Video Resolution out of range.

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Video Resolution out of range.

Postby Harm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 18:02

Hi, I wasn't too sure where to post this. Anyway, when I insert the 3.5 LiveDVD, and choose the basic function (start Sabayon Linux or something like that, doesn't really matter), everything goes fine. Untill after the loading (I think) when you end up with the login screen I guess. I assume Sabayon has a pre-set resolution/refresh rate, that my screen just doesn't support.

My screen doesn't go any higher than 1280x1024 @ 60 Mhz, but apparently Sabayon has a different resolution, or more likely, refresh rate. Is there a way to fix this? Well I know there, but could somebody explain me how to do this manually? I already installed it using the text installation, and I suppose Safe Mode is non-graphical too, so...
Harm
Young Hen

Re: Video Resolution out of range.

Postby wolfden » Wed Jul 16, 2008 23:39

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Storm Rider » Mon Jul 21, 2008 16:53

If your using ATI for video, try this, it worked for me. I had a similar problem which I couldn't fix by changing boot parameters.

In a root terminal.
Code: Select all
aticonfig --initial -f
Storm Rider
Simple Hen

Postby misty3 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:53

Had this problem in the past. Seems to be settings in monitor as it also appeared when I tried to load Kubuntu after Sabayon failed.
Could never solve so sold monitor and switched to Samsung. No problem since. Sold monitor allowed Win to load OK.
misty3
misty3
Simple Hen

Postby Harm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 16:38

aticonfig --inital -f seems to work just fine, heh. Just got to find a way to connect to the internet now. :D Had trouble finding it on Windows (Vista) too. Although it is WPA, it isn't personal not enterprise, so it's always quite tricky to find the right place. :)
Harm
Young Hen

Postby migizi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 15:52

I had the same problem with my ATI card. Something happened between one of the loops and the final DVD.
migizi
Young Hen

Return to Hardware