Installation on SSD

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

elvis
Simple Hen

Re: Installation on SSD

Post by elvis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04

Another option is consider to switch the default disk I/O scheduler. In the recent kernels the default one is the cfq scheduler. In Sabayon the default one should be the bfq scheduler. Both schedulers are optimized for old magnetic HDD in order to reduce seek times. With SSD the seek time is not a problem, so a simpler scheduler FIFO-based is a better solution. The choice is between noop and deadline schedulers and actually I'm using the second one.

Some references:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So ... _Scheduler
http://wiki.debian.org/SSDoptimization# ... -Scheduler
Sabayon Linux LXDE 64 bit @ Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E130

King_DuckZ
Simple Hen

Post by King_DuckZ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:26

I tried the /tmp and /var/tmp mounted as tmpfs, but I was running out of space quite often, so in the end I decided to just leave them on the ssd. Besides, tmpfs is not guaranteed to stay in ram exclusively (you should have a look into ramfs maybe).
My final decision was to put my browser's temporary crap into a tmpfs and leave the rest alone. A script like this in init.d creates the necessary directories:

Code: Select all

#!/sbin/runscript

start() {
        mkdir /var/tmp/operacache_duckz
        chown duckz:duckz /var/tmp/operacache_duckz
        chmod 770 /var/tmp/operacache_duckz

mkdir /var/tmp/operacache_dev00
        chown dev00:dev00 /var/tmp/operacache_dev00
        chmod 770 /var/tmp/operacache_dev00
}

stop() {
        rm -rf /var/tmp/operacache_duckz
        rm -rf /var/tmp/operacache_dev00
}
then I've created the symlinks ~/.opera/cache to the respective tmp subdirectory. A few tips I've found on the internet suggested to use the noatime mount option for the ext4 filesystems.

Edit: after a look at my fstab, I did put /var/tmp on a tmpfs, as well as /var/log:

UUID=527b68f5-f44f-4a9f-adcb-3490c6884209 /                   ext4    defaults,noatime,nodiratime,discard        1 1
UUID=1b6a6202-7955-4f24-a23f-80dd9b3dd1a3 /home               ext4    defaults,noatime,nodiratime,discard        1 2
UUID=796ec96a-4dfd-42ea-9f32-92b7d960e5aa swap                swap    defaults                0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                 tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                 devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                     sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                    proc    defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /var/log                 tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=0755,size=400M 0 0
tmpfs                   /var/tmp                 tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777,size=1G   0 0
tmpfs                   /home/dev00/dev/build    tmpfs   size=768M,rw,mode=770,users,nosuid,nodev,exec,gid=1022 0 0
Likely then my space problems were just with /tmp.

lupinehorror
Baby Hen

Post by lupinehorror » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:01

that's a good solution...thanks. at the moment i only have

defaults,noatime,nodiratime,discard
for the drive itself and

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
for tmpfs. plus moving firefox's cache to RAM.
will investigate some of the other features.
sabayon on my desktop - debian on my servers

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 17:38

Me, I'm not using an ssd now. But I'm thinking about to buy one.
So, another suggestion ....
Is NILFS2 an option rather than btrfs or xfs?
I found an ssd study from Samsung, which URL is here:
http://www.usenix.org/event/lsf/tech/shin_SSD.pdf

I never heard of nilfs before, so anybody knows about it? Problems, difficulties?
Is it on SL 10 Live DVD (KDE) to create an ssd partition with nilfs2...?
My reasons for a file system on ssd are reliability and speed also.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

bobo_bobo
Baby Hen

Post by bobo_bobo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:06

have not bought a replacement from DVD to HDD so I only have one drive in a laptop.

I made the changes that I added in Fstab "realtime, discard" the EXT4 partition

and has just moved / tmp to tmpfs.

The life of the drive is not afraid to have guarantees 5 years so as to fall after 5.5 buy second

So far

~ $ Sudo hdparm-tT / dev/sda1
Password:

/ dev/sda1:
  Timing cached reads: 20180 MB in 2.00 seconds = 10101.32 MB / sec
  Timing buffered disk reads: 500 MB in 1.15 seconds = 436.63 MB / sec

LENOVO ThinkPad W520 4276-39U i7-2820QM 8GB + OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G

Wiedza jest naszą Twierdzą im więcej wiemy tym trudniej jest nas Pokonać!

anomaly65
Technological Hen

Post by anomaly65 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 21:24

Great results 8)

In my laptop, I used the hybrid momentus XT (16G SSD cache on regular HD) and got tired of my "old" dual core core duo2 laptop booting in 1/3 the time my six core desktop. Put a samsung 830SSD (great price) as a boot drive, really sped up the performance of the desktop.

For cost conscious laptop users, a 500/750Gig XT drive is a very good option as well.

Cheers,
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 14:48

My idea is to buy a new laptop (now Core I5 3210) with NVidia GT630, 8 GByte Ram with 2 options:
1. 17 inch screen and 2 hdd build in spaces including 1 magnet hdd (e.g. Packard Bell for about 599,- Euro)
+ an adapter (frame) for ssd
or
2. 15 inch screen and one build-in magnet hdd (also Packard Bell with 750 GByte now for maybe 579,- Euro)
+ an adapter (frame) for ssd.

Then I would like to buy an ssd (I think, a good choice is Intel 330 SSD with 180 GByte (about 120,- Euro or 240 GByte for about 150,- Euro with good speed in Write also!)

In first case then I would change the main hdd to second connector and connect frame adapter on first SATA with SSD.
Then install SL X KDE on SSD. I hope, that Windows from second drive will be recognized and bootet by Grub then.

In second case I would take out the build-in hdd, put in SSD-adapter with SSD and connect it.
Then install SL X KDE on SSD.
The outtaken hdd with Windows (7 or 8 ) I would like to put in external USB3-case and if possible and necessary, I would like to boot that Windows with USB3 WITHOUT new installation. Is this possible? I haven't found any answer for that.

I need Windows rarely, and only for customers, never for me. And when I sell my laptop after 2 years, people pay more money for my used laptop than without any Windows. I am tired to debate with Windows users about Linux, esp. KDE)
If second scenario would work, I'd rather prefer that, because 15 inch is big enough to work and I can easier move it on my trips.
Anyway, I would like to run my SL X completely from SSD. I have an external USB3-hdd with 1 TB for Backup, data, and personal data.

anomaly65
Technological Hen

Post by anomaly65 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:48

For my laptop, it does have dual drive bays and two of the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus- ... 00691WMJG/

which have 16Gigs of "hidden/inline" flash ram with a clever controller that does a fine job for a much lower price.

a good review on the drive is:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mom ... ,3223.html

In boot times, it really does match my SSD desktop, along with a large number of applications. Can't argue with the price either... 8)
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 16:24

Thank you for your suggestion, Anomaly...
If there is an option with a mixed hdd with ssd and magnet drive, I'd like more than 60 GByte SSD for at least 2 different distros. One returning problem I have with Sabayon is, that it sometimes writes long time on disk, maybe reorganizing indexes, I don't know really. I mentioned this in another thread. Anyway, I hope that this won't happen anymore and won't block my keyboard or my processes that way, that I feel like my SL X freezes.
And 180 GByte SSD plus a new hdd plus an external 1 TB drive is much space.
It's Christmas time and as snow is falling, the prices for ssd are falling also.

So, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas :santa:

Hope to hear from you soon, guys.

anomaly65
Technological Hen

Post by anomaly65 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 19:47

You might find the momentus XT a good hybrid for the $$ spent;-)

the algorithm in the firmware does all the caching (it's read-through-cache-the-most-accessed if that makes sense), and that's sufficient to cache the entire core of two OS's (I run win7 out of virtualbox on same drive, and yes, even that is sped up considerably).

I do have two drive bays, but wound up buying two of the hybrids for space, as the speed is quite excellent.

FTA on tomshardware.com:
"Really, the only time Seagate's Momentus XT slowed down drastically compared to an SSD was when we installed the operating system and applications. Once everything was fully loaded, however, performance rapidly improved as the drive's software algorithms pulled the most frequently-access data into flash, bestowing very SSD-like qualities to it. At that point, it was frankly hard to tell the difference during most common tasks.

Of course, the Momentus XT's greatest advantage is its large capacity and low cost per bit compared to the SSDs it so actively strives to behave like, which makes it a very tempting proposition for those who're able to tolerate occasional periods where the drive's performance necessarily dips back to what you'd see from a hard drive."

Good luck, and Merry Christmas,
andy

p.s. yes, KDE and the eye candy of Sabayon "ROCK!" 8)
--