Installing printer, help appreciated.

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Aetre
Baby Hen

Installing printer, help appreciated.

Post by Aetre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:27

I put Sabayon on a computer that does not have Internet access, but does have a printer (Epson Stylus C88+). Apparently the driver I need is gutenprint, but it's not already on the machine. CUPS tells me each time I try to install it that "either the driver doesn't exist, or you don't have the permissions to do this." I have the permissions, because I'm doing this in root.

The only package for gutenprint that I've found is an RPM, and Sabayon, sadly, is not RPM-based. So what file(s) would I need to put on a pen drive and transport to this computer, and once I do that, what should I do with them / what directory should I put them in so that the driver will be installed?

Thanks for any help on the matter.

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Re: Installing printer, help appreciated.

Post by darkscot » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:06

Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |

Aetre
Baby Hen

Post by Aetre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 20:32

Okay, once I had the source files, I got the driver installed.

However, the printer still doesn't print.

CUPS detected the printer as an Epson Stylus C88 (note: mine is the C88+; I don't know if the + matters, but there was no C88+ option available), and correctly detected the usb port it's hooked up through, and everything from the driver and installation side seems complete--the printer shows up as the default when I try to print in OOo, etc. But when I tell the computer to print anything, the printer simply does not print. It doesn't blink its light to say it's receiving information or anything, either.

Any ideas?

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Post by darkscot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:44

I have an Epson C86 but if I select that driver it doesn't work. I have to select C84! Don't know why, but I have had the same problem with other distros.
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |

Aetre
Baby Hen

Post by Aetre » Fri Sep 07, 2007 18:50

Yep, it works on the C84 setting.

Thanks! And here's hoping the later drivers get fixed at some point.