clubit VIA mother board

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

clubit VIA mother board

Postby rayray » Thu Jan 10, 2008 22:02

I recently purchased the gOS moterboard from clubit - it's the same mobo as in the walmart $199 computer. Of course, gOS runs on it, but I'm not too crazy about gOS. So I installed Debian 4.0r2 on it and spent about a day and a half trying to get an accelerated video driver working (cn700 chipsed) without much luck - I can only get it to use the vesa driver. I find that Sabayon has a via driver which seems to work pretty well when I boot the Live CD. Question: can someone tell me which via driver they are using? I ask because I plan to use this as an experimental box and will be loading a distro a month on it - just to play.

Thanks for assistance.

ray carter
rayray
Baby Hen

Re: clubit VIA mother board

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 20:33

It could be the Via Unichrome likely for the 700 not sure.
Edit with a text editor the /usr/src/linux/.config if using a live dvd or see the version you have posted here as release info and there should be a kernel config you can download and check with.
Via should be in the newer kernels since 2.6.20 onwards.
gOS looks interesting but too much like OSX so maybe they fixed a few OSX bugs LMAO.

PS> try pclinuxos2007 , vectorlinux , alinux they are fun as well but most others might not give you what we have here unfortunately all os'es are not created equally LOL.

You can also as root in terminal / konsole run "lspci" to see parts info and then search some other forums info about the same video card.

Hope this helps , see you back soon.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: clubit VIA mother board

Postby rayray » Fri Jan 11, 2008 21:08

Thanks, it's a cn700 graphics chip (onboard). After doing some checking, it appears to be the openchrome driver. Works quite well - gives 900fps from glxgears as opposed to about 170 with the vesa driver - those are the only two I've succeeded with so far. Tried to build the via driver from source for Debian 4.0r2, but could not clear all the obstacles.
rayray
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware