EPSON Stylus T10 printer - does not print

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

EPSON Stylus T10 printer - does not print

Postby manilaph » Tue May 17, 2011 11:43

Hi,

I have an EPSON Stylus T10 printer and it is recognized by the system as Epson T10 but the driver the system wants to use is for the Epson T20. Anyway, no matter what I try to do, my Epson Stylus T10 will not work.

Please help.

Thank you.
manilaph
Simple Hen

Re: EPSON Stylus T10 printer - does not print

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 17, 2011 19:03

Do you have the package net-print/gutenprint installed? If not, install it and try using the CUPS browser interface ( http://localhost:631/ ) to install the T20 driver, which is compatible with the T10.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby manilaph » Wed May 18, 2011 2:07

Hi Fitzcarraldo,

Thank you for your fast response.

I already tried your solution but it still does not work although my printer created a noise "like it was getting ready to print" and then nothing happened.

At the CUPS website, the print-job was stated as "completed" but it was not actually completed. This is very strange.
manilaph
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri May 20, 2011 0:43

According to a thread from September 2010 in the Linux Mint forums, version 5.2.5 of the Gutenprint driver for the Epson Stylus T20 did not work with the T10, but version 5.2.4 of the Gutenprint driver for the T20 did work with the T10, and the recommendation by a Linux Mint user was to downgrade to version 5.2.4 of Gutenprint.

Now, the current version of Gutenprint in Portage and Entropy is 5.2.6, so I assume you are using that version. Unfortunately, version 5.2.4 is not in the Entropy repository, and neither is there an ebuild for 5.2.4 in the main Portage tree. However, the ebuild is still available in a Gentoo repository, so you could download the ebuild (gutenprint-5.2.4.ebuild) and try to install it using a local overlay. If you want to try it, do the following as root user in a Konsole/Terminal window:

1. Sync with the latest Portage ebuilds in the main tree and in the Sabayon overlay:

Code: Select all
equo install git # In case it is not already installed.
equo install eix # In case it is not already installed.
emerge --sync
layman -a sabayon # Do not worry if a message says it is already added.
layman -S

2. Edit /etc/make.conf and make sure it has the following lines in it at the end of the file:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage/"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

(Delete the line PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/" if already in the file.)

3. Set up the directories for the local overlay:

# mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/net-print/gutenprint/files

4. Stop Portage nagging about a missing name for your local overlay:

# mkdir /usr/local/portage/profiles
# echo "local_overlay" > /usr/local/portage/profiles/repo_name

5. Download the ebuild to the correct directory:

# cd /usr/local/portage/net-print/gutenprint
# wget http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/net-print/gutenprint/gutenprint-5.2.4.ebuild?revision=1.3

6. Copy across the patch files:

# cp /usr/portage/net-print/gutenprint/files/* ./files/

7. Generate the manifest:

# ebuild gutenprint-5.2.4.ebuild manifest

8. Merge (install) the package:

# emerge -1v =gutenprint-5.2.4

9. Tell Entropy what you did via Portage:

# equo rescue spmsync

10. Use the eix utility to check the package details:

eix-update
eix gutenprint

I have not tried to install it myself, so do not know if it will install. If it does install, reboot then try again with the CUPS Web interface to install the driver for the T20, as it is supposed to be compatible with the T10. If it does work, you might want to mask gutenprint in Entropy and Portage to stop it being upgraded.

Good luck.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby manilaph » Fri May 20, 2011 2:00

Wow. Thank you once again for the prompt and very thorough reply. This is what makes Sabayon special to me. And yes you are correct about the package because I remember that my T10 was working with a previous Sabayon installation on another computer.

Your attention to detail and your time to answer queries are much appreciated.

I will update on what happens.

By the way, I have been using Entropy (equo update and equo upgrade) since the beginning of my Sabayon 5.5 Gnome installation. Can I switch at this point to purely use Portage (emerge)? Or would my system get broken?

Thanks again!

If this does not work, I am going to buy a compatible printer. My Epson T10 is considered old-tech already anyway.
manilaph
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat May 21, 2011 16:52

manilaph wrote:Can I switch at this point to purely use Portage (emerge)? Or would my system get broken?

You can try to install gutenprint-5.2.4 using Portage, then, if your printer works, mask the package in Entropy and Portage to stop it being upgraded. From then onwards, carry on using Entropy as usual. If the older version of the driver does not work, or does not install, obviously don't bother masking the package and just carry on using Entropy as usual.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware