Kernel Help

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Kernel Help

Postby enderandrew » Sun Mar 02, 2008 22:58

We bought a new HP Pavillion DV9000 series. We Google'd them online for Linux drivers before we bought it. Everyone got the bcm43xx series wireless with it, which we've used previously. The HP site said we'd get that card. Instead I either got an AR5006EG or AR5007EG. Not sure, but it doesn't work. I've been told by various Madwifi peeps that the 5007 shows up as a 5006, and doesn't work. I'm trying to compile a new kernel with the patch for 5007 support, but I can't get it to boot. I tried installing it manually like I've always done. I've tried genkernel, but it always says the disk UUID-foo doesn't exist. e2fsck says there is no problems. Old kernel boots fine, as do live DVDs.

I need a new kernel so that the webcam with work, and most certainly so the wireless will work.

We tried about 6 different distros, and I've been fighting with this for a month. I wiped our latest 64-bit Sabayon install and did a new 32-bit install so I can try this patch, which only works on 32-bit. I really need this kernel to boot before my wife shoots or, or worse, demands we put Vista back on this.

lspci -v - http://pastebin.com/m67e343f9
/usr/src/linux/.config - http://pastebin.com/d4e93d82
/boot/grub/menu.lst - http://pastebin.com/d31f15171
enderandrew
Young Hen

Re: Kernel Help

Postby chickpea » Sun Mar 02, 2008 23:58

Have you tried ndiswrapping the windows driver for the wifi?
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby enderandrew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 0:01

chickpea wrote:Have you tried ndiswrapping the windows driver for the wifi?

I have, which is part of the reason I think I have the AR5007EG, and not the AR5006EG (supposedly they both show up the same is lspci). The AR5006EG is supposed to work with ndiswrapper, but the 5007 doesn't.
enderandrew
Young Hen

Postby gaffu » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:38

Have you tried to compile a kernel without the patch for the wireless card and see if it boots? Just to isolate the problem, if it is in the kernel configuration itself, or in the patch.
gaffu
Growing Hen

Postby enderandrew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 15:02

Yes. Instead of using zen-sources (which includes said patch) I used the same config on a baseline sabayon-sources, and again it doesn't boot. It obviously finds the kernel, loads the splash, starts loading modules, and then says it can't find the root disk.
enderandrew
Young Hen

Postby gaffu » Mon Mar 03, 2008 17:20

Ok, from what you say it seems to be a problem of the bootloader setup, but looking at it, i can't find anything wrong (provided that the kernel "Sabayon Linux x86 3.5 Standard Edition" boots correctly). Only difference is "dolvm" for kernel compiled using genkernel, and I don't know if you have lvm or not.

Probably stupid question: have you tried compiling a kernel using the configuration of your working kernel? (You can find it with the following command: "zcat /proc/config.gz" )
gaffu
Growing Hen

Return to Hardware