Any Tips for Lenovo ThinkPad T61?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Any Tips for Lenovo ThinkPad T61?

Postby Jeff-cao » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:55

Hi All

I am a newbie. I just installed Sabayon 3.4f on my new ThinkPad T61. I checked the package list before installation. And I found the iwlwifi4965-ucode-4.44.15 package. So I guess my 4965AGN wireless card should work. But it doesn't. The audio doesn't work either. Could any body give some tips or suggestions? Thank you very much. :D
Last edited by Jeff-cao on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:07, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-cao
Baby Hen

Re: Any Tips for Lenovo ThinkPad T61?

Postby defraz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:08

for audio isuue, try typing "alsaconfig" in terminal window (with root privileges), worked for me...
defraz
Baby Hen

Postby Jeff-cao » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:08

defraz wrote:for audio isuue, try typing "alsaconfig" in terminal window (with root privileges), worked for me...

Thanks.
Jeff-cao
Baby Hen

Postby Jeff-cao » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:34

It's still doesn't work.
Jeff-cao
Baby Hen

Postby thinkgeek » Tue Sep 25, 2007 21:46

Has a solution been found yet? I'm currently running Fedora 7 x86_64 on my Thinkpad T61, but I'm thinking about making a switch. I was completely blown away by the 3.4F liveDVD, very nice! There is a solution for the sound problem with the Thinkpad T61 in the FedoraForums:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho ... hlight=t61

While it would be really nice if that solution would work in sabayon too, I'm pretty sure I can't assume that it would. On the other hand, I don't see anything in solution that makes it look Fedora specific (no rpms and such), so it might.

Another possible fix that I've found when looking in Gentoo forums is upgrading the alsa driver to the newest version (mercurial, I think but I'm not sure). I wouldn't mind using a newer version of the alsa driver even if it isn't considered stable yet. It would at least be worth a try, right :) . The problem with that is that I'm not really sure how I would go about doing it.

First, I thought I'd check to see if any other solutions have been implemented by someone actually using sabayon.
thinkgeek
Baby Hen

Postby joeyman9 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 16:38

Problem Solved, here's what I did:

This pertains to the latest release 3.5 the 32 bit system. On my Lenovo T61 I got No Sound. After unsuccessfully playing around with alsaconf under kde, I booted gnome. There I brought up volume control and checked the box that was unchecked labeled Speaker. That did it and it worked. You can find this Volume Control Program under the menu under "Sound and Video" then it is at the bottom of the next menu.
joeyman9
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware