Dell XPS 720

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Dell XPS 720

Postby rek2 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 0:20

ok yesterday I got my new Dell XPS 720 is a beast and supper FAST!
I am a long time Debian and Gentoo GNU/linux user, at work I have like 80 servers running my own version of Gentoo GNU/Linux,
so I decided to try Sabayong since I love Gentoo so much and to maybe help in the process.
but I put the live DVD 3.4f
and it does not even boot.. it goes dark and stays there.. I am asumming kernel panick I can't even ctrl+alt+f* any console to see the msgs...

any one will this system or similar had this problem? or had this problem in the pass with any system?
I can try typing at boot all the kernel boot parameters I can find but before I reinvent the whell I rather ask..

PS: I booted with Kubuntu and seens to boot till it needs to load the Xorg driver..
that means the kernel may be different so whatever they are using works at least to boot linux, since they don't
install nvidia by default(good) I will need to install it myself for X to work under Kubuntu but I just dont want to run Kubuntu..
I want to try sabayon! :-P

Any help will be much apreciated!
Chris F.
http://www.binaryfreedom.info
http://www.spboston.org
rek2
Baby Hen

Re: Dell XPS 720

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Dec 20, 2007 13:20

If you post some lspci from any linux distro you can get loaded then it would help as well as possible parts used inside the laptop / desktop.

We have the general cheat codes " readme" file on .iso / dvd or search the forums for "cheat codes" provided you have a good idea what hardware is inside it.

Possible cheats =
xdriver=nvidia res=1440x900 dodmraid noacpi nokvm
and can be input at boot of dvd and pressing F5 instead of enter.

Just add the possible cheats before the --

pre nvidia 6600 uses the nv or legacy drivers , ati uses default ati or radeon for older cards , intel video uses 915resolution and i810 .

might need to load sis or via something modules and possible "insmod=via" could work as well as cheat code. Have to double check wording for this to work not 100% sure here.

This is gentoo based so possible fixes used in gentoo forums / wiki or SL wiki will also work here in SL and looking for the same motherboard + a boot fix for it or similar can help you get past booting bug's.

Webchat or irc chat top right of this page or wiki will maybe have some other fixes that is usefull.
Dual display should be a wiki or how-to as well as likely the 720 has sli cards in it ?

Hope this helps
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby rek2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:43

well I think is a kernel panick..
I will start to try the cheats but I was wondering if there is a development image with a newer kernel and newer nvidia drivers?

Thanks
rek2
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:53

Not sure but is the 2.6.23-r? not one of the latest kernels out there ?

You can try one of the vanila ones or similar except the "linux-sabayon" has tweaked wifi drivers to compensate for some of the defects in the generic ones not sure here.
# emerge -s sabayon
used to be sabayon-sources and should be in the SL overlay.

Try to chroot into SL installed hd from a gentoo copy if possible but likely the drivers would cause the same bug in gentoo stock live dvd and would have to use cheat codes for this as well.

Nvidia latest:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

If you post the lspci or hardware chips on the motherboard someone with a similar motherboard will be able to help you.
Gentoo forums / wiki should be of help as well as someone there should have gottent their 720 up and running already ?

Feel free to search the forums / wiki / irc / web chat here as well top right of this page as several has had similar issues and 99% of the time the cheat codes / drivers loading at boot has been a solution to this.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby rek2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:10

Hi, sorry for the misunderstanding, I just bought this computer and has windows XP on it..
I want to put sabayong but it will not boot with it.. the kernel image will freeze the monitor (see my first post)
so I cant even download anything I know everything you are telling me :-) but we are going around in circles but I do apreciate
your help. sorry for the miscomunication my first language is Spanish.

PS: if that is the latest image then I will prob if the cheats dont work on the grub boot options I will just install regular gentoo for now,
till a new version of sabayon with a new kernel comes up..
I cant even do a lspci till I install a distro on this.
Cheers
rek2
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware