Logitech Performance Mouse MX on SL works out of the box

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Logitech Performance Mouse MX on SL works out of the box

Postby ReemZ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 17:33

I just got the Logitech Performance Mouse MX, the one with that tiny little usb receiver (Unifying Receiver) and where Logitech couldn't tell me in advance if it would even work in Linux but did tell me I'd need Setpoint and that that was most likely only going to run in winblows or MacOS, I simply plugged it in and it just works :)
I still had the mouse buttons remapped from when I was using my MX1000 (switched middle mouse and thumb button), and that too still works like a charm. So who needs Setpoint, hmm? :mrgreen:
Just thought I'd share that, should anyone consider buying this mouse.

Hurray Linux, up yours redmond :mrgreen:
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Re: Logitech Performance Mouse MX on SL works out of the box

Postby ReemZ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 19:05

OK, who changed the title? :mrgreen:
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby NoSavy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 22:14

Well reemZ, tell us if it's worth the high price.?

I have very large hands and have been tempted to invest in one as they are a nice fit.

NS.
Last edited by NoSavy on Thu Mar 24, 2011 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU, 4 GB ram.
Gigabyte NVIDIA 9800GT Silent graphics card, Dell FP2007 22 Digital Flat panel.
Samsung harddisks 2 x 200gb SP2004S,1 x Hitachi 750gb HDT 72107,Optiarc SATA DVD-RW. Sabayon 64 & 32bit.
NoSavy
Simple Hen

Postby ReemZ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 22:42

So far I have to say I really like it, but I've only bought it today.
It handles lovely though, think I might just like this one ;)

After using it for a few days I'll have a better idea and I'll get back here :)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby ReemZ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08

Oops, almost a month since I bought the mouse and haven't gotten back to you yet, sorry NoSavy :mrgreen:
I use my mice a lot, as I spend a lot of time online. I've not used it in games yet so can't really say anything about it, but I cán tell you how much power it saves compared to my "old" MX1000 mice: in a month's time I've had to recharge it twice.
I've always loved my MX1000's, but even those fade in the shadow of the Performance MX, which really lives up to its name. Logitech claim that Darkfield will allow you to use the mouse even on glass tables of 4mm (less than 0.16") thick. Now I've not got a glass table, but I've tried using the window for a mouse mat just to test this, on a sunny day, and it just worked, that mouse just won't notice the difference between a sunlit window and a proper mouse mat, or a table with no mouse mat at all :D
Yes, it's an expensive mouse, but if you use your computer a lot and have some money to spend, or wanna buy yourself a really nice gift, I'd suggest this mouse.
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:47

ReemZ wrote:Now I've not got a glass table, but I've tried using the window for a mouse mat just to test this, on a sunny day, and it just worked, that mouse just won't notice the difference between a sunlit window and a proper mouse mat, or a table with no mouse mat at all :D

That is worth knowing Reemz, thank you. I have a fairly standard MS wireless optical mouse and a glass PC desk so I need to use a mouse mat and that is irritating.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby ReemZ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 0:31

Glad to've been of service, dunsurfin :)
Should you decide to borrow nick buy one, please let us know how it works out for you on that glass desk ;)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 19:36

Eventually I got round to getting a "darkfield" mouse. I didn't want the performance mouse MX as it's only for right handed people (I'm right handed but I use my left hand for mouse) but have just bought a "go anywhere" Logitech mouse. It certainly works well on my glass desk and I've said goodbye to my mouse mat. The only problem is that I already had a Logitech keyboard with a "unifying" USB receiver but it seems unwilling to play with the mouse and the "unifying" USB receiver is unwilling to play with the keyboard. Doubtless I will find the reason eventually but, for the time being, I have to have both receivers plugged in.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby ReemZ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 23:37

dunsurfin wrote:Eventually I got round to getting a "darkfield" mouse. I didn't want the performance mouse MX as it's only for right handed people (I'm right handed but I use my left hand for mouse) but have just bought a "go anywhere" Logitech mouse. It certainly works well on my glass desk and I've said goodbye to my mouse mat. The only problem is that I already had a Logitech keyboard with a "unifying" USB receiver but it seems unwilling to play with the mouse and the "unifying" USB receiver is unwilling to play with the keyboard. Doubtless I will find the reason eventually but, for the time being, I have to have both receivers plugged in.

I haven't tried it myself, as I've not got two "unifying" pieces of hardware on one machine, but could you try 'n see if Setpoint works via Wine?
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:43

Thanks ReemZ. Setpoint wouldn't install under wine but the "unifying software" would. Sadly it wouldn't work properly so I had to install the software on the Vista partition on the machine. Once the mouse and keyboard were unified under that they worked together OK in my Sabayon. :)

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Hardware