battery ac adapter kernel 2.6.23

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

battery ac adapter kernel 2.6.23

Postby siamect » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:44

Dear All
I'm running 2.6.23-sabayon-r1 kernel but I can not get the battery and ac adapter indo into the KDE kpowersave. There are no choices for the battery and the AC adapter in the menuconfig (nor xconfig).
Does any body have any clue about this? It works perfectly if I boot the kernel on the 3.4f Mini.
Thanks...
Martin
siamect
Baby Hen

Re: battery ac adapter kernel 2.6.23

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Nov 13, 2007 14:40

If you installed another SL version say PE with new kernel tehn just use the kde control panel to enable acpi or something like this last tab then restart and select + edit the laptop battery option in kde control panel.

If you recompiled or build with the new kernel and above does not fix it you could try to load / unload modules manually or update-modules --force but use this with caution / knwoing what you are doing as it can break the new kernel etc etc.

Also the kernel .config might be missing a module for your laptop and can be added to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 or this is where it used to be added to to load during start-up.
# xconfig
in /usr/src/linux
or
# make menuconfig
in same folder to check or edit with kwrite or notepad the .config file.

Best bet is to lspci and lsmod and see if anything is there that is in 3.4 mini cd version or 3.4F dvd version and add this module like above.
Gentoo.org forums / wiki if not in our wiki or google search helps as well to get correct info / wiki for how-to.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby siamect » Wed Nov 14, 2007 0:42

Thanks for this, but I think you misunderstood me a little...

There are no choices for the battery and the AC adapter in the menuconfig (nor xconfig). So when I build the kernel I cannot enable battery and AC adapter.

If I do the same with the gentoo 2.6.23-r1 sources I can enable it in menuconfig and it works fine. But in the sabayon sources they are missing... I have tried to add them in the config file but no difference.
BR
Martin
siamect
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:54

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/sabayon/kco ... ion.config

If yours is the same as this or you use this one to replace the current one + recompile and still the same error then = weard.
Alternatively using:
# eselect rc list
and then
# rc-update add ****** default
Should enable the batery part when replacing the ***** with the correct wording.

Manually loading it with /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 can help as well.
Check also /boot/grub/grub.conf and make sure during the boot of the live cd /dvd you did not disable the batery / power mangm. function or similar and when installing it was coppied over to this to grub.conf .

# update-modules --force
also works but might disable some other modules + add the battery one and so stop it from booting etc etc

More than this you would need to check the kernel compile wiki from us or gentoo.org with above or 3.4F .config maybe something is missing and needs to be installed + recompiled but all SL kernels should by default have batery power mangm. enabled to some degree since 3.4

revdep-rebuild -X
can also fix missing deps that is needed by batery mangm. / kpower ???

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby siamect » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:03

Ok... thanks for helping me in this.

What I do is the following: (from instruction provided elsewhere in sabayon.org)

# emerge genkernel sabayon-sources
# eselect kernel list
# eselect kernel set x #to whatever I get in the list
# zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/config
# genkernel --kernel-config=/usr/src/config --menuconfig --bootloader=grub --splash=sabayon --lvm all

When I get into the menuconfig there are no options for the battery not the AC adapter.
Insinde the /usr/src/config file there are no
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
they are missing...

I don't know if it has any impact on this but I should also mention that the installation i have has gone through a complete emerge --sync, emerge -uvD world and all the problems with that has been solved. Everything else works including compiz-fusion and the full KDE is reemerged. So I'm quite happy with it as it is. I have 4 boot possibilities in grub:

1 original sabayon 3.4f that works fine
2 the gentoo-kernel 2.6.23-r1 works but it is really slow so I have to take a look at the configuration
3 the sabayon-kernel 2.6.23-r1 works but the battery/ac adapter doesn't work
4 you don't wanna know but it is slooooow and ugly (XP)

Conclusion is that if I (and bill gates) keep our fingers away from the thing... it works! :)

Best regards
Martin
siamect
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:27

LOL
# emerge -s sabayon
# emerge -p sabayon-sources
# emerge sabayon-sources

genkernel then sabayon ?

As far as I know genkernel is different from sabayon-sources as sabayon-sources is fine tuned and modded or added stuff genkernel does not have , but might be wrong here.

The 2.6.23 sabayon-sources is likely all you would need as example above then the battery part should be there.

I will upload the compiled kernel to ibiblio.org ftp later today as found in PE that it boots from maybe you can replace /boot/.... kernel with this one and try again.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby echo6 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 17:22

I've only just noticed this same issue with sys-kernel/sabayon-sources-2.6.23-r1.
Again other kernels I have prior to 2.6.23 work fine and have the respective entries for ac_power and battery.

Genkernel is a script which aides in compiling the kernel, building modules, making a ram image and editing grub/lilo bootloader configs and subsequently copying the kernel image etc to /boot. Genkernel has nothing to do with patchsets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Sabayon follows the Gentoo patch sets and may have additional kernel patches.

For kpowersave to work you need /proc/acpi/battery /proc/acpi/ac_adapter entries. I'm emerging sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r3 to see if those modules are available. From what I understand the kernel developers are deprecating /proc/acpi file entries to sysfs so I guess the userland tools need to catch up!
echo6
Growing Hen

Postby echo6 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 18:41

Hmm, found a post on the Gentoo forums which assists :-)

You need to enable CONFIG_POWER_SUPPLY in the kernel.config
Device Drivers --->
<*> Power supply class support --->
echo6
Growing Hen

Return to Hardware