix ATI drivers update

Postby mkristian » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:12

I have a fresh install of sabayon-13.04-amd64-GNOME and have a Radeon HD 7730M graphic chip. after playing around with http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Get_AMD/ATI_or_Nvidia_Video_Cards_working_in_Sabayon for quite some time. somehow (I was not able to reproduce the steps - it was already too late at night) I was able to get the fglrx working properly and had really nice accelerated graphic.

somehow I do not have those parts in my grup.cfg
Code: Select all
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 vga=791 gfxpayload=1024x768x16

and typical config looks like this for me:
linux   /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.0-sabayon ro single init_opts=single  dokeymap keymap=uk domdadm resume=swap:/dev/mapper/vg_khalesee-lv_swap real_resume=/dev/mapper/vg_khalesee-lv_swap dolvm root=/dev/mapper/vg_khalesee-lv_root docrypt

anyone has anymore ideas how to get the ati-driver working or how to stop any "vesa" driver to interfer ????
mkristian
Baby Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 15:40

I removed the pretty-video boot settings in my grub config. Once removed, it seems not to come back, and xorg-drivers doesn't need to be removed. Along with the "recipe" https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28808 I've seen zero issues since putting these in place. I modified the upstream /etc/default/sabayon-grub to remove the vesa statements which will load and thus block the ati-drivers blob. Zero issues since. Until ati-drivers 13.6_beta or later come out, this seems to be the way to go, and I've reloaded the OS from scratch more than once to validate the process.

here's what the primary sabayon boot section in my grub.cfg looks like, working solidly through all recent upgrades:

linux   /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.0-sabayon ro nomodeset init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon console=tty1 quiet dokeymap keymap=us domdadm resume=swap:UUID=c5c2862a-3364-456c-93cb-74897cf127bb real_resume=UUID=c5c2862a-3364-456c-93cb-74897cf127bb root=UUID=cccc7052-1a80-46c4-848d-4624ed25a37d docrypt

My grub.cfg is different only because I don't use lvm, just bare partitions, which makes (for me) it easy to replace the OS and retain the raid mirror for /home without any issues. Call me old fashioned :-) I like lvm for disk farms and SANs, just don't need the overhead on my simple configuration (SSD for OS, raid mirror for /home and swap).

note: my IPS monitors are fixed resolution at 2560x1600 and do not contain a scalar asic (scales lower resolutions to fill entire screen) but this won't cause malfunction in a regular LCD (tested ok)

This doesn't interfere with my boot process, the splash screen, or the ability to "alt-F2" to view progress or to enter interactive mode either. I'm sure folks like all the pretty stuff during boot (not really... it's just a console with a background) but can't say I note any difference between this and my laptop which has an nvidia card (non-hybrid) in it 8) I still typically boot once per week or two after kernel upgrades, thus my machine runs just fine.

Hope that helps :-)
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby mkristian » Sun Jun 16, 2013 20:55

thanx for the reply. in the end following command did the trick:
systemctl disable x-setup

and now things work smooth.
mkristian
Baby Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 0:19

mkristian,

yes, that's the systemd version of the last command in "the recipe" so no new xorg.conf is created at the next reboot. Good call! I need to clean my (physical) desktop off and try it out soon :-)

Funny, we've come a long way since "startx" at a bare console login. Though I've been butchering xdm for >25 years now 8)

Cheers,
andy
--
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Return to Hardware