Saitek Eclipse Key Mapping... Or something like that i guess

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

boe_dye
Baby Hen

Saitek Eclipse Key Mapping... Or something like that i guess

Post by boe_dye » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:11

What I have is a Saitek Eclipse keyboard that plugs in Via USB (just in case someone reading this is unfamiliar with it)...

Anywho, from what i have been able to gather USB keyboards tend to run a little different then regular PS2 keyboards, hence what I believe my problem is.

My problem btw, is that I have three little gray buttons on the top right that make my computing experience significantly more delightful. These buttons control my master volume control (but seeing as how I am desperately trying to learn new things I suppose I could make them control whatever I wanted, but for now lets just stick to volume.)

So, i have a Volume up button, I have a Volume Down Button, and I have a Mute Button.

Every other key on the keyboard works just dandy, except those three little buttons...

I am certain that someone reading this will be able to sympathize that while you are sitting at your computer listening to some nice ambient electronica (or whatever), and you go onto a web page that some "unmentionble word" feels it necessary to play some really annoying embedded music, or say in a very loud voice "HI WELCOME TO MY WEB PAGE, I DON"T CARE THAT YOU ARE LISTENING TO MUSIC, I JUST WANTED TO BLOW OUT YOUR 15 INCH SPEAKER BY SAYING HI IN A OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD VOICE!!!" and you are fumbling around trying to turn things down...

Hence my desperate need for mapping these buggers...

Anyway, if anyone out there in the world would so kindly teach me how to enable these functions, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Cohan
Baby Hen

Re: Saitek Eclipse Key Mapping... Or something like that i guess

Post by Cohan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:04

Have a look at http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... =56&t=9741 with the external links from there.

boe_dye
Baby Hen

Re: Saitek Eclipse Key Mapping... Or something like that i guess

Post by boe_dye » Sat Sep 15, 2007 23:42

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post, but I went to St. Louis for a spell, and was preoccupied with that...

Anyway, I went to that post that you directed me to and had some luck.

I went into the failsafe mode of Sabayon, and it opened root terminal. however whenever I typed showkey -* it would automatically start scrolling down and down and down, so that whenever I did push the button that I wanted to map it would show, but then it would disappear to the top of the screen. I tried some old DOS tricks hoping that it would stop (like alt pause, or alt break) and nothing worked...

Except that it showed me the mapped key names that again quickly disappeared on the top of the screen.

So anyone have any thoughts on how to stop the showkey command from scrolling?

(and just in case my explanation is vague, imagine hitting and holding "enter" for a long time on a window or a doc file and that is basically what i am describing)