Brother MFC685CW sane problem

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Brother MFC685CW sane problem

Postby Calldrick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:38

Hello fellow Sabayon users

I have a number of issues to sort out.

The first is my new Brother MFC685CW all in one printer.

ok I have installed the printer as a ethernet network printer and installed the drivers from the brother website http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/ ... ivers.html clicked on the link for my model and I get the driver package for the MFC665CW....

oh well dosn't matter give them a try anyhow problem is they are rolled for RPM and Debian flavor of linux no problem found this handy howto http://gentoo-wiki.com/Brother_MFC_420CN/Cups and followed it just swapping the names for my driver package... hey presto it works I can now network print to my MFC....woohoo!!!!

The problem is I cant get XSANE to see my scanner but kooka can ???? and to get the scanner button on the MFC to work I need to get SANE to work.

any tips? or request for log extracts/config files? to help me work out what is going on

I am guessing that it probably has something to do with how sane back end works in as far as talking to the network rather than usb.... but I haven't hit the right howto yet as all i can find is howto's for sane usb fixes.

cheers
Calldrick
Calldrick
Baby Hen

Re: Brother MFC685CW sane problem

Postby x95tobos » Tue Feb 26, 2008 17:00

Not sure if this is also the case for Sabayon, but you get the ideea ...

Take a look into sane's configuration files. They are usually located in /etc/sane.d and each manufacturer has one. Then try to dabble with options in that file, uncommenting things out until you hit the jackpot.

Good luck
x95tobos
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware