Having problems getting my printer to run right. [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

dirt
Young Hen

Having problems getting my printer to run right. [Solved]

Post by dirt » Tue May 20, 2008 13:58

I tried using the add printer from menu and my password wouldnt allow me to test the printer, access denied. Than I tried using konsole and I would get to the point where I had to add the location of this printer and it failed at that point as well. Anyone know a way to add a HP printer to this Sabayon.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Having problems getting my printer to run right.

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 20, 2008 18:53

What specific version of Sabayon Linux are you using? Are you using a LiveDVD/CD or have you installed it to your HDD? Have you merged any packages? What is the printer model? What is your PC hardware? Is is an Ethernet, USB or parallel port connection to the printer?

Anyway, try opening a browser window and entering the following URL to open the CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) configuration and monitoring panel, click on Add Printer and take it from there. When it prompts you for a password you need to enter the super user's (root) password (similar concept to Administrator in Windows), not your own password.

http://localhost:631/

dirt
Young Hen

Post by dirt » Tue May 20, 2008 19:01

It is the Mini 3.4, Hewlit Packard officejet 6310, usb. I havent merged any packages and it is installed on my hardrive. I tried using cups before but stalled out at the part where I had to enter the password, how do I go about doing this? If this how else can I install the drivers.

dirt
Young Hen

Post by dirt » Tue May 20, 2008 21:24

I tried installing through kde control center as well and everything seems to be going good until, I need to enter another password. I enter my su password and it still tells me access is denied. What am I doing wrong here?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 20, 2008 21:54

Are you able to use your superuser password to log-in as root in a Terminal window, or does that give you problems too?

Are you using the KWallet Manager to manage passwords, by any chance (a little wallet icon in the top Panel)?

dirt
Young Hen

Post by dirt » Tue May 20, 2008 21:59

I can access root no problem with my password, and the wallet manager is not enabled.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 20, 2008 23:56

I've only seen this type of behaviour on Ubuntu, and it's supposedly done for security reasons but there are ways around it specifically for Ubuntu and don't apply to SL.

Perhaps you could try re-installing CUPS. If you're using Portage rather than Entropy then you would type the following in a Terminal window as root:

emerge -1v cups

If you're an Entropy/Equo/Spritz user then hopefully someone else will post the relevant command here as I don't use Entropy myself.

Another thing you could try is I Give My Root Password but I Do Not Get Access.

EDIT: Here's another thing you can try, this time from the CUPS Software Administrators Manual: http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html#13_2

dirt
Young Hen

Post by dirt » Wed May 21, 2008 1:39

January 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I got around it by doing this:

1. In a console type : sudo passwd root

2. Follow the directions to make a root password.

3. Type su

4. Type: adduser cupsys shadow

5. Re-boot

When you bring-up cupsys, use the username "root" and the password that you nominated for the root account.

ps Obviously this also gives you root access for other things, so be warned.

This post in a thread got me past this password problem on cups.

Fitzcarraldo thanks for everything man, trying to test print and it got stuck half way through. At least it printed something!

(edit)
Its finally good, prints everything. Thanks again dude.