SL 11 Live: 'Cannot execute /sbin/agetty' - no boot![Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

SL 11 Live: 'Cannot execute /sbin/agetty' - no boot![Solved]

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:54

Hallo guys
After installing SL Daily Build from 10/03/2013 on my main system (Core i5 with 8GByte Ram and ssd) and working fine so far, I wanted to install SL 11 on my Samsung N150 netbook with 64bit Intel atom and 2 GByte Ram.
That was possible in the past to boot Live SL and then to install. But today, after boot from Live-SL-USB stick, I had to press <Space> to jump the graphic hurdle (1024x 600), but ok, and then I was waiting to receive the GUI.
But what I got, were error messages, beginning with:
"Cannot execute /sbin/agetty"
several times and then:
"Respawning too fast"...

In the end after this message, SL Boot hangs (freezes).
What has been changing? As I said, I am sure, in the past, I could boot and install SL-Live on this same, my netbook.
Is it no more possible to install a new SL on an older Netbook, which is obviously not prepared for (U)efi or Grub2 topic? Is there anyone here with similar experience?
Thank you for any help.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Last edited by linuxfluesterer on Mon Apr 01, 2013 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: SL 11 Live: 'Cannot execute /sbin/agetty' - no boot!

Postby wolfden » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:57

yea, the dailys seem broke from last week, new dailys should be built tonight, so try again tomorrow

Edit - issue still present
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lxnay » Mon Mar 18, 2013 14:40

Provide more info about the image you're booting, the exact ISO file name, architecture, version, checksum.
And post some logs :evil: !.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:10

Ok, I will give you the informations, I know about:
First, I have used the 'Daily Build of SL KDE version with date 10/03/2013.
This one, I have copied with dd onto my USB stick and with it I've installed SL on my main laptop, a Core i5.
After finishing and do some detail works on KDE appeaqrance on this Core i5,
I used THE SAME USB stick to install that SL version on my Netbook, a Samsung N150, about 2 and a half years old now.
In earlier times (march 2012), I could install SL, I am sure of that, because I still have an older SL partition available on this Netbook.
But now, the following happens: After choosing language:
I receive this:
then followed by:
then this:
and finally this (repeating):
Pls, consider the photos are made by hand, not really clear, and with double information...
The second half of screen provides new information then.. Anyway, hope, these printouts may help you to understand, lxnay.
And pls, lxnay, don't be upset... I haven't changed my Netbook, it was run with SL before....

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Mar 18, 2013 23:14

Can you give me the E_X_A_C_T ISO file name please?
At first sight, it looks like a simple I/O error (faulty USB drive?), but it might hide a kernel bug.
For this reason you should try to, in order:
1. boot in "Console mode (no splash)" in order to exclude any splash related issue
2. boot in "Console mode" and press I (uppercase i) during boot (OpenRC says "Press I to enter interactive boot mode"), and start services one by one, as soon as you get the first error, exit to a console and type "dmesg", you should be able to read some kind of errors.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby wolfden » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:14

There seems to be a bug in the kernel that is causing the problem. Fabio has bumped the kernel so in the next builds, hopefully all is well. For now, simply burn the iso to a DVD and boot it.

https://git.sabayon.org/overlays/sabayo ... id=ac8aa2a

:D
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 15:07

Hallo Wolfden...
do yo mean to create a DVD Rom anyway and boot with it instead of creating a USB stick?
Because I downloaded latest Sabayon_Linux_11_amd64_K.iso from last night with date 14/03/ and put it with dd onto a USB stick.
My Netbook is without dvd rom drive, so first I need to get (to borrough) an external dvd drive to boot from.
But with boot from USB stick nothing changed, still the same messages.
@lxnay... I can't stop the procedure with upper 'i' and type in any command (like dmesg).

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11

The next build run should work with USB, so if you can just wait a few days, grab the next build. Current isos work if you burn em to dvd.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 17:05

Hallo guys, especially Wolfden and Fabio.
Today I have downloaded latest KDE 64bit Daily Build from SL KDE (31/03/2013).
Then I have created my USB stick as usual with dd and tried to boot my netbook same you suggested me to wait for.
And I could boot with no errors, then I've installed on a new partition and reboot from harddisk is also working fine.
Thank you for your support. Now I have on both my systems, notebook and netbook SL KDE 64bit system latest version, with standard Sabayon repo with latest updates from today. I will mark this thread as Solved now.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Hardware