Installation on SSD

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

bobo_bobo
Baby Hen

Installation on SSD

Post by bobo_bobo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 23:23

I have a laptop Lenovo ThinkPad W520 4276-39U i7-2820QM 8GB + OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G

My system works well on the HDD.
I bought a solid state drive "Vertex 4" and I wonder how to install a system to change from HDD to SSD was most felt. I'm going to have to buy a replacement DVD inserted in place of the HDD for data but it may take some time and make a framework wants to have two bone 8GB.

On the internet you can find some information but most of it is quite old and set to extend the life of old SSDs. I do not want to prolong the life of the drive forever to replace breaks for a new
Rather, I want to maximize the speed and security of the system.
Do you have any suggestions?
Maybe some directories moved to RAM?

What do you think about this?
LENOVO ThinkPad W520 4276-39U i7-2820QM 8GB + OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G

Wiedza jest naszą Twierdzą im więcej wiemy tym trudniej jest nas Pokonać!

Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Re: Installation on SSD

Post by Johnny Who » Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:00

you can move /tmp directory to ram, it is wiped after shutdown, and probably /proc. How large is the ssd?

Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Post by Johnny Who » Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:05

i see it is 256gb. It is large enought so that you don` t need to move anything (apart from /tmp, which would be nice, because it generally speeds you up, as it reduces disk operations). I have a 250GB hard drive(not ssd) and it is enough to house sabayon (with many many many... programmes on) and the resource -hoggy Win7!:-P

bobwad
Baby Hen

Post by bobwad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:00

The advantages of SSDs are that they are faster and longer lived than HDDs.

This means that you would benefit most from putting frequently read and written files on your SSD. So you might well consider installing Sabayon to your SSD. It should run (even!) faster than before. As for your HDD, reserve it for those files which are read and written fewer times than system files. That means, of course, your data files in /home.

Alternatively, witha suitably large SSD, why not use your HDD for RAID and backup purposes?

Enjoy!

fabdo
Baby Hen

Post by fabdo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 22:18

hi, i also have now a new ssd (and and old hdd). made a fresh installation (s10/64bit/kde).

/ , swap , boot are on the ssd

/home on the hdd

how can i move my /tmp to the ram???

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11

fabdo wrote:hi, i also have now a new ssd (and and old hdd). made a fresh installation (s10/64bit/kde).

/ , swap , boot are on the ssd

/home on the hdd

how can i move my /tmp to the ram???
This should be entered in /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

tmp                     /tmp                    tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0 0
And I included also:

vartmp                  /var/tmp                tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0 0
With /proc/ moved to Ram it was not possible to boot!
And ... if you have really 8 GByte internal Ram, you won't need a Swap parti at all.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

creh
Young Hen

Post by creh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 16:46

As far as I know /var/tmp shouldn't be on RAM

anomaly65
Technological Hen

Post by anomaly65 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 22:17

Make sure you enable "trim" or other SSD mount options (for your chosen FS) on the SSD in /etc/fstab.

Swap is tough on an SSD. It hastens the "write amplification" (and thus controller's substitution of cells) in the SSD.

Another good idea is to leave "some" (say 10-15%) of the SSD unallocated in your partition scheme. Seems to improve performance (via allowing the SSD controller to re-allocate more easily).

Been running an SSD as the OS drive. some good hints in here:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26323

I found btrfs (and recent major security holes reaffirm this) a massive annoyance on the SSD. Chose your favorite filesystem, I personally like XFS, it had the least amount of base code mods to decently support SSDs. The toolset is darned good.

Still no clue why /boot is a separate partition other than lazy habits of anaconda authors, it was so when floppies were used to boot kernels in 1993 if a bad kernel build didn't work...... :-) I've been doing in-kernel programming for 20+ years, and running linux massive server farms without a boot partition for 10 years and can't find anyone to explain why:-) Humor intended!!

my /etc/fstab entry for SSD looks like:

UUID=485dd59f-9831-4055-9184-18031eb6aa33 /                       xfs     ssd,discard,noatime,nodiratime        0 0
note that "discard" enables TRIM support, and "noatime,nodiratime" eliminate touch/write updates of files being opened, reducing both the number of writes, and increasing speed and longetivity of the SSD.
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:58

creh wrote:As far as I know /var/tmp shouldn't be on RAM
I use it in Ram just now. Boot and system work. So what is the reason, I shouldn't mount to Ram then?
-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

anomaly65
Technological Hen

Post by anomaly65 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:16

/var/tmp often contains less than temporary files, and is where entropy unpacks packages, and other non-critical info is stored. I've tried both a ram mount and leaving it on the SSD, haven't had a need in a long while to look in /var/tmp. I'd call it not very important to retain between system reboots.
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)