Recognizing My Printer Epson Stylus CX3200

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

SabayonHead
Young Hen

Recognizing My Printer Epson Stylus CX3200

Post by SabayonHead » Sun May 16, 2010 10:31

I searched around and could only find something close, to which the instructions told me to have CUPS installed ( I Do )

I even installed the PDF one for a shot but all it did was recognize to install that particular option but not the full printer. :o

It's a 3 in 1 printer.

SabayonHead
Young Hen

Re: Recognizing My Printer Epson Stylus CX3200

Post by SabayonHead » Mon May 17, 2010 2:30

I have actually seen that site and post before posting here and did download a file that ended up being a text file if I'm not mistaken. :shock:

The files listed are all deb & rpm files then there are command instructions in the comments part.

Should I try one of those files or try to find one or just get down and dirty into the comand section :oops:

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 17, 2010 3:36

Notice that the page states "Recommended Driver: gutenprint" and the RPM and DEB packages are listed in brackets after that. Those are RPM and DEB packages for the gutenprint suite of printer drivers. The Gentoo/SL Portage package manager also has the gutenprint package, and the SL Entropy package manager also has the gutenprint package. Use the equo search command to see which version of the gutenprint package you have installed.

How did you try to install the printer? Did you use the CUPS Web browser interface? If not, open a browser window and enter the URL http://localhost:631/ into the address bar, click on the Administration tab and then the Add Printer button after making sure your printer is powered up and connected to your PC (or to your network if the printer is networked). When you are prompted by a pop-up window from CUPS, you need to enter "root" (without the quotes) as the user and the root user's password.

You can see the process in the tutorial Add a printer in non-Windows through CUPS, although if your printer is connected directly to your PC then you of course select it from the list under Local Printers instead of Discovered Netwrok Printers or Other Network Printers. When you reach the page with the printer Make (manufacturer) list, select Epson from the scrollable list. When you reach the page with the printer Model list, do you find your printer model there? If not, notice from the Open Printing Database Web page I linked to earlier that "a user reported that it prints perfectly using a driver for the C62, so when your Gimp-Print version does not list this device explicitly as supported, pretend that you have the C62." So check in the Model list if there is the Stylus C62 and select it.

According to the SANE Web site (http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON) the scanner of the Stylus CX3200 is supported by the sane-epson2 backend (library) for Sane. Therefore make sure you have installed media-gfx/xsane and media-gfx/sane-backends. Also install the IScan package (media-gfx/iscan) in case that is also required.

SabayonHead
Young Hen

Post by SabayonHead » Mon May 17, 2010 6:18

I just deleted my previous post and am posting this now.

It matters which browser you use to do this. I was using Epiphany and it wasn't responding when it said "Looking for printers".

I used firefox and it responded in less than 2 seconds.

These are the options:

1. Local Printers: SCSI Printer

2. Other Network ( A bunch of options )

This isn't on a network, it's directly connected to this machine. Do I now proceed to download the file or just make sure I have the backport one you mentioned towards the end of your post?

Thanks again for that in depth reply, much appreciated : )

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 17, 2010 16:45

Download which file? Have you installed/upgraded via Entropy the packages net-print/gutenprint, media-gfx/xsane, media-gfx/sane-backends and media-gfx/iscan? In case they are relevant, I would also install app-misc/hal-cups-utils, ghostscript and gsfonts as recommended in the Arch Linux forums thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=637382. While you're at it, install/upgrade via Entropy the packages net-print/foomatic-filters-ppds, net-print/foomatic-filters, net-print/foomatic-db-ppds, net-print/foomatic-db-engine and net-print/foomatic-db. Have you tried selecting Local Printers: SCSI printer and proceeding, just to see what happens? Have a read through that Arch Linux Forums thread, as it is about the same printer model that you have. Perhaps trying someting in there will help you.

SabayonHead
Young Hen

Post by SabayonHead » Tue May 18, 2010 7:25

I really appreciate the help, truly.

I haven't had any luck.

I installed cups, and everything listed ( although guten and some others i didn't find in Sulfur )

I restarted and no luck, same scenario.

I looked through the Arch forum and I did see someone with the same printer ( and others with Epson ) that did manage to fix the problem from installing ( or rolling back ) cups but that didn't do anything for me ( and it didn't seem to work for the guy with the exact printer as mine either )

It seems that my printer is pretty old and that is why this problem is occurring, that's why I noticed some epson printer owners saying in the forums as well.

If that is the case, I'm planning on buying a new one soon so you think the newer one would work?

I might just use a live cd for the times I do have to print something for now until I get it.

Thanks...

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 18, 2010 10:55

User speng got it working, though, so there is no reason why it should not work in SL either. Reading through that thread:

1. Blacklisted usblp (You can tell if it's running by looking at the output of lsmod, and therefore ascertain whether or not you need to blacklist it. It's probably already not running in the case of SL.).

2. Installed hal-cups-utils.

3. Changed the printer from the scanner group to the lp group:

Code: Select all

chown root:lp /dev/bus/usb/002/003
replacing the usb bus and device numbers to where the printer sits. Check the correct path and device in your case, don't just copy the command.

4. Checked the vendor and product codes from the output of the lsusb command and added the udev rule 10-cx3200.rules in the udev rules directory (You'll have to search for it):

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTR{idProduct}=="0802", GROUP:="lp", MODE:="0664"
5. cd to the directory with the udev rules and do:

chmod 777 10-usb-printer.rules
6. Restart CUPS:

/etc/init.d/cups restart