[SOLVED] How to check if I have drivers for an HD monitor?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

[SOLVED] How to check if I have drivers for an HD monitor?

Postby Richlion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 16:47

Hello,

I would like to ask, if I wish to buy an HD monitor for example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-273E3LH ... 995&sr=1-2
How can I check if it's compatible with my laptop? Any drivers I need? I would like to use it via an HDMI cable. I have an NVidia graphics card in my laptop (Acer Aspire 17") and I use an Acer LCD monitor via the VGA cable. Also have the NVidia control panel installed.

Can I have some hints?

Thanks
Richard
Last edited by Richlion on Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: How to check if I have drivers for an HD monitor?

Postby aia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 17:17

Hello Richlion,

nice monitor.I think that you are a bit confused.The compatible has relation with your graphic card (NVIDIA or ATI) and not with the monitor.
If you have in your system NVIDIA graphic card and the drivers plays correct,then any monitor that you will decide to use it you will not have problem.
aia
Young Hen

Postby Richlion » Tue Jan 29, 2013 13:04

aia wrote:Hello Richlion,

nice monitor.I think that you are a bit confused.The compatible has relation with your graphic card (NVIDIA or ATI) and not with the monitor.
If you have in your system NVIDIA graphic card and the drivers plays correct,then any monitor that you will decide to use it you will not have problem.

Hi,
so do you mean I have to check my Nvidia graphics card, whether it will work with a specific monitor?
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby aia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 16:52

Hi, i mean that you must find the correct driver for the correct graphic card and not for the monitor.
There is not compatibility between monitor and (graphic card or drivers).
But there is compatibility between graphic card and the drivers.
graphic card == drivers
monitor != graphic card & drivers

But in your case you just have to change the crt monitor with the new screen.Nothing more.If before played correct then it will play also with the new screen.Maybe it needs to change only the resolution.

I guess that you want to plugin the new screen in to laptop for have bigger monitor?
aia
Young Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:02

Sorry, but you don't say, which GUI you use.
Anyway, there should be a 'Display Settings' in System Settings.
There is an NVidia XServer Settings packet also, which you can download and launch.
Then you can customize it using your HDMI monitor.
In my case, (I have KDE 4.9.5) first I needed the 'GPU detection' package from Rigo to detect my graphics adapter for xorg.conf.
Then I have installed the matching NVidia drivers for my GT630M (your's may be different).
Anyway, in KDE Settings, I have an Icon 'Display Settings' and in that I can configure my output. I don't need NVidia settings.
In this KDE Display Settings, most important is, when the look is ok on your HDMI, then:
Save these settings as Standard! -> Written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Only then, you will have the same configuration, when you boot again.

Hope to help.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Richlion » Tue Jan 29, 2013 21:27

Hello,

thank you for all the explanations. I almost understand.
I also have the Nvidia X Server Settings which I use for my current LCD monitor connected via the VGA cable.

So how do I check my drivers? Should I use "equo", Portage or can I find them in Rigo? What are the commands?

When I check Rigo it shows different versions of Nvidia drivers, for example:
Code: Select all
Nvidia Drivers 304.64#3.7.0-sabayon~0
NVIDIA GPUs kernel drivers
December 22, 2012, z sabayon-weekly

What do those codes mean?

I found a web page showing various versions:
http://gentoo-portage.com/x11-drivers/n ... /ChangeLog
should I install just the most recent, for example this? Are they generic drivers for various monitors?

nvidia-drivers-313.18
-* ~amd64 ~x86 ~amd64-fbsd ~x86-fbsd
acpi multilib kernel_FreeBSD kernel_linux pax_kernel +tools +X kernel_linux

This seems to be my graphics card in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 9300M GS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 9300M GS"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          1
EndSection

lspci shows this:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M GS] (rev a1)
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 22:30

Hi Richlion,

According to the philips website, that monitor does have a VGA input. Thus the "oldschool" VGA cable would work.

Separately, nvidia-settings (the nvidia control panel) takes a few mouse clicks to extend or clone your desktop to that monitor, although it's not terribly intuitive (I have an HP laptop with similar nvidia graphics card). Once connected, nvidia-settings will show the second monitor, which you then activate and click apply.

The display function key on the laptop may do that for you as well. (most often after connecting the monitor and pressing a func-F5/F6/etc key combination, look for the monitor symbol on the top row of keys)

*IF* your laptop (many do; especially the 17" laptops which have more room for ports, and are often not inexpensive either....) has an HDMI output, you may use an HDMI cable to get a better video quality on the display.

So, as mentioned:
1- yes, vga cable should work, your nvidia card and driver software do support this, via nvidia-settings(control panel) or function key, or via the display settings in the desktop environment you run
2- yes, hdmi cable *if* you have an HDMI output on the laptop. Same conditions apply, simply a different physical/electrical connection. the nvidia 9300M should have that, if Acer did put an HDMI port on the laptop :)

The key word or setting for nvidia if you wish to use both (side by side, as I do) is "twinview" which is nvidia's implementation for a single desktop to span multiple monitors. It works quite well, and the resolution of the external monitor will be automatically detected "usually" (I've not seen that fail in many many years).

This may be of help.
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Dual_Monitors/Nvidia

Good luck and hope it works well for you! :D
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby Richlion » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:44

Hello,
connecting another screen is not my problem here. I already have a VGA monitor connected and the Nvidia-settings program works nicely and isn't the mystery.

What I am asking is which Gentoo package should I install with the Nvidia drivers?
When I check Rigo it shows different versions of Nvidia drivers, for example:
Nvidia Drivers 304.64#3.7.0-sabayon~0
NVIDIA GPUs kernel drivers
December 22, 2012, z sabayon-weekly

Is it one package with all the necessary drivers for many monitors?

My 17" Acer Aspire laptop has an HDMI socket, but when I connected an HD TV the picture was flashing, green and it clearly indicated I don't have the correct drivers.

I dont' want to buy a 27" HD monitor to discover it is not supported by the drivers.

Thanks
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 22:09

Richlion,

Yes, for that video "card" the nvidia-drivers (which match your kernel version) will work nicely. My laptop (similar card) connects via hdmi port or VGA to any capable monitor. Capable meaning it hands back resolution info to the system (or you could set manually!). I don't see any troubles with any modern LCD's and nvidia-drivers.

There are older versions of nvidia drivers for <7000 series nvidia cards, and of course, several copies of each, one matching each of the recent kernels you may have installed. If you're running the 3.7 kernel, your choice looks proper.

Good luck!
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby Richlion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53

Hi Andy,

thanks for that, so actually it's more a "linux kernel" vs. "nvidia drivers" relation?
Sorry for being so lame on this subject :?
Richlion
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Hardware