ooops! [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

carpenterguy
Young Hen

ooops! [Solved]

Post by carpenterguy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 20:51

Running 3.5 and all was well, I use a kvm switch and have 3.4f on the other box. Anyway I am so pleased with 3.5 that I want to install my hp printer and am having some issues . HP device manager says cups is not working correctly and cannot finish installing the device. (something close to that ). So in spritz I un-installed cups to re-install and see if it works better.
When the process started, I saw it was un-installing 234 packages. Ever get that sick feeling in your stomach?
Yeah I hosed it, I can still start in safe mode, any suggestions?
Even in safe mode I am not sure where to start to repair, other then the nic is not working. I have tried to do a repair install from the disk and it fails. I would like to save this install, not life or death if I cant, just several hours.

carpenterguy
Young Hen

Re: ooops!

Post by carpenterguy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 18:26

Got the nic working, as far as I can tell the kernel is fine. Looking at the logs I see the nvidia kernel is tainted. Kde, fireox among many others are gone.
If I try to emerge firefox I get a "there are no ebuilds to satisfy" same with nvidia. I am trying kde for the 2nd time, 1st time it was calculating dependencies for 1 hour before I stopped it.
I have run equo libtest and reports my machine is healthy,
Cause of the ebuild errors I think I need to start with something more basic then firefox or kde, any help for a noob trying to learn? Not finding the how to repair a hosed sys in the man pages.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sun Sep 21, 2008 20:17

you have to use the correct names of the packages when emerging stuff

emerge -s firefox

Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Post by Thev00d00 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 22:45

Use equo the entropy cli itl be quicker.
# equo update
# equo install mozilla-firefox
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me

carpenterguy
Young Hen

Post by carpenterguy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 19:00

What I found after looking closer, The mozilla folder was there and if I opened it I had the firefox folder and profile, all looked normal. As you can print from FF, when I uninstalled cups it removed enough individual files it was hosed. Same thing with kde, enghlightment, gnome all the folders were still there, enough individual files removed they were hosed. I tried a repair install and it would fail with anaconda. I suspect to many files missing to put it back together. Since you can print from so many areas of the system, seems the kernel was the only thing intact. Even though I got the nic to work long enough that I could ping gentoo, after a few min. I would lose internet. Never could get it to work long enough for entropy. I hate to reinstall vrs repair. I was in over my head. Moral of the story, Entropy does a very thorough job, do not remove cupsd.
After reinstalling I have everything working perfect, still haven't got my hp 5510 office jet to work. It works perfect with 3.4f, has been the easiest printer to setup in all other linux distros. I am scouring the forums thanks to wolfdens search plugin.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sun Sep 28, 2008 19:16

hmmmmm HP should be simple enough try
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HPLIP

carpenterguy
Young Hen

Post by carpenterguy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 19:39

I got it now, total noob. trying to start cups from a terminal, when it is cupsd. works fine now.
Thanks,