Update this morning killed video

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Update this morning killed video

Postby nfz300zx » Wed Mar 20, 2013 19:07

Hi all,

This morning there was updates for the system so i applied them. one of them was a 3.8 kernel. unfortunately this seams to have broken hdmi output on my Intel card. System boots fine, I get grub but as soon as it starts to book the OS the screen switches off. connecting a VGA lead its all fine. just no hdmi.

Card is a Intel GMA x4500 anyone have any ideas? the grub options all look the same as the 3.7 kernel. and that one works fine. I have tried reinstalling all drivers etc but still no fix.
nfz300zx
Baby Hen

Re: Update this morning killed video

Postby cl00t » Wed Mar 20, 2013 20:55

Hello, you might need to mention which repo(s) you are using as there were no updates today to the weekly repo, the one recommended to use?
Also, how did you install the kernel? I don't think it would have updated from 3.7 - 3.8 without you manually installing it via kernel-switcher or another means.
cl00t
Growing Hen

Postby chasha420 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54

I think I suffered from the same problem Lol...I'm on sabayon weekly...I updated everything on my new laptop (3.8 kernel) and after reboot I see that everything boots fine but it doesn't even bring up the login screen...just a blank screen :shock:

Then I ended up doing another fresh install...and now I've kernel 3.7 and everything setup...too scared to switch to 3.8 :cry:

Edit
The problem was with xorg...I don't exactly remember what the error was but I couldn't get it fixed. Also this is my only laptop at the moment so I didn't have the luxury to get help related to that...and decided to go for a fresh install.

Sorry wasn't able to provide much info related to that.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby nfz300zx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13

Hi, sure the reop used was the default ones. I have not as far as i know changed them. I do know when i installed virtualbox it installed the 3.7 kernel so I can only asumme this caused the new kernel to install.
nfz300zx
Baby Hen

Postby adsicks » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:47

Intel Mobile 4 here on a laptop. Repo: Sabayon-weekly. Kernel *dah dah daaahhhh* 3.8. I had over 200 updates and couldn't watch everyone, but I saw X11, mesa, and other stuff in the video stack, so I am assuming the Intel drivers got updated as well. After grub, resolution was wrong. Logged into KDE and my VGA was enabled, yet no VGA was connected. Should be LVDS only, yet both were showing as the LCD screen on my laptop. Reboot after fixing in KDE settings set everything back wrong. Reverted to kernel 3.7 and problem was fixed. What is interesting is that I switched to 3.8 2 weeks ago with no problems until this weeks video stack update....My guess is a problem in either mesa or more likely the kernel DRM, because as soo as the initram loaded, my resolution was wrong suggesting the new stack is not correctly detecting my VGA and LVDS.
adsicks
Simple Hen

Postby nfz300zx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:36

adsicks wrote:Intel Mobile 4 here on a laptop. Repo: Sabayon-weekly. Kernel *dah dah daaahhhh* 3.8. I had over 200 updates and couldn't watch everyone, but I saw X11, mesa, and other stuff in the video stack, so I am assuming the Intel drivers got updated as well. After grub, resolution was wrong. Logged into KDE and my VGA was enabled, yet no VGA was connected. Should be LVDS only, yet both were showing as the LCD screen on my laptop. Reboot after fixing in KDE settings set everything back wrong. Reverted to kernel 3.7 and problem was fixed. What is interesting is that I switched to 3.8 2 weeks ago with no problems until this weeks video stack update....My guess is a problem in either mesa or more likely the kernel DRM, because as soo as the initram loaded, my resolution was wrong suggesting the new stack is not correctly detecting my VGA and LVDS.

Thats more then I get, I get the grub screen then as soon as you press enter no video via hdmi at all. only VGA. even in KDE.
nfz300zx
Baby Hen

Postby Matte88 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 21:13

nfz300zx wrote:Hi all,

This morning there was updates for the system so i applied them. one of them was a 3.8 kernel. unfortunately this seams to have broken hdmi output on my Intel card. System boots fine, I get grub but as soon as it starts to book the OS the screen switches off. connecting a VGA lead its all fine. just no hdmi.

Card is a Intel GMA x4500 anyone have any ideas? the grub options all look the same as the 3.7 kernel. and that one works fine. I have tried reinstalling all drivers etc but still no fix.
Your is a not a laptop, am I right?
Post here output of
Code: Select all
# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Return to Hardware