Dell Inspiron 5520 and Sabayon compatibility

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Dell Inspiron 5520 and Sabayon compatibility

Postby kiri » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:56

Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience running/using Sabayon Linux on a Dell
Inspiron 5520 machine?

I'm going to buy one soon, but unfortunately I don't have the possibility
to try it with a live cd/dvd. I've found no specific HW details for this
model, as there are several Dell Inspiron 5520 models outside. I managed to
find some information on this link:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/har ... 201-10377/

Possible components in this model are here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/har ... omponents/

What I'm going to buy has the following specs (slightly different from the
one available in links above):
Core i3 processor
Intel chipset HM77 (C210)
Intel Graphics 3000 HD, Intel HD audio
according to above pages, wifi can be the followings: Atheros, Broadcom,
Intel

Do you have such a machine running at home with Sabayon installed? Is this HW compatible with Sabayon? Is everything working fine in this laptop with Sabayon, or there are little hacks to do to get everything working(e.g. wifi, multimedia keys, etc...)?

I'm looking forward to your early reply. Many thanks for your help!
Actually I want to get rid of Ubuntu and move to a rolling distro, Sabayon seems to be a good choice.

I'm looking forward to your reply. Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
kiri
kiri
Baby Hen

Re: Dell Inspiron 5520 and Sabayon compatibility

Postby Matte88 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:01

I think will be a little problematic managing the dual GPU, since it's Intel+AMD/ATI.
Let's see if here is someone who knows something more about.
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby kiri » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:57

I've chosen a model which has only 1x integrated Intel GPU, no dual GPU exists.
kiri
Baby Hen

Postby sabayonino » Tue Mar 05, 2013 13:39

kiri wrote:I've chosen a model which has only 1x integrated Intel GPU, no dual GPU exists.

Matteo was confused with the link you provided

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/har ... omponents/
Code: Select all
Video
    Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
    Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Thames XT/GL [Radeon HD 7600M Series]

:mrgreen:

I'm running SL on Fujitsu Series AH512 and everything goes well :roll: (Intel HD3000,256M --> i915 drivers)
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby kiri » Tue Mar 05, 2013 14:24

Yepp, thought so. That is the only usable link I found to have an overview on a possible configuration of this machine (the link I've found above is about a Core i7 model... I guess something similar will be in a Dell 5520 with Core i3...)

What my reading shows (had some look around in some forums), there should not be any problems with the wireless with Sabayon (doesn't matter if it is Intel, Atheros or Broadcom - currently I have a Broadcom 4312 lp-phy wireless, working fine, I have tried an intel based wifi in another laptop with live dvd, worked fine... atheros should be working with madwifi...)
Unfortunately I don't have any information about multimedia/function keys of a laptop with SL, if they are working out-of-the-box or the Dell Inspiron 5520 istelf.

I would like to get some information on possible problems I may face when using SL with this model.

Thanks a lot for the information provided!
kiri
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 0:05

If I may recommend to buy a laptop/notebook, which is more linux-friendly (I mean hardware), I would not buy a Dell or HP (Compaq) brand. The hardware, I have experienced is sometimes not good supported and according to UEFI stuff, the BIOS handling is more restricted.
Exactly I would recommend you an Acer or it's daughter company, Packard Bell.
I have an Acer V3-571G. It is fully supported since I use Kernel 3.8.
I also would not recommend a Core i3, a Core i5 is okay... :)
My Acer is a Core i5 with 8GByte Ram, NVidia GT630M, build in WLan and build in Bluetooth.
There is one USB3 also, two USB2.
To be honest, I deactivated UEFI boot to be able to install Sabayon on a new 2.5inch disk, which I put in this laptop instead...
Everything is working ... including Bluetooth, WLan, USB3. Also Suspend to Ram, Suspend to Disk is working...
There was a little bit to configure Acer function keys ...
If you want, I can help you then.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Matte88 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 0:17

Funny! Dell is one of the most linux-freindly vendor.
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 0:36

It was ... they had their own edititon with pre installed linux, but they've stopped to deliver (provide).
At any rate, there is the problematics with the new UEFI handling (switch off in proprietary BIOS like Dell it uses).
I'd only be careful, since I made no good experience with a friend 's (older) notebook.
Btw. I'm careful with Sony Vaio also.
Acer, Asus, (older) Samsung maybe, IBM Thinkpad, but no more Lenovo.. that's what I remember at this moment.

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby kiri » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11

linuxfluesterer: Thanks a lot for the info and recommandation. Yepp, you are right, Dell got closer to windows and microsoft recently. I've chosen a model which has no windows preinstalled, this is a linux model (either preinstalled or attached on CD/DVD). I need no OS on the laptop, I will install what I need...
Tried SL on a lenovo thinkpad T420, everything seemed to be working smoothly from Live DVD.
I've chosen a Dell Inspiron 5520 model with Core i3 for home usage, I don't need 4-cores to watch films, browse the internet, listen to music, creating documents (sometimes I'm playing with virtual machines in Virtualbox...). I just would like to exchange my current Dell Inspiron 1525 (Core 2 Duo T8100, 2GB RAM... max installable RAM in this machine is 4GB...which is really Linux friendly!!) to a newer model with the possibility to expand RAM up to 8GB-16GB in case I need more. I guess, as this Dell Inspiron 5520 is not the latest model, there is no uefi in it, but I'll ask it. I have the possibility to buy a Dell Inspiron 5520 really cheap (helped a friend recently, gave me unrefusable discount, without the discount I cannot afford to exchange my current laptop...) That's why I'm asking all those questions...

Many thanks to all for your help!
kiri
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45

Welcome to the club then, Kiri, and I really wish, you will have much success.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Hardware