Getting PulseAudio to cooperate

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Getting PulseAudio to cooperate

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 20:22

I can't recall ever having scratchy or screechy noises when I start any multimedia application. The only problem I had before I tweaked the PulseAudio settings was that XBMC did not produce any audio (although all other media players did), but that was resolved when I applied the procedure in my first post.

I did not need to do it, but the creation of /etc/asound.conf (plus the edit to /etc/pulse/default.pa already done by the SL developers) documented by micia in the thread Sabayon 5/GNOME/PulseAudio: flash plugin taking over audio has helped some people, and since my last post in this thread I have also implemented it. According to the article Why you should care about PulseAudio (and how to start doing it): "setting up ALSA to use PulseAudio through /etc/asound.conf, will account for 90% of the audio needs of a regular desktop Linux session."

I have not followed Phonon's development, but am confused by your statement that KDE users should use Phonon instead of PulseAudio, because I recently read an article by KDE and PulseAudio developer Colin Guthrie stating that he has given Phonon support for PulseAudio in the upcoming KDE 4.4.

I think the main problem with audio and several other things in Linux is that they are so complicated because they are very flexible, configurable and accommodate almost every possibility under the sun. If developers could hide the complexity and make the application work out of the box for the majority of users -- leaving the complicated tweaking for those who need to do it ('cause they want to stream music from a remote music server to a client in the bedroom, or whatever) -- then life would obviously be easier for the average user.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby willrandship » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34

Biggest issue I've had with that card was making sure it was using analog output, not digital. for some reason digital is the default, even though in my experience analog is more popular. Feels like Word, Calibri and Times New Roman all over again! :cyclops:
willrandship
Baby Hen

Postby Richlion » Sat Feb 06, 2010 15:41

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I can't recall ever having scratchy or screechy noises when I start any multimedia application. The only problem I had before I tweaked the PulseAudio settings was that XBMC did not produce any audio (although all other media players did), but that was resolved when I applied the procedure in my first post.

Those noises may not be to often, maybe it's the hardware problem with my sound card or driver. One problem is how and to whom I report this if there is no error? The other problem is I would not like to touch anything unless I have to, especially when it comes to config files. In 90% cases sound works. I tried renaming /usr/bin/pulseaudio as suggested earlier, unfortunately Skype microphone doesn't seem to work with any settings. As long as my applications are not blocking each other, I'd stay with what I have. There are a number of fixes here that relate to SL5.0 and now on 5.1 some things have already been fixed. I don't have any problems with having the following apps running at the same time:
- Firefox with a web stream
- Amarok playing
- Skype microphone working
- I can watch movies in Kaffeine, all at the same time.

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I have not followed Phonon's development, but am confused by your statement that KDE users should use Phonon instead of PulseAudio, because I recently read an article by KDE and PulseAudio developer Colin Guthrie stating that he has given Phonon support for PulseAudio in the upcoming KDE 4.4.

I guess we have to wait until developers clean up things and KDE team makes up their mind.

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I think the main problem with audio and several other things in Linux is that they are so complicated because they are very flexible, configurable and accommodate almost every possibility under the sun. If developers could hide the complexity and make the application work out of the box for the majority of users -- leaving the complicated tweaking for those who need to do it ('cause they want to stream music from a remote music server to a client in the bedroom, or whatever) -- then life would obviously be easier for the average user.

I agree, add to this that I have to check settings in a couple of places, for Skype I have to set option in:
1) KMix - at least a dozen of controls
2) System Settings Multimedia
3) in Skype

It's like too many apps are trying o take over the sound system.
And we are in the 21st century :shock:

Today I should do like in Star Trek Voyager:
"Computer - (Beeeep), disengage the sound system"
[computer] Sound system disengaged (end message)
" Computer - (beeeep), reinstall sound system"
[computer] Sound system reinstalled (end message)
"Computer - enable the sound system"
[ computer] Sound system is now enabled (end message)
:D

Regards,
Richard
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 18:03

Richard,

If you're still using PulseAudio, do try creating the file /etc/asound.conf as I mentioned in my previous post, as it does help. Actually I'm not sure why the SL developers didn't create it automatically upon installation; perhaps it was overlooked. Just create the file using KWrite or Nano as root user:

Code: Select all
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

The other configuration file lines mentioned in the link I gave earlier should already be on your installation, which makes me think that /etc/asound.conf might have been overlooked. Anyway, try it if you are still using PulseAudio, as you can always just delete it afterwards if you want. PulseAudio is working fine for me, and I use all the applications you have mentioned (and more), so it is possible. My guess is that the scratchy noise problem is probably the audio driver for your sound card.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby djreedps » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:16

I tried some of the suggestions to get PulseAudio to work. I created an /etc/asound.conf file. That seemed to work for awhile. But now, once again, I am without sound.

I used to be able to do a horrible workaround which involved killing all processes using /dev/snd/*, unloading the sound kernel module, reloading it, and then starting my sound mix application of choice. That would then allow me to hear sound from an application. But for some reason, now when I try to kill all the sound processes, it just respawns more processes using /dev/snd/* under the username pulseaudio.

I hate to rant, but is there an easy way to get rid of pulseaudio for good? When I do eselect esd list, it only shows PulseAudio as a choice for sound system. I just want something that works out of the box, without tweaking, without kludgy workarounds. I've read articles that explain the history of oss, alsa, and pulseaudio. But even with the limitations of the first two, they seemed to produce at least SOME sound much more commonly than pulseaudio does.

Thanks.
djreedps
Baby Hen

Postby djreedps » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:08

RParade wrote:
mv /usr/bin/pulseaudio /usr/bin/pulsesucks
killall pulseaudio

I just use the ALSA driver for sound, it sounds better without pulseaudio on my system anyway. Pulseaudio has some nice features, but I won't be using it until the conflicts I've had with it are resolved.

This is the best computer advice I have seen in quite some time. I also got pulseaudio to work somewhat. It was kind of cool that I could play an mp3 file and a flash video at the same time and hear sound from both simultaneously. But that isn't really very useful to the average user. I just wanted to be able to play sound consistently and in all applications. For me, mp3's would play in vlc, but the sound level seemed to fluctuate even though the volume control wasn't changing. dragonplayer would not play sound at all with wmv videos. kmix was quite messed up, with the volume keys on my keyboard fighting pulseaudio. I would hit the volume down button, but the slider would keep going back up. I think I could mute the volume, but no luck with any other volume buttons. I even tried to switch the master channel in kmix, but that didn't help either.

Now that I used RParade's advice on how to easily kill pulseaudio, everything seems to work fine. The volume keys work fine. dragonplayer plays audio. And vlc doesn't alter the sound level arbitrarily.

pulseaudio is a good idea in theory. But it is overkill for most people. The developer can blame the distros for configuring it incorrectly. But that is part of the problem. Keep it simple. Then there won't be so many problems. People who work with professional audio should be the ones to have to mess around with difficult configurations since they already know a lot more about computer audio. Average Joe's like me just want it to work.
djreedps
Baby Hen

Postby Sqens » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:24

For me, sound was working perfectly before the recent update to KDE 4.4. At that point, the headphone port stopped working (M-audio revolution 5.1), and kmix wouldn't control the volume for anything except Amarok. I'm sure it's possible to make pulseaudio work, but I see no reason to when the system is perfect (for me) without it. I followed RParade's advice and got back the previous working sound system. It'll certainly do if there's no other solution, but if possible I'd like to find a way of disabling pulseaudio that will persist through updates and won't constantly bug me about dependencies. Does anyone know where it gets called to autostart?

-S
Sqens
Baby Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 16:04

Most of these issues are caused by various faulty configs we ship with, I hope to fix these in the run up to 5.2. Pulse is not buggy but rather the setup that is being at the moment is.

Kmix is also working, but please make sure you are using 4.4.0-r10, it required a reinstall here.

Also please file bugs with pulse versions / hardware so that we have a proper record of stuff rather than forum rants.

Pulse is working fine here on amd64 5.1+limbo and KDE 4.4.0 inc flash etc.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 23:49

OK boys and girls, it seems many of you are still having a lot of trouble with audio. PulseAudio is working well for me (no issues at all), so I'm going to post my current configuration here in case it helps someone. Things have changed a bit with the new versions of PulseAudio packages that I installed since the first post of 29 October 2009 in this thread (see my post of 19 December 2009).

While I'm configuring ALSA or PulseAudio I have a mediaplayer playing. My laptop has a built-in microphone, but if it didn't I'd have a microphone plugged in too while configuring ALSA or PulseAudio. Also, I launch the PulseAudio Volume Meter (Playback) and PulseAudio Volume Meter (Recording) while I'm doing the configuration.

1. My hardware:

# lspci               
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600]
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 03)
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
0a:09.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711MP1/MS1 MemoryCardBus Controller (rev 21)
0a:09.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711MP1/MS1 MemoryCardBus Controller (rev 21)
0a:09.4 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)

# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC883 <-- That's my audio chip
Codec: LSI Si3054 <-- That's my softmodem chip

2. My SL version and edition:

# uname -a
Linux acertm8215 2.6.32-sabayon #1 SMP Sat Dec 26 23:42:22 GMT 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

3. My ALSA packages:

# eix -I alsa                                                                                                           
[U] media-libs/alsa-lib                                                                                                                 
     Available versions:  1.0.20-r1 1.0.21a (~)1.0.22 (~)1.0.22-r1 {alisp alsa_pcm_plugins_adpcm alsa_pcm_plugins_alaw alsa_pcm_plugins_asym alsa_pcm_plugins_copy alsa_pcm_plugins_dmix alsa_pcm_plugins_dshare alsa_pcm_plugins_dsnoop alsa_pcm_plugins_empty alsa_pcm_plugins_extplug alsa_pcm_plugins_file alsa_pcm_plugins_hooks alsa_pcm_plugins_iec958 alsa_pcm_plugins_ioplug alsa_pcm_plugins_ladspa alsa_pcm_plugins_lfloat alsa_pcm_plugins_linear alsa_pcm_plugins_meter alsa_pcm_plugins_mmap_emul alsa_pcm_plugins_mulaw alsa_pcm_plugins_multi alsa_pcm_plugins_null alsa_pcm_plugins_plug alsa_pcm_plugins_rate alsa_pcm_plugins_route alsa_pcm_plugins_share alsa_pcm_plugins_shm alsa_pcm_plugins_softvol debug doc python}           
     Installed versions:  1.0.21a(18:19:17 05/11/09)(alsa_pcm_plugins_adpcm alsa_pcm_plugins_alaw alsa_pcm_plugins_asym alsa_pcm_plugins_copy alsa_pcm_plugins_dmix alsa_pcm_plugins_dshare alsa_pcm_plugins_dsnoop alsa_pcm_plugins_empty alsa_pcm_plugins_extplug alsa_pcm_plugins_file alsa_pcm_plugins_hooks alsa_pcm_plugins_iec958 alsa_pcm_plugins_ioplug alsa_pcm_plugins_ladspa alsa_pcm_plugins_lfloat alsa_pcm_plugins_linear alsa_pcm_plugins_meter alsa_pcm_plugins_mmap_emul alsa_pcm_plugins_mulaw alsa_pcm_plugins_multi alsa_pcm_plugins_null alsa_pcm_plugins_plug alsa_pcm_plugins_rate alsa_pcm_plugins_route alsa_pcm_plugins_share alsa_pcm_plugins_shm alsa_pcm_plugins_softvol python -alisp -debug -doc)                       
     Homepage:            http://www.alsa-project.org/                                                                                                                               
     Description:         Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Library                                                                                                                   

[U] media-plugins/alsa-plugins
     Available versions:  1.0.20 1.0.21 (~)1.0.22 {debug ffmpeg jack libsamplerate pulseaudio speex}
     Installed versions:  1.0.21(14:55:06 12/10/09)(ffmpeg jack libsamplerate pulseaudio speex -debug)
     Description:         ALSA extra plugins                                                         

[U] media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa
     Available versions:  (0.10) 0.10.23!t 0.10.24!t (~)0.10.25!t
     Installed versions:  0.10.24(0.10)!t(14:55:06 12/10/09)     
     Homepage:            http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/     
     Description:         plugin for gstreamer                   

[U] media-sound/alsa-firmware
     Available versions:  1.0.20 (~)1.0.20-r1 {alsa_cards_aica alsa_cards_asihpi alsa_cards_darla20 alsa_cards_darla24 alsa_cards_echo3g alsa_cards_emi26 alsa_cards_emu10k1 alsa_cards_emu1212 alsa_cards_emu1616 alsa_cards_emu1820 alsa_cards_gina20 alsa_cards_gina24 alsa_cards_hdsp alsa_cards_hdspm alsa_cards_indigo alsa_cards_indigoio alsa_cards_korg1212 alsa_cards_layla20 alsa_cards_layla24 alsa_cards_maestro3 alsa_cards_mia alsa_cards_mixart alsa_cards_mona alsa_cards_msnd-pinnacle alsa_cards_pcxhr alsa_cards_sb16 alsa_cards_usb-usx2y alsa_cards_vx222 alsa_cards_wavefront alsa_cards_ymfpci}                                                                                                                                 
     Installed versions:  1.0.20(14:55:07 12/10/09)(alsa_cards_darla20 alsa_cards_darla24 alsa_cards_gina20 alsa_cards_gina24 alsa_cards_hdsp alsa_cards_hdspm alsa_cards_indigo alsa_cards_indigoio alsa_cards_layla20 alsa_cards_layla24 alsa_cards_mia alsa_cards_mixart alsa_cards_mona alsa_cards_pcxhr alsa_cards_sb16 alsa_cards_usb-usx2y alsa_cards_vx222 -alsa_cards_aica -alsa_cards_asihpi -alsa_cards_echo3g -alsa_cards_emi26 -alsa_cards_emu1212 -alsa_cards_emu1616 -alsa_cards_emu1820 -alsa_cards_korg1212 -alsa_cards_maestro3 -alsa_cards_msnd-pinnacle -alsa_cards_wavefront -alsa_cards_ymfpci)                                                                                                                                   
     Description:         Advanced Linux Sound Architecture firmware                                                                                                                 

[U] media-sound/alsa-headers
     Available versions:  1.0.20!b!s 1.0.21!b!s (~)1.0.22!b!s **9999!b!s
     Installed versions:  1.0.21!b!s(14:55:07 12/10/09)                 
     Description:         Header files for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture kernel modules

[U] media-sound/alsa-tools
     Available versions:  (0.9) 1.0.20-r1 (~)1.0.20-r2 1.0.21 (~)1.0.21-r1 (~)1.0.22
        {alsa_cards_darla20 alsa_cards_darla24 alsa_cards_echo3g alsa_cards_emu10k1 alsa_cards_emu10k1x alsa_cards_gina20 alsa_cards_gina24 alsa_cards_hdsp alsa_cards_hdspm alsa_cards_ice1712 alsa_cards_indigo alsa_cards_indigoio alsa_cards_layla20 alsa_cards_layla24 alsa_cards_mia alsa_cards_mixart alsa_cards_mona alsa_cards_pcxhr alsa_cards_rme32 alsa_cards_rme96 alsa_cards_sb16 alsa_cards_sbawe alsa_cards_sscape alsa_cards_usb-usx2y alsa_cards_vx222 fltk gtk}
     Installed versions:  1.0.21(0.9)(14:55:07 12/10/09)(alsa_cards_darla20 alsa_cards_darla24 alsa_cards_emu10k1 alsa_cards_emu10k1x alsa_cards_gina20 alsa_cards_gina24 alsa_cards_hdsp alsa_cards_hdspm alsa_cards_ice1712 alsa_cards_indigo alsa_cards_indigoio alsa_cards_layla20 alsa_cards_layla24 alsa_cards_mia alsa_cards_mixart alsa_cards_mona alsa_cards_pcxhr alsa_cards_rme32 alsa_cards_rme96 alsa_cards_sb16 alsa_cards_sbawe alsa_cards_sscape alsa_cards_usb-usx2y alsa_cards_vx222 -alsa_cards_echo3g -fltk -gtk)
     Homepage:            http://www.alsa-project.org
     Description:         Advanced Linux Sound Architecture tools

[U] media-sound/alsa-utils
     Available versions:  (0.9) (~)1.0.19-r1[1] 1.0.20-r5 1.0.21-r1 (~)1.0.22-r1
        {doc midi minimal nls}
     Installed versions:  1.0.21(0.9)(14:55:07 12/10/09)(nls -doc -minimal)
     Description:         Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Utils (alsactl, alsamixer, etc.)

[1] "sabayon" /usr/local/portage/layman/sabayon

Found 7 matches.

4. My KMix package:

# eix kmix
[U] kde-base/kmix
     Available versions:
        (4.3)   4.3.3 (~)4.3.4 (~)4.3.5
        (4.4)   (~)4.3.98-r10!m[1] (~)4.4.0 (~)4.4.0-r10[1] **4.4.9999!m!t[2]
        (live)  **9999!m!t[2]
        {alsa aqua debug +handbook kdeenablefinal (+)kdeprefix pulseaudio}
     Installed versions:  4.3.3(4.3)(19:56:48 09/11/09)(alsa handbook pulseaudio -aqua -debug -kdeprefix)
     Homepage:            http://www.kde.org/
     Description:         KDE mixer gui

[2] "kde" /usr/local/portage/layman/kde

5. My PulseAudio packages:

# eix -I pulse
[I] media-plugins/gst-plugins-pulse
     Available versions:  (0.10) 0.10.14!t 0.10.16!t (~)0.10.17!t
     Installed versions:  0.10.17(0.10)!t(01:15:09 19/12/09)
     Homepage:            http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/
     Description:         GStreamer plugin for the PulseAudio sound server

[U] media-sound/pulseaudio
     Available versions:  [m]0.9.15-r2 0.9.19 (~)0.9.21 (~)0.9.21.1 **9999[1] {(+)X (+)alsa (+)asyncns avahi bluetooth (+)caps dbus doc +glib gnome hal ipv6 jack libsamplerate lirc oss policykit system-wide tcpd test +udev}
     Installed versions:  0.9.21-r50(01:12:16 19/12/09)(X alsa asyncns avahi bluetooth caps dbus glib hal ipv6 jack tcpd udev -doc -gnome -libsamplerate -lirc -oss -test)
     Homepage:            http://www.pulseaudio.org/
     Description:         A networked sound server with an advanced plugin system

Found 2 matches.
# eix paprefs
[I] media-sound/paprefs
     Available versions:  0.9.6 (~)0.9.8 (~)0.9.9 {nls}
     Installed versions:  0.9.9(23:58:11 18/12/09)(nls)
     Homepage:            http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/paprefs
     Description:         PulseAudio Preferences, configuration dialog for PulseAudio

# eix pavucontrol
[I] media-sound/pavucontrol
     Available versions:  (~)0.9.4 0.9.5 (~)0.9.8-r1 (~)0.9.9 (~)0.9.10 {nls}
     Installed versions:  0.9.10(00:01:11 19/12/09)(nls)
     Homepage:            http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/pavucontrol/
     Description:         Pulseaudio Volume Control, GTK based mixer for Pulseaudio

# eix paman
No matches found.
# eix padevchooser
[I] media-sound/padevchooser
     Available versions:  0.9.3 (~)0.9.3-r1
     Installed versions:  0.9.3-r1(00:01:28 19/12/09)
     Homepage:            http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/padevchooser/
     Description:         PulseAudio Device Chooser, tool for quick access to PulseAudio features

# eix pavumeter
[I] media-sound/pavumeter
     Available versions:  0.9.3 (~)0.9.3-r1
     Installed versions:  0.9.3-r1(00:01:47 19/12/09)
     Homepage:            http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/pavumeter/
     Description:         PulseAudio Volume Meter, simple GTK volume meter for PulseAudio

6. My configuration files:
Note that the ONLY file I created manually was /etc/asound.conf. All the others were all there already and I did not touch them. I'm just including them here so you can compare them with what you've got.

/etc/asound.conf
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

/etc/conf.d/pulseaudio
# Config file for /etc/init.d/pulseaudio
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/pulseaudio/files/pulseaudio.conf.d,v 1.6 2006/07/29 15:34:18 flameeyes Exp $

# For more see "pulseaudio -h".

# Startup options
PA_OPTS="--log-target=syslog --disallow-module-loading=1"

/etc/conf.d/alsasound
# ENABLE_OSS_EMUL:                           
# Do you want to enable in-kernel oss emulation?
# no - Do not load oss emul drivers             
# yes - Load oss emul drivers if they're found 

ENABLE_OSS_EMUL="yes"

# RESTORE_ON_START:
# Do you want to restore your mixer settings?  If not, your cards will be
# muted.
# no - Do not restore state
# yes - Restore state

RESTORE_ON_START="yes"

# SAVE_ON_STOP:
# Do you want to save changes made to your mixer volumes when alsasound
# stops?
# no - Do not save state
# yes - Save state

SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"

# LOAD_ON_START:
# Do you want to load sound modules when alsasound starts?
# Note: The Gentoo ALSA developers encourage you to build your sound
#       drivers into the kernel unless the device is hotpluggable or
#       you need to supply specific options (such as model= to HD-Audio).
# no - Do not load modules
# yes - Load modules
LOAD_ON_START="yes"

/etc/asound.state
state.Intel {                     
        control.1 {               
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type INTEGER       
                comment.count 2           
                comment.range '0 - 31'     
                comment.dbmin -4650       
                comment.dbmax 0           
                iface MIXER               
                name 'Front Playback Volume'
                value.0 22                 
                value.1 22                 
        }                                   
        control.2 {                         
                comment.type BOOLEAN       
                comment.count 2             
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Front Playback Switch'
                value.0 true               
                value.1 true               
        }                                   
        control.3 {                         
                comment.type INTEGER       
                comment.count 2             
                comment.range '0 - 31'     
                comment.dbmin -3450         
                comment.dbmax 1200         
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Mic Playback Volume' 
                value.0 0                   
                value.1 0                   
        }                                   
        control.4 {                         
                comment.type BOOLEAN       
                comment.count 2             
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Mic Playback Switch' 
                value.0 false               
                value.1 false               
        }                                   
        control.5 {                         
                comment.type INTEGER       
                comment.count 2             
                comment.range '0 - 31'     
                comment.dbmin -3450         
                comment.dbmax 1200         
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Line Playback Volume'
                value.0 0                   
                value.1 0                   
        }                                   
        control.6 {                         
                comment.type BOOLEAN       
                comment.count 2             
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Line Playback Switch'
                value.0 false               
                value.1 false               
        }                                   
        control.7 {                         
                comment.type INTEGER       
                comment.count 2             
                comment.range '0 - 3'       
                comment.dbmin 0             
                comment.dbmax 3000         
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Mic Boost'           
                value.0 0                   
                value.1 0                   
        }                                   
        control.8 {                         
                comment.type BOOLEAN       
                comment.count 2             
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Capture Switch'       
                value.0 true               
                value.1 true               
        }                                   
        control.9 {                         
                comment.type BOOLEAN       
                comment.count 2             
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Capture Switch'       
                index 1                     
                value.0 true               
                value.1 true               
        }                                   
        control.10 {                       
                comment.type INTEGER       
                comment.count 2             
                comment.range '0 - 31'     
                comment.dbmin -1200         
                comment.dbmax 3450         
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Capture Volume'       
                value.0 0                   
                value.1 0                   
        }                                   
        control.11 {                       
                comment.type INTEGER       
                comment.count 2             
                comment.range '0 - 31'     
                comment.dbmin -1200         
                comment.dbmax 3450         
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Capture Volume'       
                index 1                     
                value.0 0                   
                value.1 0                   
        }                                   
        control.12 {                       
                comment.type ENUMERATED     
                comment.count 1             
                comment.item.0 Mic         
                comment.item.1 Line         
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Input Source'         
                value Mic                   
        }                                   
        control.13 {                       
                comment.type ENUMERATED     
                comment.count 1             
                comment.item.0 Mic         
                comment.item.1 Line         
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'Input Source'         
                index 1                     
                value Mic                   
        }                                   
        control.14 {                       
                comment.access read         
                comment.type IEC958         
                comment.count 1             
                iface MIXER                 
                name 'IEC958 Playback Con Mask'
                value '0fff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'                                                                                                                                                                         
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.15 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.access read                                                                                                                                                   
                comment.type IEC958                                                                                                                                                   
                comment.count 1                                                                                                                                                       
                iface MIXER                                                                                                                                                           
                name 'IEC958 Playback Pro Mask'                                                                                                                                       
                value '0f00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'                                                                                                                                                                         
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.16 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.type IEC958                                                                                                                                                   
                comment.count 1                                                                                                                                                       
                iface MIXER                                                                                                                                                           
                name 'IEC958 Playback Default'                                                                                                                                       
                value '0400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'                                                                                                                                                                         
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.17 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.type BOOLEAN                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.count 1                                                                                                                                                       
                iface MIXER                                                                                                                                                           
                name 'IEC958 Playback Switch'                                                                                                                                         
                value false                                                                                                                                                           
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.18 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.type BOOLEAN                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.count 1                                                                                                                                                       
                iface MIXER                                                                                                                                                           
                name 'IEC958 Default PCM Playback Switch'                                                                                                                             
                value true                                                                                                                                                           
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.19 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.type INTEGER                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.count 2                                                                                                                                                       
                comment.range '0 - 31'                                                                                                                                               
                comment.dbmin -3450                                                                                                                                                   
                comment.dbmax 1200                                                                                                                                                   
                iface MIXER                                                                                                                                                           
                name 'Beep Playback Volume'                                                                                                                                           
                value.0 0                                                                                                                                                             
                value.1 0                                                                                                                                                             
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.20 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.type BOOLEAN                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.count 2                                                                                                                                                       
                iface MIXER                                                                                                                                                           
                name 'Beep Playback Switch'                                                                                                                                           
                value.0 false                                                                                                                                                         
                value.1 false                                                                                                                                                         
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.21 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.type INTEGER                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.count 1                                                                                                                                                       
                comment.range '0 - 31'                                                                                                                                               
                comment.dbmin -4650                                                                                                                                                   
                comment.dbmax 0                                                                                                                                                       
                iface MIXER                                                                                                                                                           
                name 'Master Playback Volume'                                                                                                                                         
                value 22                                                                                                                                                             
        }                                                                                                                                                                             
        control.22 {                                                                                                                                                                 
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 1
                iface MIXER
                name 'Master Playback Switch'
                value true
        }
        control.23 {
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 1
                iface MIXER
                name 'Off-hook Switch'
                value false
        }
        control.24 {
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 1
                iface MIXER
                name 'Caller ID Switch'
                value false
        }
}

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/pulseaudio-system.conf
<?xml version="1.0"?><!--*-nxml-*-->                             
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">                 

<!--
This file is part of PulseAudio.

PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as         
published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version.                     

PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY       
or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General         
Public License for more details.                                         

You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
License along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
USA.
-->

<busconfig>

<!-- System-wide PulseAudio runs as 'pulse' user. This fragment is
       not necessary for user PulseAudio instances. -->

<policy user="pulse">
    <allow own="org.pulseaudio.Server"/>

<!-- Allow pulseaudio to talk to HAL for device detection -->
    <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager"/>
    <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device"/>
  </policy>

</busconfig>

/etc/pulse/daemon.conf
# This file is part of PulseAudio.         
#                                           
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or         
# (at your option) any later version.                                       
#                                                                           
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but         
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                 
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU           
# General Public License for more details.                                   
#                                                                           
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License   
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software                 
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307       
# USA.                                                                       

## Configuration file for the PulseAudio daemon. See pulse-daemon.conf(5) for
## more information. Default values a commented out.  Use either ; or # for 
## commenting.                                                               

; daemonize = no
; fail = yes   
; allow-module-loading = yes
; allow-exit = yes         
; use-pid-file = yes       
; system-instance = no     
; enable-shm = yes         
; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually 64 MiB
; lock-memory = no                                                               
; cpu-limit = no                                                                 

; high-priority = yes
; nice-level = -11   

; realtime-scheduling = yes
; realtime-priority = 5   

; exit-idle-time = 20
; scache-idle-time = 20

; dl-search-path = (depends on architecture)

; load-default-script-file = yes
; default-script-file =         

; log-target = auto
; log-level = notice
; log-meta = no     
; log-time = no     
; log-backtrace = 0

; resample-method = speex-float-3
; enable-remixing = yes         
; enable-lfe-remixing = no       

; flat-volumes = yes

; rlimit-fsize = -1
; rlimit-data = -1
; rlimit-stack = -1
; rlimit-core = -1
; rlimit-as = -1
; rlimit-rss = -1
; rlimit-nproc = -1
; rlimit-nofile = 256
; rlimit-memlock = -1
; rlimit-locks = -1
; rlimit-sigpending = -1
; rlimit-msgqueue = -1
; rlimit-nice = 31
; rlimit-rtprio = 9
; rlimit-rttime = 1000000

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; default-sample-channels = 2
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right

; default-fragments = 4
; default-fragment-size-msec = 25

/etc/pulse/client.conf
#                                           
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#                                                                           
#                                                                           
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
# USA.

## Configuration file for PulseAudio clients. See pulse-client.conf(5) for
## more information. Default values a commented out.  Use either ; or # for
## commenting.

; default-sink =
; default-source =
; default-server =

; autospawn = yes
; daemon-binary = /usr/bin/pulseaudio
; extra-arguments = --log-target=syslog

; cookie-file =

; enable-shm = yes
; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually 64 MiB

/etc/pulse/system.pa
#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#
#
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, 
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA. 

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started in system
# mode.

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-hal-detect.so   
load-module module-hal-detect
.else
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack HAL support)
load-module module-detect 
.endif   

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-device-restore

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user during runtime
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

/etc/pulse/default.pa
#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF   
#   
#   
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by 
#   
#   
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA. 

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)

.nofail

### Load something into the sample cache
#load-sample-lazy x11-bell /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/activate.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav 
#load-sample-lazy pulse-coldplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-access /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav

.fail

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore 
load-module module-stream-restore 
load-module module-card-restore

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files
### stored in /usr/share/application 
load-module module-augment-properties

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --   
### see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink 
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0 
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so 
load-module module-udev-detect   
.else
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack udev support) 
load-module module-detect   
.endif 

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so 
load-module module-bluetooth-discover   
.endif 

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif 
load-module module-native-protocol-unix

### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)   
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
load-module module-zeroconf-publish

### Load the RTP reciever module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Load additional modules from GConf settings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually   
### loaded modules.   
.ifexists module-gconf.so
.nofail   
load-module module-gconf 
.fail
.endif

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user during runtime
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams 

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Honour intended role device property
load-module module-intended-roles   

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle   

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
load-module module-console-kit 

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-cork-music-on-phone

# X11 modules should not be started from default.pa so that one daemon
# can be shared by multiple sessions.

### Load X11 bell module
#load-module module-x11-bell sample=bell-windowing-system

### Register ourselves in the X11 session manager
#load-module module-x11-xsmp

### Publish connection data in the X11 root window
#.ifexists module-x11-publish.so
#.nofail
#load-module module-x11-publish
#.fail
#.endif

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

7. And some screen snapshots:

Kickoff > Computer > System Settings > Multimedia (Audio Output Preferences)

Kickoff > Computer > System Settings > Multimedia (Audio Capture Preferences)

PulseAudio Applet > Preferences

PulseAudio Applet > Configure Local Sound Server... > Simultaneous Output

PulseAudio Applet > Volume Control... > Configuration

PulseAudio Applet > Volume Control... > Input Devices

PulseAudio Applet > Volume Control... > Output Devices

PulseAudio Applet > Volume Control... > Recording

PulseAudio Applet > Volume Control... > Playback

You'll notice from the screenshot above that I was using the media player JuK to play some music at the time.

PulseAudio Applet > Volume Meter (Playback)...

PulseAudio Applet > Volume Meter (Recording)...

Skype > Options > Sound Devices

KMix > Mixer

I have selected the Master radio button as the master channel (by using KMix > Select Master Channel...)

Let me know if you want to see the contents of any specific file, as I have not listed all the files with "pulse" in their name.

EDIT (March 31, 2010): Just a note for those of you with hardware including HDMI Audio who are still having trouble:

My new laptop has the following audio hardware:

# lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series]

On the Configuration tab of the PulseAudio Volume Control application, I had to change the Profile of 'Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600] Series' to Off for audio to come out of the speakers (I left the Profile of 'Internal Audio' as 'Analog Stereo Duplex' as usual).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fac3kk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:48

Hello Fitzcarraldo.

Thanks for your effort and that great guide.

I noted however that I have a little bit different packages on my systems.

[email protected] ~ $ eix -s pulseaudio
[I] media-sound/pulseaudio
     Available versions:  0.9.15-r2 0.9.19 (~)0.9.21 (~)0.9.21.1 **9999[1] {(+)X (+)alsa (+)asyncns avahi bluetooth (+)caps dbus doc +glib gnome hal ipv6 jack libsamplerate lirc oss policykit system-wide tcpd test +udev}
     Installed versions:  0.9.21.1(11:28:44 PM 02/16/2010)(X alsa asyncns avahi bluetooth caps dbus glib hal ipv6 jack tcpd udev -doc -gnome -libsamplerate -lirc -oss -system-wide -test)
     Homepage:            http://www.pulseaudio.org/
     Description:         A networked sound server with an advanced plugin system

[code]
[/code]
[email protected] ~ $ eix -s kmix
[D] kde-base/kmix
     Available versions:
        (4.3)   4.3.3 (~)4.3.4 (~)4.3.5
        (4.4)   (~)4.4.0
        {alsa aqua debug +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix pulseaudio}
     Installed versions:  4.4.0-r10(4.4)[1](10:41:57 PM 02/15/2010)(alsa handbook pulseaudio -aqua -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdeprefix)
     Homepage:            http://www.kde.org/
     Description:         KDE mixer gui

[email protected] ~ $

I believe that if you upgraded to pulseaudio-0.9.21.1 you would encounter my problems :)

However thanks to your guide I managed to straighten things up.

There are two things that have to be done together:

The first thing is that /etc/asound.conf must be present. Without it only amarok worked for me but neither firefox nor ie. smplayer.

The second thing: there was a difference between my default.pa and yours. It was "load-module module-alsa-sink". According to your config it should be commented out and so I did.

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --   
### see below -- for doing this automatically)

# This should really be commented out!                     
#load-module module-alsa-sink                                     

#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0                     
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink                                                   
#load-module module-pipe-sink

My problems are gone now :) however my device list does not look so good - I only have Internal Audio Analog Stereo and only that appears in Kmix.
Fac3kk
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware