Brightness on Asus G75VW (Fn+F5/F6)

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Brightness on Asus G75VW (Fn+F5/F6)

Postby renefks » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:41

Hi guys,

First time here and with sabayon. It works nice, but thre is one little thing. When I try to change the brightness with the Fn f5/f6 keys, nothing happens. the "xbacklight -set" also do not work. The only thing that works is "xrandr", but it is not a hardware control. I've read something about a light sensor in some asus notebooks, but i didn't find this in my model (G75VW). I also tried to create a keyboard shortcut using this combinations (Fn+F5/F6), but nothing happens. It seems that these combinations does not exist in the keyboard map. I've already changed the grub file to, just like the step 6 in this topic

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=26735&p=154419&hilit=brightness#p154419

but nothing happened. First question. Istead of the word "vendor" in

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

Should I add "asus" ??

Second question, if not, how do I solve this.

Thanks in advance
renefks
Baby Hen

Re: Brightness on Asus G75VW (Fn+F5/F6)

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 13:53

Try "legacy" rather than "vendor".

Also, you write that you tried "xbacklight -set", but did you try "xbacklight -inc 40" to increment and "xbacklight -dec 40" to decrement? You could choose any keys you want, it doesn't have to be Fn+F5/F6 specifically.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby renefks » Sun Nov 11, 2012 14:59

Thanks for your repply Fitz,

I've tried the legacy instead of vendor, but nothing. And th xbacklight options, I've tried everything. I think the problem is that xbacklight -get has no output. The output for xrandr is :

Code: Select all
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 382mm x 215mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+   40.0 
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

I was expecting something similar. Thanks, and if you or someone else has more ideas, i have none by now.
renefks
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 18:50

OK, there are a few ASUS-specific kernel modules, so have you got those loaded? You can check as follows:

$ su
Password:
# lsmod | grep -i asus

If not, the ASUS module that might affect the ability to control the backlight is called asus-wmi, specified by the kernel configuration parameter CONFIG_ASUS_WMI which I see is set to "=m" ('module') in the case of the SL kernel. So, if you don't have that module loaded, load it and try again to change the backlight using the function keys:

# modprobe asus-wmi

There is also a kernel configuration parameter CONFIG_ASUS_NB_WMI which I see is also set to "=m" in the case of the SL kernel, so you might need to have that loaded instead of, or as well as, asus-wmi:

# modprobe asus-nb-wmi

And there is yet another kernel module that might affect your backlight: CONFIG_ASUS_LAPTOP, which I see is also set to "=m" in the case of the SL kernel, so you might need that loaded instead of, or as well as either or both of the other modules:

# modprobe asus-laptop

N.B.1 To unload a loaded module, use the command rmmod instead of modprobe. So try loading and unloading combinations of the above-mentioned three ASUS modules to see if that has any effect. If you find a winner, or a winning combination of these modules, loading modules at boot can be automated by specifying the required module(s) in the file /etc/conf.d/modules.

N.B.2 I don't have access to a machine running SL at the moment, so I don't know if the modules use a hyphen or an underscore (e.g. asus-wmi or asus_wmi) so try the other if one doesn't work.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby renefks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:48

Hi Fitz,

Thanks again for your repply. The output for the comand "lsmod | grep -i asus" is

Trigun rene # lsmod | grep -i asus
asus_nb_wmi             1552  0
asus_wmi               11148  1 asus_nb_wmi
sparse_keymap           2329  1 asus_wmi
pci_hotplug             8625  1 asus_wmi
Trigun rene #

So the modules are loaded, and there is no combination where the backlight works.

And I've tried the "modprope asus_laptop" and "asus_acpi" and the outputs were

"FATAL: Module asus_acpi not found."

and

"ERROR: could not insert 'asus_laptop': No such device".

I will google for these errors, but if there is an answer for this, please let me know. Thanks
renefks
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 21:06

Do you have a NVIDIA GPU? If so, are you using the closed-source driver? If you are, perhaps editing your xorg.conf file in accordance with the following intructions might do it: Brightness controls doesn't work on a MacBook Pro 5.5 (ubuntu 12.04 LTS) [closed]
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby renefks » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46

Sorry. I was off-line this since thursday.

I've tried to change the xorg.conf and now it looks like

Section "Device"

#    Identifier  "SabayonVga0"
#    Driver      "nvidia"
    #BusID    "PCI:01:00"
    #Option "RenderAccel" "on"
    #Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
    #Option "BusType" "PCI"
    #Option "ColorTiling" "on"
    #Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
    # UseEvents is causing segmentation faults with
    # NVIDIA 6xxx, 7xxx and >=275.xx.xx drivers
#    #Option "UseEvents" "True"
      Identifier    "NVIDIA GeForce"
      Driver        "nvidia"
      Option        "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
      Option "LogoPath" "/usr/share/backgrounds/sabayonlinux-nvidia.png"
EndSection

But no success.

Just to be shure, i've undone the grub file things and update the kernel to 3.6.0. My nvidiadriver is 304.64, installed
with "equo install nvidia-driver-304.64#3.6.0" and i also installed the nvidiabl-0.79, wich should fix this problem.

Thanks a lot.
renefks
Baby Hen

Postby saintjohnpublic » Fri Nov 23, 2012 16:55

u can turn it up using built in controls like mine are FN + F2/F3 on the keyoard
saintjohnpublic
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware