Webcam too dark.

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Webcam too dark.

Postby yebaital » Fri Mar 08, 2013 14:19

So I recently installed sabayon and I'm completely new to it, and pretty new to linux I should say. A problem I've been having is that my camera is too dark. It's a microsoft lifecam studio webcam. Messing with the settings (contrast, hue, brightness etc) doesn't seem to help at all (tried in camorama). Not exactly sure what to do here. I'd reinstall the drivers if I could figure out how to do it in sabayon. (been using ubuntu). Any help or suggestions would be great, here is what it looks like: http://imgur.com/cz8wZom

Thanks in advance.
yebaital
Baby Hen

Re: Webcam too dark.

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 23:09

Note sure if it will help with your model of webcam, but install guvcview and try tweaking the settings using that.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby yebaital » Sat Mar 09, 2013 22:16

That doesn't help just like comorama :/
yebaital
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:30

Then install the package xawtv and try using the v4ctl command in a Terminal/Konsole window to tweak the brightness. See Comment #10 and Comment #11 for tips on the syntax (also try v4ctl --help and v4l2ucp --help and man v4ctl and man v4l2ucp which might give you some help). I can't install it right now and try it in order to confirm the exact commands, as I'm behind a company proxy in an office at the moment.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 20:16

OK, back in the hotel now and so I was able to install xawtv, only to find that in Gentoo/SL the v4l2 utilities have been split off into a separate package v4l-utils, so you need to install that package. One of the utilities is v4l2-ctrl, and you'll need to use the following command (not as root user) to list all the possible command options:

Code: Select all
v4l2-ctl --help

and the following command to see details of the parameters to which you have access and their ranges that you can tune for your webcam:

v4l2-ctl --all

For example, the above command on the laptop on which I'm typing this produces:

$ v4l2-ctl --all
Driver Info (not using libv4l2):
        Driver name   : uvcvideo
        Card type     : USB 2.0 Camera
        Bus info      : usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.3
        Driver version: 3.6.1
        Capabilities  : 0x04000001
                Video Capture
                Streaming
Video input : 0 (Camera 1: ok)
Format Video Capture:
        Width/Height  : 640/480
        Pixel Format  : 'YUYV'
        Field         : None
        Bytes per Line: 1280
        Size Image    : 614400
        Colorspace    : SRGB
Crop Capability Video Capture:
        Bounds      : Left 0, Top 0, Width 640, Height 480
        Default     : Left 0, Top 0, Width 640, Height 480
        Pixel Aspect: 1/1
Streaming Parameters Video Capture:
        Capabilities     : timeperframe
        Frames per second: 25.000 (25/1)
        Read buffers     : 0
                     brightness (int)    : min=-64 max=64 step=1 default=0 value=0
                       contrast (int)    : min=0 max=64 step=1 default=32 value=32
                     saturation (int)    : min=0 max=128 step=1 default=64 value=64
                            hue (int)    : min=-40 max=40 step=1 default=0 value=0
 white_balance_temperature_auto (bool)   : default=1 value=1
                          gamma (int)    : min=72 max=500 step=1 default=100 value=100
                           gain (int)    : min=0 max=100 step=1 default=0 value=0
           power_line_frequency (menu)   : min=0 max=2 default=2 value=2
      white_balance_temperature (int)    : min=2800 max=6500 step=1 default=6500 value=6500 flags=inactive
                      sharpness (int)    : min=0 max=7 step=1 default=1 value=1
         backlight_compensation (int)    : min=0 max=2 step=1 default=0 value=0

so I could enter the following command to whack the brightness to maximum on my laptop (your brightness range could be different to mine, so do not just copy the command below; look at the output of the v4l2-ctl --all command on your machine):

v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl brightness=64

The following command lists just the parameters, so is a quick way of checking what you have just changed:

v4l2-ctl --list-ctrls
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware