Sabayon on Dell Vostro 1000 - Install Walk Thro

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon on Dell Vostro 1000 - Install Walk Thro

Postby srdempster » Wed Mar 12, 2008 18:11

I'm a noob to linux tho a windows power user, running opensuse 10.3 quite happily. Got 3D acceleration up and running with ati integrated graphics card (don't laugh!) but not compiz. Heard that this comes with BERYL pre-installed but dunno what's req'd to start it, may dual boot with suse yet to test it first.
Please be honest and say if im gonna struggle with it out of the box, the broadcom wlan i can do just that graphics card'll be the sh!t!

Steve
Steve run's a Dell Vostro 1000 with Dell WLAN 1390 and ATI x1150 Graphics Card. New to linux tried Ubuntu,Suse and Fedora but like's look of Sabayon. Tips and help appreciated.
srdempster
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon on Dell Vostro 1000 - Install Walk Thro

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 12, 2008 21:51

I don't know why people still think beryl is still around. Compiz-Fusion is what comes with Sabayon, it has for over the last past year..

It's a live dvd you download, give it a try and see what happens, all you'll waste is a dvd than you will know how it works out of the box and can decide if you like it or not to install it. If you want to wait, 3.5 Loop2 will be out very soon, which will have the latest and greatest.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Sabayon on Dell Vostro 1000 - Install Walk Thro

Postby altered_mind » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:12

srdempster wrote:I'm a noob to linux tho a windows power user, running opensuse 10.3 quite happily. Got 3D acceleration up and running with ati integrated graphics card (don't laugh!) but not compiz. Heard that this comes with BERYL pre-installed but dunno what's req'd to start it, may dual boot with suse yet to test it first.
Please be honest and say if im gonna struggle with it out of the box, the broadcom wlan i can do just that graphics card'll be the sh!t!

Steve

Nothing to it, I've got a Vostro 1000 to and the 3D Compiz works "GREAT"

Ive installed the Mini Edition to see how it do, and am dwnld the DVD as we speak...

As soon as I've got it installed get my Broadcom up VIA the Wiki How To's and I'll be a VERY HAPPY CAMPER!!!!!

This is the Only Linux Distro I've seen that has worked this PAINLESSLY out of the box, on my Vostro.

And I've been going at it 2wks now since I've got it, I've tried almost everyother one NO SOAP.....

In any event sit back relax ands enjoy.... I know I will.... :bom:
BEWARE of the person who would DENY you access to information.

For in THEIR HEARTS they dream themseleves YOUR MASTER(S).
altered_mind
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware