Flipped Webcam Image on Skype [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Flipped Webcam Image on Skype [Solved]

Postby tralala » Mon Jan 03, 2011 19:18

Hi all,

I have Sabayon 64-Bit 5.4 GNOME edition installed on my Asus K52-JK Laptop. The video my webcam captures on skype is flipped (upside down), but on Cheese, the captured video seems to be just fine.

I've had exactly the same problem on Ubuntu and I solved it by applying the method suggested by this link: http://www.korecky.org/?p=307&langswitch_lang=en , I've tried doing the same in Sabayon but had no luck with it.

I'd be glad if someone could help me with this.
Last edited by tralala on Tue Jan 04, 2011 17:09, edited 2 times in total.
tralala
Baby Hen

Re: Flipped Webcam Image on Skype

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 23:41

Try prefixing the LD_PRELOAD with:

Code: Select all
export LIBV4LCONTROL_FLAGS=3 &
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby tralala » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01

I've added the prefix to the script (after uninstalling and reinstalling skype), when I then started skype from the terminal window I got the following error notification:
 ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:ignored.
Skype succesfully loaded but still, the video image was flipped.
tralala
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16

I'm not on a Linux box at the moment, so can't check, but read the following post for some background information: Fix for Skype Webcam problem. It's not a solution to your problem, but highlights the distinction between 32-bit and 64-bit libv4l libraries (I'm not sure what Entropy does in this case, as I'm only using Portage on my main laptop). Also, you might as well try using the proper method of pre-loading, which is to edit the original script /usr/bin/skype and put export LIBV4LCONTROL_FLAGS=3 & export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so in there, instead of using a separate script. You don't need all that /usr/bin/skype.real and /usr/bin/skype stuff. Just revert to the original script as follows:

# rm /usr/bin/skype
# mv /usr/bin/skype.real /usr/bin/skype

and then edit /usr/bin/skype as specified at the end of my above-mentioned post, also prefixing with the LIBV4LCONTROL_FLAGS=3 & as explained above. It's unlikely to be a solution to your particular problem, but it is the best way to do that modification properly.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby tralala » Tue Jan 04, 2011 17:00

I did, what you have said, and it works fine now, there's a little performance loss with my camera on skype, but that is no big deal.

(I now notice that the only reason it didn't worked when I tried it the first time, was because I prefixed it by using a single "&", when I used two "&"s it started working.)
Last edited by tralala on Tue Jan 04, 2011 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
tralala
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 17:06

Whoops, I should have written two ampersands. That way the second command is only executed providing the first is finished successfully.

Glad it's now working. Kindly mark the thread as solved by clicking on Edit in your first post and appending " [Solved]" to the Subject. Ta.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Flipped Webcam Image on Skype [Solved]

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 17:17

I have same problem like trallala. The error message is same too. I've checked the file v4l1compat.so but I can found neither in /usr/lib32/libv4l nor in /usr/lib/libv4l directory therefore I understand why ignored this module the system. All the v4l packets have been installed, the export LIBV4LCONTROL_FLAGS=3 && export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so. inserted to /usr/bin/skype file. But the script cannot find the v4l1compat.so file and ignored it. What should I do that work my camera under skype?
Under Camorama and cheese working fine.

uname -a
Linux kittus-sabayon 2.6.37-sabayon #1 SMP Sat Mar 12 19:01:06 UTC 2011 x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
KDE: 4.6
Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Express
Hark! I hear a white horse coming... :)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5 GHz
RAM: 2 GB DDR II
Graphic card: ASUS EAH 4350 SILENT (ATI Radeon HD 4350)
Dual boot: Sabayon 5.4, KDE4 4.6;
Arch Linux, KDE4 4.5.3
Wildcat
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware