Lexmark Printer Driver Kit

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Lexmark Printer Driver Kit

Postby BGis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 14:15

I noticed a lot of problems with Lexmark printers (I have one :() and no drivers. I did see this http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequenti ... en,00.html .

I,m going to read and give it a shot , if anyone has used it ....... tips would be great

Baby Hen

Re: Lexmark Printer Driver Kit

Postby chickpea » Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:12

Looks like that is for creating printer drivers.

I have a Lexmark Z53, its is a PITA in linux. I got it working though the web-based CUPS interface, using the gutenprint (NOT THE FOOMATIC) drivers. For some reason the foomatic never work, only the old gutenprint. Once installed though, it is pretty good, no real issues with print quality and the print image is fairly controllable through the cups interface.
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:55

I have read several times that Lexmark's support for Linux is very poor, so when I recently bought a new printer for a Windows-only PC on my home network I avoided buying Lexmark. Reason? Because then I might have trouble printing to the remote printer via Samba and CUPS from two Linux PCs on the network. So Lexmark lost a sale. On the other hand I liked the spec. of a Canon printer and read that Canon supports Linux, so I bought Canon. Linux may occupy less than 1% of the PC market, but peripheral manufacturers had better shape up or they're going to miss some sales. In today's competitive market, I would have thought every sale counts.
Sagely Hen

Postby z0phi3l » Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:58

I've moved to HP Printers because of their support for Linux, once I had SL installed I fired up the preinstalled HP tool and had my printer setup in less than a minute, and it's a wireless networked printer. Best part is all the features that are in the Windows version work perfectly fine in SL too :)
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware