Power Management not detecting AC unplugged

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

pajamabama
Growing Hen

Power Management not detecting AC unplugged

Post by pajamabama » Sun Jul 26, 2009 14:41

The Power Management widget is showing the remaining battery life, but not indicating when the AC power is unplugged. On battery power it's supposed to switch profiles to Powersave mode, but it never detects that change.

Is it still using kpowersave? Is there a config file somewhere that I can look at?

Thanks.
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Power Management not detecting AC unplugged

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:37

Have you had a look in Kickoff > Computer > System Settings | Advanced | Power Management to see what is currently configured?

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Mon Jul 27, 2009 22:53

Might want to check how apm lm_sensors / sensors-detect cpufreq or similar is doing and if active / working properly.

There is some dell toshiba and a few other modules that might need to be installed / loaded for your laptop.

Post model make numbering and what version of SL you are using.
Also check gentoo forums for same model laptop and the trick they have used to get something similar working.

pajamabama
Growing Hen

Post by pajamabama » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04

On the gentoo forums I found how to see the status of the battery as known to acpi:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
ACPI seems to know exactly when the battery is charging and when it's discharging. For some reason, the KDE widget does not follow that indication. So what might be missing here?

I actually did see it work once, just now. But it's not working again.
HP dv6000t

www.pedorro.com

pajamabama
Growing Hen

Post by pajamabama » Sat Aug 01, 2009 19:45

HAL seems to recognize the battery state as well:

Code: Select all

lshal | grep battery
shows 'is_charging' & 'is_discharging' correctly. It's still not reflected in the KDE battery monitor. Well, actually like I said above, almost never. Twice (out of many tries) since I installed SL4.2 a week ago, it's worked. And when it does all the other actions that are supposed to happen when it switches to battery (powersave profile, etc.) also work.

What's missing here? All the capabilities are listed correctly in the 'Power Management' configuration screen. Both ACPI and HAL are correctly reporting what's happening in the hardware. Is it powerdevil that's not getting the update from HAL properly? How is that supposed to happen?

Thanks for any help.
HP dv6000t

www.pedorro.com

kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Post by kodiakmax » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:18

I had a similiar situarion. My computer showed battery state changes, but never actually registered the ac adapter when it was plugged in.

Check my post here. --> http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic ... 56&t=15873

what I ended up having to do was
I recompiled the kernel and chose to compile the AC adapter as a module and compiled the rest of the ACPI into the kernel.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.