Downgrade Xorg and use AMD Catalyst 12.6 legacy ? [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Downgrade/Mask Xorg and use AMD Catalyst 12.6_beta_pre89

Postby ElDuderino » Sat Apr 06, 2013 23:00

Hey andy,

you are being very helpful, thank you! However, what (patched) portage driver are you referring to now? 13.1 or 13.1_pre897? The first seems to be for the "newer" radeons (this info is also contained in the ebuild), so consequently, aticonfig --initial looks for compatible adapters and finds none (since my card is r600). I emerged it, but then unemerged it.

The "pre897" legacy version of 13.1 is supposed to be for r600 etc., but it doesn't seem to be patched for Xorg >1.12, because it wants to downgrade Xorg to 1.12. This one, I didn't emerge, because I don't want to downgrade (yet).

So, presently, there is no working legacy driver (i.e. working with newest X etc.), neither in portage nor entropy?

Cheers,
The Dude
ElDuderino
Growing Hen

Re: Downgrade Xorg and use AMD Catalyst 12.6 legacy [Solved]

Postby ElDuderino » Tue Apr 09, 2013 17:43

Hi,

I just found this viable and easy solution. Just add the "frozen" repo as described here (http://www.danilopianini.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:sabayon-frozen-11-is-online&catid=6:articles&Itemid=23), and mask xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xf86-input-evdev and -synaptics so the version from frozen is used: like >xorg-server-1.12.4 etc. If you forget the input packages, you wont be able to use keyboard/mouse.

Then just do and "equo upgrade". On my system, it downgraded just those packages mentioned, and no other dependencies (very smooth).

Then just emerge the legacy ati-drivers from portage (13.1_pre897) and follow the descriptions from various posts in this forum on how to configure the rest (grub, aticonf --initial, getting the right kernel module to load).

Hope this help anyone!
ElDuderino
Growing Hen

Previous

Return to Hardware