Creative X-fi

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Creative X-fi

Postby stevencomerthornley » Thu Apr 10, 2008 19:23

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... =990&num=1

does this mean that my Creative X-Fi sound card will work soon???!!!!!
God I hope so
Dual boot XP/Sabayon64bit
amd64 4200+ x2
GeForce 7900GS 256MB
MSI K8N Neo4-F 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD MB
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 610W PSU
OCZ Platinum 2G DDR 400
Creative X-Fi / on board AC'97sound
4 hdd-->xp/multimedia/storage/linux
stevencomerthornley
Growing Hen

Re: Creative X-fi

Postby christophocles » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14

I'm in the same boat. I still regret buying that POS.

I stuck my X-Fi Platinum in a windows box along with all of my other linux-unfriendly hardware (ATI graphics card, etc). It's plays sound most of the time when I want it to (although it crackles randomly when there is no other sound playing) and I can't get any SPDIF input or output to work due to their godawful software and drivers. Creative can't even get their sh*t together to properly support Vista, so I have zero faith in them to produce a workable linux driver. Not to mention they deliberately cripple their older hardware with poor driver support in order to force us to "upgrade" to new hardware with the same internals. And they punish and threaten those who try to improve upon their Windows drivers. It's just another slap in the face that these greedy, incompetent buffoons would outsource their linux driver development to another company and require us to pay extra for linux support.

It would be great if somebody could make a driver that fully unlocks the potential of this hardware in Linux, but that might encourage more people to buy Creative products. Creative needs to change their business practices in the worst way, so it would be best to just ignore them until they genuinely change.

If you really need a high-end sound card for your linux machine, why don't you hawk the Creative card on ebay and buy a superior product from a company that isn't so hostile to their customers?
christophocles
Baby Hen

Re: Creative X-fi

Postby stevencomerthornley » Fri Apr 11, 2008 13:34

christophocles wrote:If you really need a high-end sound card for your linux machine, why don't you hawk the Creative card on ebay and buy a superior product from a company that isn't so hostile to their customers?

who is this company that isn't so hostile to their customers?

I read a nice review on
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14500

and put the $90 card on my list at newegg to tell me when it's in stock.

I have the Creative card for the 32bitXP that I run on the other drive---I'm not unhappy with it in the XP environment, although I will certainly join you in your criticism of Creative's support, although the performance of the hardware in Windows seems fine to me, the microphone, the speakers[5.1], my headphones, using the microphone to record guitar input and mixing it for effects....all this seems pretty good, however I'm not a champion of Creative. I have an X-Fi card and am hoping to get the most mileage out of it, that's all.

I use the onboard intel8x0 sound for Linux. Right now the 3.5 Loop2 has intermittent sound performance. I can run a game with sound, quit, do something else, go back to the game and the sound doesn't work. So, not perfect, but a work in progress.
Dual boot XP/Sabayon64bit
amd64 4200+ x2
GeForce 7900GS 256MB
MSI K8N Neo4-F 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD MB
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 610W PSU
OCZ Platinum 2G DDR 400
Creative X-Fi / on board AC'97sound
4 hdd-->xp/multimedia/storage/linux
stevencomerthornley
Growing Hen

Return to Hardware