Will it work?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Will it work?

Postby manas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 22:38

Hello everyone,

I have used Sabayon before, about a year ago, and was quite happy with it. I recently bought a new laptop - a Compaq, which uses an Atheros 5007 WiFi Adapter. I was looking to get rid of the bundled Vista as soon as possible and downloaded Ubuntu's latest release. Thankfully, I did a Windows install first and found out that Ubuntu has difficulties with the Atheros 5007. I read on a forum that Mandriva 2008 has out-of-the-box support for the Atheros 5007, however I've never used Mandriva and was hoping that I could stick to Sabayon - a distro that I've used and loved before. So I have a few questions -

1.Does Sabayon have out-of-the-box support for the Atheros 5007? I don't have the time these days to manually tweak and edit things to get a card working, I need it to just work without too much hassle.

2.I have a 64bit AMD Dual Core Turion, does the 64bit Sabayon support the Atheros 5007 or would I have to stick with the x-86 32 bit version?

Thanks for the help, in advance.
manas
Baby Hen

Re: Will it work?

Postby Stupot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:08

While I am sure that some could answer your questions better than I, no one can guarantee anything, but if you try out the LiveDVD and it works, then it's pretty much for sure going to work once you install it. If you have hassles, no harm done, as it isn't installed. LiveDVDs are wonderful.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby manas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:32

Yeah. That's definitely the best way to go about figuring it out I guess. Was just hoping that somebody else with the same hardware might already know if it does. Thanks though :)
manas
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:42

It'll work, 32 only, 64 later - so you didn't waste money, you just made an investment for the future - like college, but not as much work.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby manas » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:49

I burned 5 DVDs with Sab 3.5 Loop 3, but for some reason they would all freeze up at some point or the other.
I then gave Mandriva 2008.1 a go. Surprisingly, my hellish WiFi card [ Atheros 5007 ] worked out-of-the-box on it. It booted up, and I was wirelessly connected. However, I've never been a big fan of Mandriva, and I've decided to keep Sabayon and fight with my piece of shit card until it works :D

At the advice of Xlnagla and a few other helpful souls at irc.freenode, I loaded Sabayon 3.4 Mini. To my relief, this worked and loaded fine.

However, now my Atheros 5007 a.k.a the WiFi card from hell remains inactive. I've read that from 3.5 onwards this card is supported [ here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=13095&p=74722&hilit=atheros+report#p74722 ]. If this is true could somebody tell me how I would update to 3.5 such that I could make it work.

If upgrading to 3.5 is not the solution, I'd like for some directions on how to use MadWifi / ndiswrapper to make it work.

I've used a few distros, including Sabayon before, and I know basic emerge tasks, editing, etc. Any help for a beginner?
manas
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:52

It will work, and here's how you do it! Let this serve as my unofficial python-updater guide for 3.4!

So, first off we're going to need to sync up our repositories. So let's pop in that emerge --sync && layman -S
Code: Select all
emerge --sync && emerge -O portage && emerge portage && layman -d sabayon && layman -a sabayon

Now, we need equo, for this, and for that we're going to need to tend to our badly ignored package.mask files. To ensure that everything's kosher there, run

etc-update

and because you haven't installed anything use the "-3" option and agree to all presented config changes.

Now we move on to the fun part!

emerge equo

should return a list of about 4 dependencies which equo needs - one of which is, most unfortunately, python. Let the install go (it should take a while), and when it's done give us another round of etc-update. Now, even more good news - you've pulled in an old version of equo! You're going to need to update it before you can do anything. **NOTE** it's been a long time since I've done this, this step might segfault or just refuse to work in general, if that's the case, then skip to the python-updater part. Anyway, you're going to have to generate the equo database and upgrade equo. So now it's time to punch in a few commands, see a movie, and come back when they're done:

equo database generate && equo update && equo install equo

it may be important to note that you have to press yes like 3 times to equo database generate.

It may be possible to world now - we're going to try it. don't be discouraged if this fails miserably.

equo world --upgrade 3.5

This will take a while.

Now that that's all dandy, we have yet more important news for you - you've basically trashed your system by doing this process. Tons of files are linked against the old python, and you've gone through and removed or updated libraries without notifying the programs that use them. So, to remedy this, we've got to use python-updater. Equo's python-updater might work for this, but I've found that from 3.4 python is too broken to work with it, so we're going to use portage's python-updater instead. Now this is the moderately annoying part - it may be necessary for you to manually remove the version numbers from some of the packages in order to get them to install.

equo packages python-updater && python-updater

Run those a few times until everything has been resolved that they bring up.

Now, if you could believe it, you system is even less stable than before. We're going to need to revdep-rebuild a lot of you programs, but we're not going to rely on revdep-rebuild - that'll bring in old versions of what you have installed if you've followed this process. Instead, go to the portage and packaging forum, click on the "revdep-rebuild woes" sticky topic, and download the associated script. Run this to have revdep work. Again, you will have to do this a few times.

And there you have it! How to go from 3.4 to 3.5L3 in a nutshell.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby manas » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:55

Can't thank you enough xlnagla. I'm currently still on the first step, hopefully the card should start working.

Thanks in advance!

-Manas
manas
Baby Hen

Postby manas » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:27

After completion of the first step, I got the following errors/message [ and since I want to be extremely cautious, lest I screw something up, I'll wait till you give the go ahead for the next ] :

* IMPORTANT: 3 config files in '/etc' need updating.
 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.
q: Updating ebuild cache ...
q: Finished 24944 entries in 0.530963 seconds

* An update to portage is available. It is _highly_ recommended
 * that you update portage now, before any other packages are updated.

* To update portage, run 'emerge portage' now.

* Running command "/usr/bin/svn update "/usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon""...
svn: REPORT request failed on '/overlay/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/overlay/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request (http://svn.sabayonlinux.org)
* Errors:
* ------
* Failed to sync overlay "sabayon".
* Error was: Syncing overlay "sabayon" returned status 256!

If this is normal, I'll proceed with the next step when you give the go ahead :)
manas
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sun Jun 08, 2008 20:13

Right, made a little mistake on the ordering in the first command - make sure you're doing everything as root and that you paste all the commands with && between them on the same line (which I think you're doing, just a reminder). I've fixed the ordering in my original howto post.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby manas » Sun Jun 08, 2008 21:14

I now get this:

>>> /etc/._cfg0000_make.globals
 * The metadata-transfer feature is now disabled by default. This disables
 * the "Updating Portage cache" routine that used to run at the tail end
 * of each `emerge --sync` operation. If you use something like the sqlite
 * module and want to keep all metadata in that format alone (useful for
 * querying), enable FEATURES="metadata-transfer" in make.conf. You should
 * also enable FEATURES="metadata-transfer" if you have any eclasses
 * from PORTDIR_OVERLAY that override eclasses from PORTDIR (in this
 * case, you may have disabled a relevant warning message by setting
 * in make.conf).
 * For help with using portage please consult the Gentoo Handbook
 * at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3
>>> sys-apps/portage-2.1.5.4 merged.
Traceback (most recent call last):   

>>> sys-apps/portage-2.1.5.4 merged.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 6371, in ?
    """
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 6365, in emerge_main
    return os.EX_OK
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 5824, in action_build
    class MergeTask(object):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 3735, in merge
    # Two currently installed packages conflict with
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 4049, in doebuild
    writemsg("!!! Manifest file not found: '%s'\n" % manifest_path,
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 4238, in merge
    mysettings.backup_changes("EBUILD_PHASE")
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 8271, in merge
    self._ensure_dir(os.path.dirname(full_path))
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 484, in elog_process
    for parent in self.nodes[node][1]:
ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack

I'm trying to report back each step since this is new to me, and I don't want to mess something up.
Is the ValueError of any significance?
manas
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Hardware