ATI vs. NVIDIA

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

ATI vs. NVIDIA

Postby Stupot » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:48

Ok, so ATI has recently released updated drivers which support AIGLX. So, the question is now, is ATI on par with NVIDIA now as far as linux goes?

I want to buy a new video card to upgrade from my 7950GT . My motherboard supports NVIDIA SLI, but I don't really plan on buying two video cards and putting them in SLI, so as far as that goes, NVIDIA or ATI doesn't matter to me. I'm just trying to get the best for my money. I'm looking to spend about $200, which makes the 8800s just out of my reach.

Suggestions? Comments on ATI vs. Nvidia as far as linux goes (and as far as their performance in general goes).
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: ATI vs. NVIDIA

Postby Merlin7777 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:57

Nvidia has more experience in the linux came right now.

As for performance, if you aren't doing any serious gaming, both are pretty much equal I believe. Now, if you are gaming, then Nvidia pulls ahead.
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

Postby joost » Fri Nov 30, 2007 13:52

Nvidia supports compositing natively, direct from the driver. That means you can just run compiz-fusion without xgl or aiglx.

For folks who don't know how to do that:
Disable desktop acceleration first, then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
At the bottom of that file enable compositing by removing the #.
Restart X and voila.

Nvidia is my choice.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Nov 30, 2007 16:29

I did as you said joost and now compiz works with just the nvidia driver, no acceleration, however, compiz fusion doesn't start up automatically on login like it used to. Also, there is no icon. I know I could put the fusion-icon into the KDE autostart folder, but I'm pretty sure there was a reason that compiz has it's own way to autostart. Do you recall dealing with this issue?
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Fri Nov 30, 2007 16:46

I always start fusion-icon manually from the menu.

Just autostart fusion-icon if you'd like.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby z0phi3l » Fri Nov 30, 2007 17:16

Pre Linux I could never get an ATI card to work out of the box while nVidias just work, I've been using them ever since and see no reason to switch
z0phi3l
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:21

Ati is starting to build graphics cards again and not pda / mobile phone video cards like in the recent past , same with their drivers starting to come back to linux normality so hopefully in the next year or 2 they would be regarded as video cards in the gaming community again as this will boost the performance of their drivers / compat. in linux / windows.

A same price nvidia / ati nvidia wins hands down last time I checked 2month ago to improve on the then 7800gtx In my laptop + repalce with desktop quad core intel + nvidia 8800gts.
Linux : nvidia seem to work better but ati is catching up fast.

I have nvidia and love it but would have gone Default to ATI provided they could match or beat nvidia at time of purchase / upgrade 1.3 years / 2months ago or had working issue less drivers for linux but no ati luck back then not sure now.

Same with AMD + ATI my default choice but when I bought they gave me no reasonable choice desktop or laptop wise 1.3 years ago and 2 months ago as well so got stuck with nvidia 7950gtx + intel core duo laptop and I love it even if overpriced but I can torture this laptop and it just keeps on giving. ( MAKEOPTS="-j16" )

I recently installed a nvidia 8600gt into a friend desktop and I am impressed with what it can do + he has a old pentuim D 3.4ghz something so he keeps good pace with me and in games except when using extreme res or heavy duty defective games like GRAW + hosting the game that tries to fry a 8600gt + cpu with it's poor GRAW coding then the 8600gt falls far behind, needs the new core 2duo tech to help it out. Normal 1440x900 or their about it keeps good pace but held back by the pentuim D , would recommend at least a dual core intel or quad of possible + 8600gt for nice gaming / linux.

The new ati 3*** serious looks good but think the price will kill you so you might have to stick with nvidia until the ati prices / performance gets in line with nvidia.

Man I loved my ati / amd mix.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware