Toshiba Setellite A105-S2051 and Sabayon 3.4f vs. 3.26

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Toshiba Setellite A105-S2051 and Sabayon 3.4f vs. 3.26

Postby gymnart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 16:35

My son-in-law has a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2051 and we've tried Sabayon 3.26 and it worked beautifully "out of the box"!! It even had sound! After trying KUbuntu and Fedora Core (both did not support his sound chip) Sabayon 3.26 was great!! BUT after trying the newest release of Sabayon (3.4f), we were very disappointed -- NO sound!! What did you do to the sound driver?!
Also, with Sabayon 3.26, the graphics worked great! Beryl worked so beautifully and Extreme Tux Racer ran nice and fast. It too was perfect "out of the box". But with 3.4f, OpenGL does not run very well. It runs very s-l-o-w-l-y.

What sound driver was Sabayon 3.26 using? This is the only one that worked (out of the box) so can the dev's put this particular sound driver in the release as an alternate sound driver for this problem? Can you do the same for the graphics card drivers?

The sound chip in question is a Realtek on an ATI motherboard.
The graphics card is an ATI Radeon Express 200M.
gymnart
Baby Hen

Re: Toshiba Setellite A105-S2051 and Sabayon 3.4f vs. 3.26

Postby xlnagla » Sun Apr 06, 2008 20:31

do you still have the original 3.26 disk? If you do, you can use quickpkg to create binary packages of the drivers, copy them to a USB stick, and then load them onto your 3.4f installation using emerge -K <binpkgdir>. The radeon video drivers should be one of xf86-video-ati or ati-drivers, but I'm afraid I can't think of what your sound card drivers would be called. You can also just try emerging the latest stable video and audio drivers for your computer, and see if those work - 3.4f is rather old. As a final option, 3.5loop2r2 still has a few bugs but works rather well and would have the most updated drivers.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby gymnart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 21:09

Yes, we still have the original 3.26 disk.

How do you use quickpkg to create binary packages of the drivers? That does sound do-able. We're still very new at this.
How would you do that emerge thing?

3.4f is old already?! We just got it from the front page 2 days ago!
Is there a link to this 3.5loop2r2?

Another thing: Are there any repositories for 3.26 or 3.4f? Where are they? Can we get all the software for these versions on DVD (like you can for most of the software for SuSE 10.0)? If so, how much would it cost?

Can you "tell" your package manager where the repositories are newly located?
gymnart
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sun Apr 06, 2008 21:32

Well, yes and no.

We use portage, which is gentoo's package manager - very cutting-edge, compilation heavy, and optimized to save that extra 5% on your computer's speed - unfortunately due to this, the mindset and needs of most gentoo users is similar to that of a 20-something who's into racing and puts spoilers and decals and new suspensions in his car - not the kind of people who are going to keep around packages that are over a year old. We recognize that this is sometimes quite different from the Sabayon community, and so we've started developing our own package manager, entropy/equo, which though not as optomized, is both much faster and easier than gentoo's portage. Unfortunately, this is still in the beta stages - we don't have old version repositories up yet. (If we ever do go back and put up a 3.26 repository, the command to use to do what you're looking to do is "equo world --update 3.26"). We don't have any old software DVD's or such, primarily because of the way our system works - not yet binary based as SuSE and most other Linux's are. To use quickpkg, just type "quickpkg <packagename>", and to check to see if you have a package you can use "emerge -pC <packagename>". After runnign quickpkg, the binary packages will show up in /usr/portage/packages, and you can just copy them from there to a USB key and then reboot into 3.4f (or loop2) and run "emerge -K /media/ThePlaceWhereIPutMyFlashDisk", ignore the warnings emerge will give you, and enjoy your new old drivers again. As another note, all of this must be done on the command line as root.

A bit more about the way we manage software. Ubuntu and SuSE have release cycles for software - basically they test software on each of their versions, and set up a repository for each version separately - they need to do this because packages that are central to each release are made immutable, and once that package becomes outdated new software may not work properly and so isn't available for that release. We don't do things that way - our system is designed to allow you to update and customize every aspect - there aren't specific software sets for specific releases. Though it would be terribly difficult, you could conceivably just take your old 3.26 installation and update it to the point where it's newer than loop2 - a feat impossible with SuSE or Ubuntu. Because of this, we would never make a repository just for one version - if we set up the "equo world --update" feature, that wouldn't give you access to a different set of software, it would essentially do the same thing as using the update feature on the DVD.

As for where loop2 is, you can find it here:
ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/SabayonLinux ... op2-r2.iso

just post back if any of this confuses you or you need more information.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby gymnart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 22:00

Your reply was comforting. I do hope that the equo world is set up soon! So, it doesn't matter what version of Sabayon you're using when you want to update your software in the future? Now That's Cool!

Once I get an OS set up, I like to keep it around for a long, long, time (Much More than 1 year - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!). And with that, I would need the software and all the dependencies too (development kits included). My son-in-law might have a different philosophy, I don't know.
gymnart
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sun Apr 06, 2008 22:19

well, if you keep your OS updated, then there's no need to re-install ever, and you won't have to worry about packages being outdated. You can always use an older version of Sabayon and still be able to install anything you'd like, the only difference is that you may run into more packages that need to be updated for the package you want to work. If you'd rather stick with what you have, then the best thing to do is install the most recent version, install everything you could possibly imagine needing, and then just stick with it and use the original install DVD's upgrade 6th sense feature (new-ish) to fix anything that's broken. You will find, however, that old Sabayons reach End Of Support much faster than old SuSEs and Ubuntus - after a while, people will tell you your easiest fix is to upgrade.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby gymnart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 23:09

Thanks! Sabayon does look promising but this part, "old Sabayons reach End Of Support much faster than old SuSEs and Ubuntus - after a while, people will tell you your easiest fix is to upgrade," is what I'm leery of.
gymnart
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sun Apr 06, 2008 23:42

it's mainly a consequence of the way the system works - because everyone is able to stay current, those who are the most knowledgeable usually are also the most updated - there won't be very many people who are "fluent" in SL who can help you configure Beryl, for example. But upgrading is not painful, or destructive - if you've got an issue with HAL, and the people here ask you what HAL you're using and tell you to upgrade HAL, just type emerge HAL and after a day usually finished and viola, bleeding-edge HAL and you're back in the version range where people can help you. As for EOL, it's not that much shorter than other distros - I personally can resolve from 3.3 until current, which is much more than a year ago. You just won't find the extended support releases, where you can get help for 5 years, because at that point if you want to install anything you're going to have to upgrade core components of your system, effectively bringing you up to the current release.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby gymnart » Mon Apr 07, 2008 19:12

But upgrading is not painful, or destructive

I've read many a post on Linuxquestions.org and the Novell forums about people who did follow the crowd and upgraded their system and stuff that worked fine before, suddenly stopped working - much to their sorrow. So, I hope that Sabayon is not like that.

Like I've said, I'm the type that once I have my computer set up the way I like it, I like to sit back and enjoy it for many, many years with the occasional software upgrades, like for Gimp or Inkscape for instance (I'm an artist). This is how I've used Windows. I've obviously kept it patched but have always been able to sit back and enjoy my software for years and only upgrade individual software programs when it struck my fancy. With Linux, It just seems to me that no sooner than I get the computer running smoothly and get everything working in harmony with each other, then it's suddenly out of date, obsolete! Then I have to do all that work all over again!

BTW, my son-in-law went with KUbuntu. He saw some posts about how to get the sound to work and the advice did work for him, he has sound now. I don't know yet if he solved the slow 3d graphics problem or not.
gymnart
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:09

well, glad to hear that was resolved for him - sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati might fix his sluggish video drivers, but the good people in Ubuntuland would obviously be better to ask than those here - as for updating, I suppose it does depend on what you update - sometimes devices get depreciated, sometimes developers screw up, but there'll always be an active stable package in portage if the most recent one won't work. As for kicking back and relaxing, then as long as you won't want to do much outside of gimp, inkscape, and some office apps and such you can still do it, just know that if you need to fix something you're probably going to want to use the complete rescue feature on your installation DVD. And you're right, the world of linux moves really quickly, I suppose mainly because your average Linux user isn't a passive consumer, he/she becomes an active contributor to the community, finding bugs, suggesting ideas, and basically giving the developers lots of motivation to come up with something new and exciting, which they do. And so things move on. And you can always decide to just wait for the next monumental release - 3.4 to 3.5 or 3.5 to 3.6 or such, and use the DVD to upgrade to it - best idea if you're going down this trail is to download each of the incremental releases and walk your computer up them, upgrade by upgrade.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware