radeon x1650 pro agp possibly overheating

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

radeon x1650 pro agp possibly overheating

Postby Kiel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:00

When I first tried to install Sabayon 3.4f onto my desktop a very strong burning odor appeared and the installation froze. I moved some cards around thinking that there just wasn't enough ventilation and tried again. I left xgl off this time and set up dual monitors.
It's given me several problems and lock ups since install but I was always tinkering with it at the time so assumed it was my fault. But I had to restart into Windows and noticed that the temperature readout of the GPU was 128 degrees celcius.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Any ideas on how to fix it? I have the newest ATI drivers installed.

Correction, it does not look like ATI drivers are properly configured
Baby Hen

Re: radeon x1650 pro agp possibly overheating

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:11

Try to also check the video card fan if any is properly connected or not dead and or add a fan to it if one is not there.
The 1650 should not overheat like this even in windows maybe the fan has died ?

90C on my laptop and I cry like a baby LOL can not imagine 128C as the built in safe gaurd that should kill or lower it's settings in the video card bios should kick in at around 85C.

Also try speedfan in windows as this will give correct temps + start all fans it can find to test with.

Best is to boot using the cheat codes in live cd / installed /boot/grub/grub.conf :
xdriver=vesa res=1024x768
This should force the video card into a safe vesa generic driver and so likely keep it cool.
Then once back inside SL / konsole /terminal you can reinstall the ATI driver and it should fix any errors.
Sagely Hen

Re: radeon x1650 pro agp possibly overheating

Postby Kiel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 16:43

I've never been able to get speedfan to tell me anything about my video card so I use ATI Tool for it. I was playing around this morning and cranked up the fan speed to 100% but I couldn't hear anything. So right now it looks like the fan has died, it's usually very loud. Who knows when that happened. I'll play around a bit more tonight when I get home. But it looks like I'm in the market for a new fan.

It idles around 66c in Windows, I wonder why Sabayon caused it to get so hot.
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware