Upgrading kernel, terminal hangs? [Solved, sorta]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Upgrading kernel, terminal hangs?

Postby chickpea » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:04

lots of people are having problems with the latest genkernel. It's best to use the latest 3.4.8 release, NOT the 3.4.9 releases. There is a bug report out for the 3.4.9 genkernel that causes it to fail to build. That seems to resolve the issue for most people.

EDIT: See this post viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11439&p=66267&hilit=genkernel#p66017
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Merlin7777 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:08

Well genkernel builds fine, its building my kernel that is the problem.
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

Postby Merlin7777 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:10

Huh, seems to have worked. Hold on, let me finish the how to.
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

Postby chickpea » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:10

No, I didn't mean that genkernel 3.4.9* fails to compile, but that genkernel 3.4.9* fails to build a new kernel.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Merlin7777 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:14

Okay, so genkernel completed.

I ran the module-rebuild rebuild line, and ecountered a warning about my ati drivers,

so I am running emerge ati-drivers right now.

Hopefully that will work.

Oh, and is it normal for genkernel to finish in about a milisecond? I thought it had to compile my kernel, which normally takes a few hours right?
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

Postby chickpea » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45

Merlin7777 wrote:Oh, and is it normal for genkernel to finish in about a milisecond? I thought it had to compile my kernel, which normally takes a few hours right?

No that is not normal. Depending on the system it takes approx 20 min. to 3 hours to compile a kernel. On my machine AMD Turion64 X2 it takes approx 20 minutes. So miliseconds, unless you have something ungodly, like a google-cluster compiling your kernel, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Merlin7777 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:59

Yeah, I figured that, and realized that I copied a pound sign from the how to. Fixed and I am compiling my kernel as we speak.
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

Postby Merlin7777 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:47

okay, guys.

I compiled the kernel in about 10 minutes, that went okay. But I am having alot of trouble with:

module-rebuild rebuild

It seems like every other module errors out with a message

Code: Select all
 * Messages for package net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.47:

* ERROR: net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.47 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   35:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 3132:  Called linux-mod_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2392:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CC="$(get-KERNEL_CC)" LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} || diefunc "$FUNCNAME" "$LINENO" "$?" "Unable to make ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}.";
 *  The die message:
 *   Unable to make  KBUILD=/lib/modules/2.6.23-sabayon-r1/build KSRC=//usr/src/linux KVERS=2.6.23-sabayon-r1  -j1 all.
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.47/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.47/temp/environment'.

I have been cheating and just deleting the ones that are problematic from the moduledb file. I know I shouldn't have done this, but I thought, "Well, maybe after THIS one it will work". No dice. I rebooted, into the new kernel as a matter of fact, but when I try to rebuild my modules, it all goes to shit. Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but this is just way over my head.

Edit: I just rm ed my database, ran "module-rebuild populate" and now my list looks like this:

** Adding app-crypt/truecrypt-4.3a-r10 to moduledb.
** Adding app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-1.4.0 to moduledb.
** Adding app-laptop/acerhk-0.5.35 to moduledb.
** Adding media-video/gspcav1-20070508 to moduledb.
** Adding net-dialup/slmodem-2.9.11_pre20070813 to moduledb.

Most of these I was having problems with in the beginning but it is also missing several entries, like my ati-drivers section and the sabayon-linux section.

Should I start over from the beginning, as in get my sources, build my kernel and all of that?
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:28

the only modules I worry about are networking ones and display driver - get those and you have working system and can deal with the rest later.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Merlin7777 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 20:03

Okay thanks for your advice wolfden. I think I am going to do a clean install of 3.4 mini edition, and then start from scratch, just because I will know that if anything is screwed up it is not my doing.

If I encounter the errors with my module rebuilds again, then I will just focus on my networking and display drivers as you said.

Thanks again!

Oh, and does anyone know of a good resource for kernel building using genkernel? I know there is a help section when you build it, but there are so many options I think I may have left out a crucial one. If there isn't one, that is fine too.
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware