Keyboard problem

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard problem

Postby Zsombor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 23:18

I've tried to upgrade from a recent gentoo installation to sabayon, with the sabayon overlay + equo. It mostly went without major problems, I have a new kernel, new nvidia driver, new firefox etc, so far, so good. The only major, problem which i've encountered is that my keyboard under X is seriously broken, I mean, my cursor keys are not working anymore (At first gnome tried to create a screenshot everytime when I've pressed Up - I've figure out in the 'Hotkey' configuration panel, that my 'Up' button cause a 'Print' message, the down 'ISO Next Group', and so on :s ) Can anyone guess, what happened? I've tried to downgrade the kernel, the libxklavier package, the xkbcomp, and several others, but nothing helped.
Zsombor
Baby Hen

Re: Keyboard problem

Postby wolfden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:18

changing xorg requires reinstalling your input drivers - did you try that?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby chinchey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:51

I've had a similar issue that I'm trying to figure out. I had the same "screenshot" behavior with my up arrow too. Somewhere in remerging xorg-server xorg-x11 and xf86-input-keyboard that got fixed. However, I still have an issue where my 'end' key will open the kmenu. Also, 'alt' doesn't pull down the window menu any more, but it does do things like alt+tab and alt+f2 just fine. It's a little irritating. If you happen to fix your issue, I'd be very interested to hear how.
chinchey
Baby Hen

Postby gaffu » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:12

This issue has been covered in other posts in this forum and in gentoo one. For exemple
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=12457&p=72284&hilit=keyboard#p71174
Try using the search button...
gaffu
Growing Hen

Postby adambier » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34

Hi the answer is in 2 last posts in the link above, I understand its not simple to get this information so I repeat the essentiall from the post by phlo :" So i did in the kde control "Regional & Accessibility"->"Keyboard Layouts" Then select "Evdev-managed keyboard" as your keyboard model.." its work well in sabayon 3.5
adambier
Baby Hen

Postby gaffu » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:40

This is true if you are using evdev input driver. If you are using kbd driver you should add
Code: Select all
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
in the Server Flags section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead.
gaffu
Growing Hen

Postby Zsombor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 22:52

Thanks for the help, obviously i've used wrong search term on the google - lesson: google not always your best choice :D
Zsombor
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware