Radeon 8000 series card not detected

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Radeon 8000 series card not detected

Postby chasha420 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:46

Hey @anomaly65, thanks a lot bro...for finding all those resources for me. I'll go over them in my spare time...but the current laptop that I have with the radeon card is my only computer at the moment & I don't wish to screw it up by exerimenting etc.

Few days back with the change of "nomodeset" in the boot config file with 3.8 kernel...when I restarted my computer xorg had problems and wasnt able to start..in the end I decided to do a quick re-install -.-"

Anyway the integrated card is doing fine...but if in the future there's a solid fix to get my radeon card working then pls let me know.

chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 16:43

chasha420,

No problem, I "totally" agree/understand the need not to experiment. One suggestion is ok though, next time you reboot, take a look in the BIOS/UEFI and see if there's an option to disable the integrated video. Worth a look.

As a safety catch, I always suggest (this should be considered old school admin good habits, but no one ever says "always do it!") is to make a copy of critical files when adjusting things.

e.g. I keep an extra up to date copy of /etc before updates, pretty simple, or at the file level (cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.20130323) like so:

Code: Select all
mkdir /home/etcbackup; cd /etc; tar cf - . |(cd /home/etcbackup; tar xpf -)

subsequent updates to keep it simple:

Code: Select all
rsync -av /etc/ /home/etcbackup/

Saved my tail more than a few times in 25 odd years of playing with *nix OS's. 8)

Always welcome to dig through my own ATI drivers post, Seems to be the simplest, yet 99% effective solution for those.
[url]
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28808 [/url]

Best wishes as always :D
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Postby chasha420 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:23

@anomaly65: does the thread of urs in the post above apply to my card? I have this temptation 2 give it a try :P
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:39

It's primarily for "ATI cards" and some of the recent hassles. (nvidia goes through the same issues every once in a while too..like all people were "blue" in adobe flash... no one owns the patent on PITA when it comes to software drivers, even on MS windows or any other OS :D )

IFF (if and only if) you could disable your intel GPU (in BIOS) and were ok with that, then the above would work like a charm. It would definitely help with that half the puzzle. Worst case, with the switcher scripting described in earlier posts over at the gentoo forums, you'd be able to say "oh, I want to play 3d game" do the switch script, then log out, log back in and be using the ATI card for GPU 3d fun. Yes, even your desktop 3d effects would be in prime mode of course :-)

Cheers,
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Postby chasha420 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 18:08

@anomaly65: Hey bro...thank for the inspiration :)

It seems like in BIOS I've looked at it for quite a few times but didn't find the option for GPU related stuff..may be I should look more closely...any ideas what options it might look like...there's cpu hyper threading n stuff but just the stats mainly and bootin order....so I guess your option doesn't apply to me :[

But it's not a big deal...I brought the laptop not mainly for the card...the intel card is doing way better than I expected...can play games like urbanterror etc. with no degrade in performance / graphics & at the moment I dont have much requirement for hardcore gaming cos gaming is always a distraction hahaha XD...Linux is one more reason to stay away from that :P

But I do miss games every once in a while but I think since big companies like Steam, etc. are working towards linux and compatibility...I'm pretty sure it won't be long before there's a solution for my problem :)

Cheers!
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:13

Hey chasha420,
yeah, lotta folks seem to be working on the problem. The ATI driver does have almost enough to do it (similar to nvidia optimus/bumblebee) and I think next release or two might solve it. Wish I had easier news :(

With the manual switch, (not fun) you could get the full 3d acceleration from the driver for the intense games, but that's a tough fix for sure.

cheers,
andy
--
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Postby chasha420 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:21

Sorry to dig up my "precious" post.

Months come and they go...yet I hear no news of my darling radeon driver :[

If u have something to comfort me...go ahead pls Lol...seems like I made the wrong investment going for this ATI card...should've picked that intel HD4000 one...I think performance of that was similar to radeon card right? It cost me nearly 100$ extra to go for this laptop with this useless card which I haven't been able to even use as of yet :(
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby lxnay » Wed Jun 05, 2013 14:41

Why do people insist on buying AMD cards I wonder... NVIDIA has wonderful proprietary drivers and Intel has wonderful OSS drivers... Why??
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby anomaly65 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 17:48

@lxnay: Well.... having spent >10+ years with nvidia cards and linux, it has been a bit up and down at times, and a LOT of burned buying experiences when they pushed out overly hot chips and rough drivers (but the blue people foulup did it for me for good, as there was no excuse for that at all). ATI has almost always been 6-12 months behind at least on *nix drivers. Intel itself barely has any graphics that match my old nvidia in my 5 year old laptop but definitely good drivers :-)

My personal reason for my first ATI was ultra low power/noise as GCN was released on a mature 28nm node 6 months sooner than nvidia. With my cookbook in hand, I'm driving a pair of 7850's and 2 IPS displays without any complaints and running two cards in crossfire mode. Reinstalled several times without issue (reinstalls due to common and ugly SSD failure mode on power loss when my 15 year old "real" ups needed new batteries and the local construction crew kept tapping on the grid.....).

As with any vendor, YMMV :-)

@chasha420 -- you might want to take a look at

https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29981 for a plausible solution on the ATI/Intel hybrid.
--
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Postby chasha420 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 20:31

lxnay wrote:Why do people insist on buying AMD cards I wonder... NVIDIA has wonderful proprietary drivers and Intel has wonderful OSS drivers... Why??

Hmm...well a few years back people were telling me to go for Radeon cos Nvidia is not all that reliable and also one more thing radeon cards are good at is doing fast computations compared to nvidia..especially if you're using ur card to crack hashes n stuff. Don't think that I bought this card for that Lol...but that's the general idea I had...I thought that if I picked a radeon card atleast it'll work since they have open source driver...compared to nvidia's closed source cards and I'm not sure if they can be trusted to be supported on linux.

@anomaly: So does that kung fu technique also work for my card? I only have one system at the moment but may be I could do a quick, persistence install on my 16GB USB to find out...let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot.
chasha420
Technological Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware