screen tearing in gnome but not xbmc

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

screen tearing in gnome but not xbmc

Postby gav989 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 22:54

hi all

currently suffering screen tearing when i watch a video file using vlc (or other) in gnome:

i've set everything i can find (monitors, nvidia settings, compiz) to 60hz refresh rate but still no success

weirdly when i log out and change my session to xbmc it all works fine with no screen tearing, but in gnome (my de of choice) the screen tearing persists, even if i run xbmc from within gnome

using an nvidia geforce gtx 460

not sure if this is the right place to post, but refresh rate seems to be a hardware type problem and i like sabayon forums

does anyone know what else i need to change the refresh rate in to stop the screen tearing? or is there another way to fix this?
Simple Hen

Re: screen tearing in gnome but not xbmc

Postby chasha420 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32

I have faced similar issue even though my graphics card is an Ati-Radeon HD5450. What I did to solve this was tinker with the graphic card settings from Catalyst Control Center.

As you can see in the image above, when I enabled Tear Free Desktop was smooth! No more tearing, therefore I think u have to tweak your graphic card settings.
Technological Hen

Return to Hardware