Package Installs??

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

sqlpython
Technological Hen

Package Installs??

Post by sqlpython » Mon Jun 18, 2007 17:06

I am new to Sabayon but a 12 year LINUX user.
I really like Sabayon as I have been looking at it for a year and have finally installed the mini on a spare Laptop drive.
The install went great Sound, Wifi etc.. So I ordered a DVD to get a full version.
However, I could use some help/directions regarding installing packages.
I am very familar deb and rpm and tar install of packages but portage as method is new to me.
I called up the KDE gui but almost all packages State in Window of gui ..No longer Available..??
Why?
Secondly, Where/How do I get packages that are not on the Tree?
C++ compiler.. Eclipse for Java.. etc..
So I need directions as to the package format I would look for when I add packages as a Sabayon user.
And where to get them..
Thanks........ for all and any help..
This is what I want to have on my desktop..
Kontact PIM
Kpilot for my Palm
Xine and RealPlayer for video
Amarok Music
OpenOffice
GNU Cash
CrossOver from Codeweavers
Eclipse for Java
Komodo IDE
Cforge for C++ ((which I will install per what? tar, rpm, deb??)
Pixel 32 for Image manipulation
Mysql
Knoda for mysql
Perl, Java, Python
DigiKam for camera
Audacity sound studio

Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Post by Darksurf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 17:56

a lot of those that I know of ARE in the portage tree. You may just need to sync your computer to the portage tree. have you ever used gentoo?? I don't mean to insult your intellegence, so please forgive me. You have used Linux far longer than I ever have. almost, but not quite double the time i have.

in a root terminal you should type "emerge --sync && layman -S" when connected to the net and type it without the quotes please. (i've had some issues of people doing this before) then press enter.

emerge --sync syncs your computer to the latest portage tree.

then layman -S syncs all your overlays such as our own sabayon overlay. (kinda like a add-on for the portage tree)

you should probably "emerge eix && update-eix" this downloads and installs eix, which is a nice console portage searching utility. it makes searching through the portage tree easier and faster.
update-eix of course updates eix to the latest sync your computer has done. Then try eix {program name here} and it should find if portage has is or not.

if not, you will either have to install it from source code manually, build an ebuild for it, or search on the net and find a 3rd party ebuild an place it in /usr/portage/{where ever it goes} and then emerge it.

voxiac
Advanced Hen

Post by voxiac » Mon Jun 18, 2007 21:33

I'll just point you to some places which I always point new users to:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml (Sections 'Working with Gentoo' and 'Working with Portage')
and our... 'localized' version here:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/wiki/index. ... tage_Guide
and don't miss this nice collection of links:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1730
This is just to get you started...

Generally if the software you need isn't in portage (or overlays or bugzilla) you'd want to get a tar. Both debs and rpms are completely alien in Sabayon/Gentoo (not like you can't install from them at all but it would require a certain amount of hackery)

And... using a mini could be advantageous if you are picky about what stuff gets installed on your system.

sqlpython
Technological Hen

Post by sqlpython » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:44

Darksurf & voxiac
Thanks for taking the time to reply
a lot of those that I know of ARE in the portage tree. You may just need to sync your computer to the portage tree. have you ever used gentoo??

I am unfamiliar with the tool and I will try a sync.. Thank You.
I don't mean to insult your intellegence, so please forgive me.
.. LOL.. No worries.. I used to frequent the FreeBSD and Apache forums..so you can't hurt my feelings. :lol:

Anyway even if I were Richard M Stallman...every system new to you has some learning curve.
Just a different way of accomplishing your usual taks, like package installation. Unless of course that Distro is based on one you are familar with and I never installed Gentoo just used a precompiled LiveCD once.

Regarding the mini vs. the dvd install, it is not that I am wanting only my particular packages. My issue is Large or Small install irrespective it is just that I want the packages on my list above Included..
So does anyone have a comment about the possibilities of my above list of packages?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:41

emerge --sync

Do that. It will update your list to show the latest and greatest packages that you can download. If you still have problems after that, then there must be something screwed up. (Or you're not looking in the right place)

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:12

I've had a quick look using Kuroo (refreshed) and the status of the specific list of apps given by the original poster is as follows:

Kontact PIM --YES
Kpilot for my Palm -- YES
Xine and RealPlayer for video --YES & YES
Amarok Music -- YES
OpenOffice --YES
GNU Cash --YES
CrossOver from Codeweavers --crossover-office-bin and crossover-office-pro-bin available
Eclipse for Java -- YES
Komodo IDE -- NO
Cforge for C++ ((which I will install per what? tar, rpm, deb??) -- NO
Pixel 32 for Image manipulation --NO (jpegpixi & libpixman available)
Mysql --YES
Knoda for mysql --YES
Perl, Java, Python --YES
DigiKam for camera --YES
Audacity sound studio --YES

voxiac
Advanced Hen

Re: Package Installs??

Post by voxiac » Tue Jun 19, 2007 13:53

sqlpython wrote:Komodo IDE
Cforge for C++ ((which I will install per what? tar, rpm, deb??)
Pixel 32 for Image manipulation
These aren't in portage but as I see they have tars available, so you can install them manually I suppose. I've not looked into Komodo as they reqire registration to see their list of files and I'm too lazy to do that.

sqlpython
Technological Hen

Post by sqlpython » Tue Jun 19, 2007 15:58

Thank you all..

I just included all my important apps in the list...
Regarding Komodo, Pixel32 and CForge I have purchased Registered Copies already. I was asking to determine if beyond Kuroo there were other issues installng these three packages but I didn't think there would be a problem.

sqlpython
Technological Hen

Darksurf ..question on your above emerge suggestion..

Post by sqlpython » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:24

Once I had completed the emerge --sync && layman -S
I had the Below Success & errors...

What steps should I follow to remedy the error :?: Thanks in Advance
Updated to revision 1340.
* Success:
* ------
* Successfully synchronized overlay "sabayon".
* Succes
Errors:
* ------
* The source of the overlay "einit" seems to have changed. You currently sync from "http://einit.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroo ... ir_overlay" while the global layman list reports "http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/ein ... ir_overlay" as correct location. Please consider removing and readding the overlay!

zouzou85
Growing Hen

Post by zouzou85 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:59

as far as i know, sabayon doesn't use einit anymore, so it is safe to delete the overlay in a terminal by:
layman -d einit
but if you insist on having that overlay, adding it again should solve the problem:
layman -a einit
overlay in gentoo is pretty much the same as repositories in debian. and layman is basically the manager of these overlays (repos). type in a terminal:
layman --help
for further info.

Also, a great source of info is the gentoo wiki
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page

search for : portage and layman