Creative USB MP3 player

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Creative USB MP3 player

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 20:40

This may take you further, I've given up for the time being!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3991040
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 20:58

So I did mtb-detect as root user and got

Autodetected device with VID=041e and PID=4157 is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model name etc to the
libmtp development team!
PTP: Opening session
Could not get device info!
Connection error.
No devices.

I then did lsusb as root and got

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 041e:4157 Creative Technology, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 041e:4055 Creative Technology, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

So I *think* that it is detecting something but I am not too sure how to get the last few steps.

Thanks for the help so far, can anyone get me the other last few steps?

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 21:53

I've just updated libmtp to 0.2.4 and that helps with the mtp-detect but that's as far as I'm going at the moment. It's less trouble to boot into XP and use zen explorer there :(
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 22:17

Problem is, I have XP x64 and the software that goes with it is only 32bit :o(

Have I just bought an expensive piece of junk?

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 23:17

hunt_mat wrote:Have I just bought an expensive piece of junk?

Mat

I doubt it. Some people appear to have it working so there must be a way!

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby violagirl23 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:50

I hope this isn't too old to revive...
dunsurfin:
There IS an ebuild for mtpfs, just an unofficial one. It's listed at http://www.gentoo-portage.com , here near the bottom:
http://gentoo-portage.com/net-fs/sfs/Bugs
This is it specifically:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189304
Use the Improved ebuild for version 0.7, it works splendid. :)
Do you know how to make an overlay? I just used my overlay and put it under /usr/local/portage/sys-fs/mtpfs, personally (the standard place for an overlay is /usr/local/portage).
If you don't already have an overlay set up, then just follow the instructions in here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild
Just make sure you copy the ebuild at the site I gave you, making the appropriate folder for it (like I said, /usr/local/portage/sys-fs/mtpfs is what I did), copy the ebuild in there, and then do ebuild <the ebuild> digest and you can emerge it. :)
I personally think it's totally worth setting up your own overlay. You only have to do it once, and then you can customize packages and make your own patches whenever you feel the need. And if you have a package in an overlay and in Portage and still want to ensure getting the Portage one, you can just comment out the line in your /etc/make.conf to emerge it, and then uncomment it after. Easy as pie!
violagirl23
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 21:43

Thank you for that. I followed the instructions and emerged the new mtpfs but mtp-detect fails to detect my zen. Perhaps it's because I'm using 64 bit Sabayon or perhaps it's just one of those things.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby holastickboy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:47

WHOA OMGZOR!
I have a creative zen micro, and there is a program that you can get on Linux that allows you to add songs and change things on the device.

http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/

I now use this program to update my MP3 player, as Vista doesnt actually support most of the Creative Mp3 devices. Good ol' Linux comes to the rescue again :D

I just wonder why Creative never made their Mp3 players as external USB hard drives like a flash drive or something, would work much better. Please note too: All I did was install Gnomad2 and I didnt have to bother with any other settings, it just worked with the Zen. Give that a try :D
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2gb DDR2 800 RAM
256mb Nvidia GeForce 7950gt
720gb HDD
Proud Linux Gamer
holastickboy
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 16:35

I had already tried Gnomad2 without success but decided to try it again only to find it wouldn't load. Eventually traced the problem to the wrong version of libmtp. I had 0.2.4 and the only version that Gnomad2 would work with is 0.1.3. So I emerged 0.1.3 and Gnomad2 starts but fails to recognise the Zen. It's strange because the Zen comes up as docked. With mtp-detect I get this:
Autodetected device with VID=041e and PID=4157 is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model name etc to the
libmtp development team!
PTP: request code 0x11e6a8 sending req wrote only 16 bytes instead of 0
PTP ERROR IO: Trying again after resetting USB
Could not get device info!
Connection error.
No devices.
And that is, presumably, because I now have an old version of libmtp :( On December 28th. I managed to get the zen detected with libmtp 0.2.4 but it was at that point I decided to stop worrying about it. I have to keep XP on my system at the moment and it's far less hassle to update my Zen by rebooting into that (I don't use my zen much so it's only a matter of about once a month). It was my own fault for buying a piece of hardware without checking first!

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby holastickboy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:54

That's ashame mate, what's even worse is creative's attitude about it, they think its obsolete and dont touch them anymore. Great player for its time though, much more reliable then the Ipods at the time (though Ipods are now quite stable)
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2gb DDR2 800 RAM
256mb Nvidia GeForce 7950gt
720gb HDD
Proud Linux Gamer
holastickboy
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware