system feezes when working with extra HD's

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

system feezes when working with extra HD's

Postby schmitt » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:34

I have Sabayon installed on a HD with other partitions having Windows OS installed.
When i work on this configuration the system works stable but when i connect any other HD's that i have:

SAMSUNG SP2514N (250GB)
    SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.10 (320GB)

the linux system freezes just browsing 1 or 2 folders on these HD's(random ones)

no one of the HD's give any problem on Windows OS so i guess isn't a hardware problem ...

some idea?
schmitt
Baby Hen

Re: system feezes when working with extra HD's

Postby xlnagla » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:22

when you say freezes, do you mean completely inactive? Like, no mouse movement, the system doesn't seem to know it's inactive, or do you mean really, really unstable? The only advice I'd have is to mount the systems manually and see if that makes any difference - as root on the command line use fdisk -l to figure out what /dev/sdx your drive is and then run mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdx /mountpoint (for wherever you decide to mount it, it really doesn't matter), and then point your assorted file browsers to whatever directory you mounted your drives instead of using the built-in media browser feature in konqueror or the separate drive broswer feature in nautilus. If this works, then you can add these drives to your /etc/fstab so that they automount properly (and with permissions for the average user)

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby schmitt » Sun Jun 29, 2008 23:57

I'm realy sry for take this long to answer xlnagla

Its not completely inactive, the mouse and the keyboard freeze but the rest of the system is still running, audio/video still playing, I'm still receive msn messages but cannot interact with it(no mouse and keyboard)...

Sometimes i can browse the HDs for 5min, sometimes copy some files but when I try to open a huge file or open and close a video twice or three times and it freezes and I have to reboot.
schmitt
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:57

I had that happen to me with mounting my windows partition - went away after I used ntfs-3g as root (and put it in my fstab for all non-ntfs partitions). Try it that way.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby schmitt » Sat Jul 26, 2008 17:36

Thx xlnagla, I have been testing it with ntfs-3g for a while and it is working fine until now..guess it is solved.

Thx for your support...again.
schmitt
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware