How to enable HDMI support on SL?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

How to enable HDMI support on SL?

Postby Richlion » Sat Apr 23, 2011 14:27

Hello,

I have an ATI HD graphics card "Radeon HD 4800 Series" with and HDMI output, so I connected it to my HD TV to use as a monitor. The VGA works with my TV, but with the HDMI cable the screen is all green and very distorted. There used to be an ATI sceen program, does it still exist and will it help me setup my SL KDE to be fully HD? Does SL and KDE support that kind of a configuration?

Thanks for helping.
Richard
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: How to enable HDMI support on SL?

Postby joost » Sat Apr 23, 2011 14:57

I think you meant media-video/amdcccle ?
joost
Sagely Hen

Re: How to enable HDMI support on SL?

Postby Richlion » Sat Apr 23, 2011 18:52

joost wrote:I think you meant media-video/amdcccle ?

Thanks, yes, it was AMD Catalyst, but I couldn't find the name of the package here in SL/Gentoo. Sometimes developers hide obvious things behind some odd names :shock:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... enter.aspx

Ok, so I swapped my cable I borrowed to the DVI->HDMI converter and used my new 1.4 HDMI cable. Catalyst seems to have some various settings. The display manager shows:
Display name : SHARP HDMI
Graphics Adapter : ATI HD 4800 series
Max. resolution : 1920x1200
Max. refresh rate: 75Hz
Connedtion : HDMI

Now I no longer have a distorted image, but the fonts are very crappy, I tried some of the settings in the Pixel Format , 4 settings but none of them let me improve the fonts.

I downloaded a PDF document that shows my sockets. I have 2 DVI Dual Link connections and one TV/HDTV out connection. Should I use the TV/HDTV with the 7-pin?
Richlion
Technological Hen

Return to Hardware