Creative USB MP3 player

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Creative USB MP3 player

Postby hunt_mat » Sun Sep 09, 2007 21:03

Hi,

I have a Creative MP3 player, I have lost the disk that it came with. Can I write to it using Linux?

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Re: Creative USB MP3 player

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 21:41

This is probably not very helpful but - why not try plugging it in to see?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:19

I have done that, as it was as you say the obvious thing to do and it didn't work, I didn't have write permissions.

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby j7uy5 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:06

If it is merely a write permission problem, try doing it as root. If that works it should be possible to solve the permission problem so that you don't have to do it as root all the time.

I have an old Creative Nomad, it requires proprietary drivers that are a pain to use and I have not done it with any recent distro. Maybe the newer ones are better, but I have no way of knowing about that.
j7uy5
Simple Hen

Postby Buckeye Jack » Thu Sep 27, 2007 0:19

I almost submitted a post for a coby mp3 player. I played around a little and I hope this helps you. I am assuming you are using Amarok?
number 1) In Amarok go to settings configure Amarok the auto detect button didn't work so I clicked add device.
number 2) select plugin says do no handle, change to ( I used generic audio device ) if yours is listed use it
number 3) enter the name of your device , if not named or not known right click mouse on the removable drive I'm using KDE right now it's on the bottom right.
Click properties . The name is there or delete if a device name I deleted and named mine Robert .
number 4) In the properties Right click Mounting. I believe I put an x next to mount automatically. Take the info in the Mountpoint and enter into mountpoint of add new device and click OK.
number E) Your device should now be listed in the Amarok click connect and that should do it. It worked for me .
This took me about fourty five minutes to figure out as I am Two weeks new to Linux and have been using Sabayon for two days.
I didn't try loading songs, I am sure it will work, I can play all the music on mine.
Let me know if this helps, I tried to put in steps to make easier for all. Good luck, Jack
Buckeye Jack
Baby Hen

Postby Buckeye Jack » Thu Sep 27, 2007 0:34

Ooops, I didn't notice the write part, I was happy to get mine recognized. That also might be in the properties, then permissions, check that out.
Hope I was of some help!! Jack
Buckeye Jack
Baby Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:21

Hi,

Thanks for that, the problem is that I can't get my creative player to be recognised to start with. There is no icon in the bottom right hand of the screen saying "removable device" or something like that. I think thats a more fundamental problem I have to solve.

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 13:08

I should have said. I Now have two creative MP3 players. When I plug one in it thinks it's a camera! and the other I can get to be recognised at all!!

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 14:34

I've been having a similar problem with a Creative Zen 8gb MP3 player. Apparently I need mtpfs and am currently trying to install it (it's not in portage). mtpfs allows all mtp devices to be treated in the same way as other removable media.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 18:27

Okay, having successfully installed MPTfs, now what?

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Hardware