Sabayon 3.3 x86 won't boot after adding ram (4GB)

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 3.3 x86 won't boot after adding ram (4GB)

Postby Ph0eniX » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:11

I had 2GB of RAM in my machine and recently decided to add 2GB more. Now Sabayon won't boot. The kernel starts booting and at one point the screen just goes blank without any errors. I tried booting a Gentoo Live CD and that worked. Gentoo saw all 4GB of RAM. Sabayon boots fine again after I remove the new RAM. I noticed that the Sabayon kernel is configured with:
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y

Is that my problem? Do I need to recompile the kernel with:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y

...instead?

Thanks! :D
Ph0eniX
Young Hen

Re: Sabayon 3.3 x86 won't boot after adding ram (4GB)

Postby xlnagla » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:56

Hello,

Upgrading to the most recent sabayon kernel should be a slightly more stable solution to your problem - this has been fixed as of the advent of 3.4, but there's nothing fundamentally flawed with what you're suggesting. Either way, best of luck.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby Ph0eniX » Thu Jan 31, 2008 15:12

Thanks for the response. So I'm basically emerging sabayon-sources (linux-2.6.23-sabayon-r1), replacing CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y with HIGHMEM64G=y in the config and compiling the kernel per the following instructions:
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... _genkernel

Presumably, I can safely skip the menuconfig step in genkernel.

Is this correct?

Thanks again! :D
Ph0eniX
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Fri Feb 01, 2008 0:56

pretty much, but don't skip the menuconfig step - you should be able to, but it won't cost you that much more time, and kernel dependencies hide in the oddest places. Just trying to pre-empt problems - never had them, but you never know.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby Ph0eniX » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:40

xlnagla wrote:pretty much, but don't skip the menuconfig step - you should be able to, but it won't cost you that much more time, and kernel dependencies hide in the oddest places. Just trying to pre-empt problems - never had them, but you never know.

~xlnagla

I started re-compiling before seeing your post. It was perfectly ok to skip the "--menuconfig" parameter. The system now boots with 4GB of RAM. Thanks for the help! :D
Ph0eniX
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:19

I wouldn't have risked it, but glad it worked out for you - you really didn't need much help at all anyway :wink:

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware