Solid state drive or no? [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Solid state drive or no? [Solved]

Postby billwx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:15

Hi All,
I am considering a solid state drive for my HP-15 since a recent accident has left me less than confident about my brand new sata drive. I short i tripped over the ethernet cord sending the laptop falling from desk to floor while it was turned on. No obvious physical damage and HP Diagnostics for long and short hd test say "passed." However, there is now a faint hd clicking noise at boot up and when the unit is very busy. I did not notice this before. Also Sabayon boots slower and has frozen twice requiring a hard shutdown. Once it refused to shutdown normally, also requiring a hard shutdown.

Needless to say i am being even more careful about frequently backing up important data to usb drives. But in the long run 1. Am i just being ocd about this? 2. Would a reformat and Sabayon reinstall solve the problem? 3. Should i go to another sata drive? or 4. Should i try a solid state drive?

Concerning option 4, i don't see any recent posts on the subject. Are there known issues with switching to a solid state drive overall, and specifically with Sabayon? Thanks for any advice!
billwx
Young Hen

Re: Solid state drive or no?

Postby Stupot » Wed Jan 11, 2017 18:54

SSDs are simply way faster than an HDD. I'd recommend switching. Also, HDDs are evil, according to Linus: https://www.wired.com/2012/10/linus-tor ... ard-disks/
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby bookewyrmm » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:31

I generally use SSD only where performance is an issue, but as Stupot pointed out, Linus has stated his opinion... I like hybrid drives, you get most of the performance increase AND the drive volume of HDD without the cost of SSD.
bookewyrmm
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:16

Much as I'd like to move from HDDs to SSDs to gain the touted big improvement in performance, I am still rather wary, because I am often away from home on long work trips and cannot backup the HDD in my work laptop regularly. I do not want to use the Cloud to backup my data, and often have no way of connecting to the Cloud in any case.

https://www.cyberstreams.com/2016s-ssd- ... ty-report/
Overall, SSD flash drives experience significantly lower replacement rates (within their rated lifetime) than hard disk drives. The only catch is that they experience significantly higher rates of uncorrectable errors than hard disk drives.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliab ... xperience/
Key conclusions

Ignore Uncorrectable Bit Error Rate (UBER) specs. A meaningless number.
Good news: Raw Bit Error Rate (RBER) increases slower than expected from wearout and is not correlated with UBER or other failures.
High-end SLC drives are no more reliable that MLC drives.
Bad news: SSDs fail at a lower rate than disks, but UBER rate is higher (see below for what this means).
SSD age, not usage, affects reliability.
Bad blocks in new SSDs are common, and drives with a large number of bad blocks are much more likely to lose hundreds of other blocks, most likely due to die or chip failure.
30-80 percent of SSDs develop at least one bad block and 2-7 percent develop at least one bad chip in the first four years of deployment.
SSD UBER rates are higher than disk rates, which means that backing up SSDs is even more important than it is with disks. The SSD is less likely to fail during its normal life, but more likely to lose data.

Although the infamous failure of the SSDs in the servers at Algolia in 2015 turned out to be due to a bug in the Linux kernel rather than an inherent problem in the SSDs themselves, it scared me nonetheless: https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-sta ... hat-solid/
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby bookewyrmm » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:28

My employer has moved to all SSD and M.2 SSD for laptop deployments. We are a Dell shop running another OS ( :roll: ) but, we have had a very low failure rate even running full disk encryption. I personally just can't justify the cost/performance ratio for what I do at home. As I mentioned above, I have had great success with Seagate Hybrid drives, and the price per Gb is good too.
bookewyrmm
Young Hen

Postby billwx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:05

Thanks for all comments. I do feel the need to get a new hard drive and would like to take the opportunity to upgrade to better and faster hardware. On the other hand, i am not willing to take the risk of data loss from an SSD. I knew little about hybrid drives before they were mentioned here, but now feel that is the way i should go. Mark this one solved please and thanks!
billwx
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:21

billwx wrote:Mark this one solved please and thanks!

You can mark your threads as solved yourself. You click on the EDIT button of the *first* post and add "[Solved]" (without the quotes) to the Subject. I'll do it for you this time.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Solid state drive or no? [Solved]

Postby AkselVerg » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28

Another reasoning on what is better SSD or HDD :D . What can I say, I had to go through it. I collected a PC by myself not so long ago. I had already determined with all the components except the hard disk. I decided to go online, read a couple of forums on this topic .. and then my brain exploded :roll: . I used to use HDD, I did not even recognized how much i would have to read and learn and I found out a lot. How I was wrong before! Only by reading the wiki on SSD ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive ), you can understand how much this kind of drives is better. In addition, the forums enlightened, thanks to kind people. Almost immediately it became clear that the SSD would not only increase the loading speed of PCs but also significantly raise the processing speed of the information in the system itself. I am a gamer with huge experience categorically do not like all kinds of hanging and lag. There is left the main thing - to determine what exactly SSD I need. Very pleased that you can use SSD as the main drive and HDD as an additional one. I chose between the drives from Toshiba and Kingston. Finally, I`ve stopped my choice on the Kingston. And I was very pleased with it.

Summarizing all of the above, I can confidently state that SSD is worth using as a hard disk. Especially if you have an old computer, and you want to increase its performance.

P.S. I hope this article would help someone else to solve the dilemma whether to put SSD)) :oops:

Moderator edit: First ever post by this particular new user to the Sabayon Forums. I have removed the link to a commercial Web site from this post -- this user's posts on other forums seems to favour that commercial site -- but I have left the remainder of his post intact (for the time being).
AkselVerg
Baby Hen

Re: Solid state drive or no? [Solved]

Postby bookewyrmm » Thu Jun 08, 2017 13:10

also, it would seem, to my regret, Seagate has almost completely stopped supporting/producing the hybrid drives I like :cry:
bookewyrmm
Young Hen

Return to Hardware