mount existing removeable hdd [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

mount existing removeable hdd [Solved]

Postby corktowner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:46

I have two exiting external HDD which I would like to automount as /mus and /vid in fstab. These are ext3 filesystems. I know how to accomplish this in other Linux distros, however cannot use those formats in Sabayon 4.1 kde. I scanned through the forum and have found similar issues but cannot get them to work. Can someone point me in the direction I need to get this accomplished?

EDIT by moderator: Fixed the typo in the Subject so that people searching in future for a solution to this particular functionality can find this thread.
Last edited by corktowner on Sat Mar 06, 2010 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
corktowner
Simple Hen

Re: mount exitsting removeable hdd

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 17:15

plug them in?
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby corktowner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 17:53

They are plugged in and I can see them as Volumes, however that does not give them the dir entries /mus or /vid. Amarok must rescan the Volume with music each time.
corktowner
Simple Hen

Postby corktowner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 18:17

Doesn't matter at this time for /mus because Amarok has no sound! It was working yesterday. Going back to PCLinuxOS. It absolutely works and is easily configured. Hope someday to be able to use Sabayon. It is impressively fast!
corktowner
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 19:54

Do the following in a Terminal/Konsole window:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password:
# mkdir /mnt/mus
# mkdir /mnt/vid

and then entering the following two commands as the root user in a Terminal/Konsole window would manually mount your two external HDDs (or you could stick the commands in your /etc/conf.d/local script so that they're executed automatically at boot):

# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/mus
# mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/vid

or, if you want them to be mounted by fstab, add the following lines to /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /mus ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/sdc1 /vid ext3 defaults 0 2

(In the above examples I've assumed that your two external HDDs are sdb1 and sdc1 but, if they're not, just change the devices in the commands accordingly.)

How to edit and understand /etc/fstab is a good, easy to understand guide to fstab, but Google will throw up many more.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 21:47

By the way, if you 'hard code' the devices in your fstab file as shown in my previous post then you must plug in you music HDD before your video HDD or the devices could be swapped. Therefore it would be better to use the disks' UUID rather than the device name. To find out the UUID of each disk, enter the command blkid as root user in a Terminal/Konsole window. Then replace the device in your fstab file with the UUID. Below is an example; in your case the UUIDs will of course be different.

UUID="45474b09-4473-47cd-ab21-e1525fa89382" /mus ext3 defaults 0 2
UUID="932e31dd-a13b-4745-92de-e917262c7176" /vid ext3 defaults 0 2

By using UUIDs, even if you unplug your external HDDs and plug them in again, the unique ID of the HDD will be recognised.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware