No Sound in XBMC Acer Aspire 6530

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

No Sound in XBMC Acer Aspire 6530

Postby TheWhiteDemon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:18

I have a Radeon HD3650 and no matter what I cannot get sound from my card to work, I can only get onboard sound to work. I have sound with all programs except XBMC. I'm guessing that XBMC is trying to use my card's sound and that's why it doesn't work. Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding a solution? Thanks.
TheWhiteDemon
Baby Hen

Re: No Sound in XBMC Acer Aspire 6530

Postby TheWhiteDemon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:10

Update:

I think I got all of my speakers working finally. Still no sound out of XBMC, but thanks to whoever wrote this wiki entry:

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... ound_Cards
TheWhiteDemon
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15

check the settings in XBMC?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby TheWhiteDemon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:39

So in my settings, my audio device is listed as "default". If I try to change it to either ALSA audio output, or HDA ATI HDMI I get an error saying "Failed to initialize Audio Device". So what exactly should I try changing my audio device to? Any suggestions? Thanks.
TheWhiteDemon
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:28

Sound in Linux is a major pain, isn't it?

I had the same problem as you, viz. audio worked perfectly for all the multimedia applications except for XBMC. I solved it by installing all the PulseAudio configuration tools:

Code: Select all
equo install paprefs pavucontrol paman padevchooser pavumeter

and then launching the PulseAudio Volume Control GUI:

Kickoff > applications > Multimedia > Volume Control (PulseAudio Volume Control)

I clicked on the Configuration tab and changed:
a) the Profile for Internal Audio to "Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input"
b) the Profile for Internal Audio to "Analog Stereo Duplex"
(although I'm not sure if those are correct, and probably other settings would work).

I also went to the KDE System Settings menu (Kickoff > Computer > System Settings > Multimedia) and moved PulseAudio to the top of the list.

Oh, and I also ran AlsaMixer (enter the command "alsamixer" without the quotes under your own username in a Konsole/Terminal window) and made sure nothing was muted and that my sound card was selected (Press F6 to select it). Don't forget to use the Tab key in AlsaMixer to view the sliders on other pages.

While I was tinkering with all the settings in PulseAudio Volume Control I had XBMC running and playing an MP3 track but with no sound coming from the speakers. When I did the above, glorious music suddenly started coming from the speakers.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware